Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United the responsible carrier or Swiss Air for flight disruption compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is United the responsible carrier or Swiss Air for flight disruption compensation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2023, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: LatinPass Million Miler

My friend and I booked award tickets to Prague on United leaving August 27. We flew United from New York and landed in Heathrow on the morning of August 28. Unfortunately we got caught in the IT mess that shutdown the airport that day, so our connecting flights on Swiss Air were cancelled. We were told to find a hotel and that the airline would pay our expenses. We were rebooked on Austria Air the following day and arrived 24 hours later than planned.

My friend contacted United who told her to submit receipts, which she did. (We shared a room and she paid for dinner, so it made sense for her to make the claim for both of us.) Subsequently they told her that we need to submit a request for reimbursement to Swiss Air, as they were the carrier that cancelled our flights, even though we were ticketed through United. BTW, United’s Customer Care Agent has been very timely and courteous.

We can certainly pursue Swiss Air, but would like to confirm that’s the correct path. She has spent a lot of time already on this matter.

Note, that we are only looking to be reimbursed for our expenses.

Thanks
Old Oct 17, 2023, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Yes, SwissAir is where you should go. I believe UK has adopted a rule similar to EU261 requiring compensation for the delay as well, and I am guessing Switzerland has a similar rule, and given flight to Austria EU261 potentially applies. Check with SwissAir website - you may get comp in addition to expenses. Of course, they may claim some exemption.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Just a nitpick:
  • Swissair went bust in 2002
  • "Swiss International Air Lines AG" or SWISS is the current flag carrier for Switzerland
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
You claim against the carrier that caused the delay or cancellation, in this case Swiss, because UA met it's obligation to get you to LHR. Sorry you got caught up in that mess.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
Yes, SwissAir is where you should go. I believe UK has adopted a rule similar to EU261 requiring compensation for the delay as well, and I am guessing Switzerland has a similar rule, and given flight to Austria EU261 potentially applies. Check with SwissAir website - you may get comp in addition to expenses. Of course, they may claim some exemption.
Duty of care would apply for sure, but would there be 261 comp? Reason for the cancellation was beyond the control of the carrier per the OP.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Duty of care would apply for sure, but would there be 261 comp? Reason for the cancellation was beyond the control of the carrier per the OP.
Yes, duty of care only.
Originally Posted by drewguy
I believe UK has adopted a rule similar to EU261 requiring compensation for the delay as well, and I am guessing Switzerland has a similar rule, and given flight to Austria EU261 potentially applies. Check with SwissAir website - you may get comp in addition to expenses. Of course, they may claim some exemption.
No need to guess. Switzerland follows EU261 (but not the EU's pax-friendly interpretations of the regulation).
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.