Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase UA credit card works everywhere but with UA,issue with travel credit expiration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase UA credit card works everywhere but with UA,issue with travel credit expiration

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2023, 8:05 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Anyone else ever deal with this? Chase United Visa card works perfectly fine everywhere else... hotels, restaurants, etc. When I try to use it with United.com, the card is declined. My attempted booking activity appears on my online statement as a purchase and also immediately as a credit for the same amount.

I called Chase and they confirmed that my card is in good standing and said the issue is with United. I haven't called United yet but am curious if anyone else has experienced this weirdness.

Thanks.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Anyone else ever deal with this? Chase United Visa card works perfectly fine everywhere else... hotels, restaurants, etc. When I try to use it with United.com, the card is declined. My attempted booking activity appears on my online statement as a purchase and also immediately as a credit for the same amount.

I called Chase and they confirmed that my card is in good standing and said the issue is with United. I haven't called United yet but am curious if anyone else has experienced this weirdness.

Thanks.
I have never had any issues. Perhaps there is a mismatch between the billing addresses that causes it to fail? Maybe try saving your card to your PayPal account and checkout using PayPal on UA website to see if it will process through correctly? Best of luck and keep us posted if you track down the cause.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 5:35 am

I've had this happen once, recently, when trying to purchase an upgrade for money. The issue was not with my credit card, but with the UA system that came across a problem during post-payment ticketing. For me, it was that the upgrade was not actually available for purchase, even though the web site persistently indicated that it was.

Perhaps the same thing is happening with your ticket? My issue was resolved with a call that took the better part of an hour, most of it waiting on hold for the agent to try and fix things, as they coordinated with various departments. In the end, it was forced through, but I do not understand the details of how.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I think United got stricter in their handling of credit cards a while ago, so could it be some discrepancy with billing info, expiration, etc.?
Maybe delete the card from the payment options, and re-add it, making extra sure everything is correct?

Has your Chase United card ever worked on united.com?
Old Oct 14, 2023, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.
Have you tried one booking only or multiple times with the same problem? How did you get to the purchase screen on united website? E.g., united.com search, google flights, something else??

Originally Posted by MHively
I have never had any issues. Perhaps there is a mismatch between the billing addresses that causes it to fail? Maybe try saving your card to your PayPal account and checkout using PayPal on UA website to see if it will process through correctly? Best of luck and keep us posted if you track down the cause.
While not a bad idea for getting a purchase to happen, I assume this would interfere with possible extra miles for ua purchase and possible travel insurance benefits, which might obviate the point of using the card in the first place.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 7:51 am

This is 100% an issue with credit card detail. Billing info, customer name, any discrepancy in those will cause UA to cancel the purchase. Try calling UA and ask them what was flagged and caused a cancellation.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vicontt
This is 100% an issue with credit card detail. Billing info, customer name, any discrepancy in those will cause UA to cancel the purchase. Try calling UA and ask them what was flagged and caused a cancellation.
Not sure I'm understanding, but I don't think my experience matches. I routinely have minor discrepancies with card billing details (e.g., no middle name, partial address), and I never had the charges declined or the reservation retroactively undone. It just needs correct postal code and CVC from what I notice to send the charge through, and then as long as the charge does go through, it's fine.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Not sure I'm understanding, but I don't think my experience matches. I routinely have minor discrepancies with card billing details (e.g., no middle name, partial address), and I never had the charges declined or the reservation retroactively undone. It just needs correct postal code and CVC from what I notice to send the charge through, and then as long as the charge does go through, it's fine.
The charge is going through for OP as well, but it is rejected post-charge due to validation. UA for their co-branded cards can perform validation post-charge, which would be more stringent that credit card processor ones.

I also realize the bad choice of words on my part - "any discrepancy will" should be understood as "any discrepancy can"
Old Oct 14, 2023, 8:13 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
i've noticed some browser's cache CC/payment info. if that info does not match actual billing/CC info and the OP did not check with the correct info, this would occur.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 9:33 am

Add your card to PayPal or ApplePay and just use that instead. You still get all the points/credits/benefits
Old Oct 14, 2023, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Add your card to PayPal or ApplePay and just use that instead. You still get all the points/credits/benefits
But will it be recognized as a purchase made with UA card (and trigger corresponding benefits such as checked bag) if a purchase is made via PayPal?
Old Oct 14, 2023, 10:27 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Problem solved. My apologies, I left out one important detail. I was attempting to apply a travel credit that expires before my intended travel date. So, I simply applied the travel credits to an itinerary on a date before the travel credit expiration date then changed the itinerary to my desired itinerary on a date past the travel credit expiration date.
SPN Lifer, narvik and JimInOhio like this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by vicontt
But will it be recognized as a purchase made with UA card (and trigger corresponding benefits such as checked bag) if a purchase is made via PayPal?
It *should* - for example I get 5x points on restaurants on Amex Gold via PayPal, and a couple other Offers have triggered. ApplePay of course works fine.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
It *should* - for example I get 5x points on restaurants on Amex Gold via PayPal, and a couple other Offers have triggered. ApplePay of course works fine.
That is not the same thing. Points are applied based on merchant category, which PayPal certainly provides back to the card issuer. But AFAIK travel benefits apply based on credit card number used to purchase the ticket, and I am not sure if PayPal gives UA those details (it might, I know it has special agreements with a lot of entities)
Old Oct 14, 2023, 10:31 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Problem solved. My apologies, I left out one important detail. I was attempting to apply a travel credit that expires before my intended travel date. So, I simply applied the travel credits to an itinerary on a date before the travel credit expiration date then changed the itinerary to my desired itinerary on a date past the travel credit expiration date.
UA actually allows this?

LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.