Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United is lying to me (EU261) . How to proceed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2023, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)

Hello,

Last month on 9/11 I flew BIO - FRA - IAD - DTW on United metal (except BIO - FRA that was on Lufthansa). Paid J, booked on United, and I am *G on ANA.

The IAD - DTW leg ended up being delayed more than 7 hours. Flight number was UA 6362. The reason of the delay was the plane was stuck in other airport because of weather. Of course, the weather in IAD and DTW was OK without any issues.

Considering case C-561/20 Q v. United Airlines, Inc, I contacted United to claim EU261 compensation and this has been their answer:

Thank you for your patience while we reviewed the circumstances surrounding the disruption to your travel plans. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you incurred as a result.

According to our records, the inbound flight to your location was canceled due to severe weather in Dulles. The inclement weather conditions were beyond United's control and unfortunately impacted the operation of several flights, including yours.

We received your request for monetary compensation under Regulation EC 261/2004 (EU261). Compensation is not applicable under EU261 for flight delays caused by extraordinary circumstances that could not have been reasonably predicted or avoided, so we regrettably must deny your request.

As a MileagePlus member, your understanding is appreciated. We hope to welcome you on board a United flight again soon.

Regards,

Sandy
Customer Care
The weather in Dulles was perfect, and I recall no other flights were affected. It is true that the plane that was supposed to take us from IAD to DTW was stuck in New York due to bad weather, but that's not a valid excuse, neither.

How should I proceed? Should I reply their e-mail claiming that weather was not an issue in IAD? How can I show them proof? Or should I just forget about dealing with them and claim EU261 through other method?
I am a Spanish citizen based in Spain, and the Spanish claim system is actually very bad or almost non-existent. I read before here that the German one was very fast and reliable.

Please advise.

Thank you.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by sodaisei
The weather in Dulles was perfect, and I recall no other flights were affected. It is true that the plane that was supposed to take us from IAD to DTW was stuck in New York due to bad weather, but that's not a valid excuse, neither.
There was a weather waiver posted: Travel Waiver: East Coast Severe Weather (September 8 - 11)

This is more of a question, not an answer... But does EC261 even apply on a IAD-DTW flight?
Old Oct 18, 2023, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Your next step would be to file a complaint with SOEP, the German conciliation body.

https://soep-online.de/en/
sodaisei likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 7:07 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
My limited understanding would be that if the aircraft was tied up in weather in EWR (which you admit) then weather is a legit reason?

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780

This is more of a question, not an answer... But does EC261 even apply on a IAD-DTW flight?
There was a new court case that says that it would, yes.
Markie and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
There was a weather waiver posted: Travel Waiver: East Coast Severe Weather (September 8 - 11)

It would. 261 considers your actual arrival time at final destination vs. scheduled arrival time, assuming part/all of the itinerary includes one or more 261 eligible flight(s).

With all that said, OP, just because IAD had no weather issues, the aircraft couldn't get to IAD because of weather.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
With all that said, OP, just because IAD had no weather issues, the aircraft couldn't get to IAD because of weather.
Agreed. UA isn't "lying."

That said, the ECJ appears to be of the opinion that airlines should have infinite fleets of planes and crews stashed throughout their network so that a delayed inbound flight never caused an onward delay, so OP may win the EC.261 lottery anyway.

OP: Did you follow UA's EC.261 process by as described here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35470762-post1446.html ? If so, your next step is going to be to file in a European court.
sodaisei, TXJeepGuy and hhdl like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jsloan
Agreed. UA isn't "lying."

That said, the ECJ appears to be of the opinion that airlines should have infinite fleets of planes and crews stashed throughout their network so that a delayed inbound flight never caused an onward delay, so OP may win the EC.261 lottery anyway.

OP: Did you follow UA's EC.261 process by as described here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35470762-post1446.html ? If so, your next step is going to be to file in a European court.
I'd recommend filing with SOEP next. Courts cost money and legal hours.
sodaisei likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sannmann
I'd recommend filing with SOEP next. Courts cost money and legal hours.
Fair enough. I don't remember the arcana around which countries somebody can file in -- since the delay was in the US on a US carrier, I figured the origin airport (BIO - Spain) or the residence country (again, Spain) were the only options, but since it passed through FRA I guess the Germans might have jurisdiction too.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'd just let it go. Not worth the hassle.
TerryK, SFO777, Adam1222 and 10 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
This is the WORST piece of advice. The OP should 100% pursue this.

Worst comes to worst, you may want to contact one of the online attorneys to go after United.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by smartytravel
This is the WORST piece of advice. The OP should 100% pursue this.

Worst comes to worst, you may want to contact one of the online attorneys to go after United.
Really? How much is your time worth? I've got better things to do than deal with pursuing an overseas claim that's going to net me, at best, 450 Euro.

This is such an edge case under EU261, both due to flight location and cause of delay, it doesn't even have the "UA is in the wrong" motivator for me.
SFO777, Adam1222, tcdtcd and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
100% agree. Weather happens. Arguing after the fact is a waste of everyones' time.

And that company given in the link above (www.soep.de) are nothing but ambulance chasers masquerading as people claiming to be interested in protecting travelers' rights.
wrp96, Kacee and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
OP, what was your final delay into DTW? Less than 7 hours, right?
I'd also be inclined to drop this, as it is a fringe case at best, where the outcome could go either way, despite you putting in much effort in trying to resolve it in your favor.

In the grand scheme of things, and considering you traveled halfway around the world, on different airlines and though several different countries, it is still amazing that you can get to your destination within a day, even if it is 7 hours later than expected because of unforeseen circumstances.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:15 am

Really? How much is your time worth? I've got better things to do than deal with pursuing an overseas claim that's going to net me, at best, 450 Euro.

This is such an edge case under EU261, both due to flight location and cause of delay, it doesn't even have the "UA is in the wrong" motivator for me.
It takes 10 minutes to send to the online attorney. It's 100% worth pursuing your LEGAL rights and demanding compliance with LEGAL obligations.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 18, 2023 at 6:57 pm Reason: stick to the issue, not discussing the posters
Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jsloan
Not quite. It is the case that if flying IAD to DTW, that DTW is recognised not to be a United Hub. So Extraordinary Circumstances on say IAD to DTW are allowed to impact the return IAD to DTW (which would only be in scope for EC261 on codeshares anyway). However the traveller here was going from Dulles to Detroit. The OP suggests that in fact the relevant aircraft was stuck in EWR (?) due to poor weather. That's what we call "knock-on", a rugby term, which is not allowed in EC261 (or rugby). IAD is a hub for United, as I understand it, and so the CJEU does assume that United, which is quite a large airline, would resource their fleet to accommodate a few weather incidents. In other words that they would have enough aircraft and crew to operate a replacement service. If United has taken the view that is too expensive then there is an "intolerable cost" test to that, and I can see right away that United will flunk that test. It suited United shareholders more than the passenger to take this action. Which under EC261 is OK to do, but you do need to compensate the passengers according to a particular tariff, here 600€ per passenger, if they are delayed by more than 4 hours. Had the weather affected an unusually high number of aircraft, that could be deemed to be different, since at a certain point it truly is extraordinary, but I've not see anything from the OP to indicate that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.