Wiki Posts
Search

Manila from SFO and PlusPoints Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2023, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Manila from SFO and PlusPoints Upgrades

I booked on the new SFO/MNL service roundtrip for mid-November.

I have enough PlusPoints to UG from Premium Plus to Polaris on one leg. My wife was going to use PlusPoints to upgrade the other leg, but isn't even presented with this option when she logs into her MP account. Is this a bug, or can family/friends not UG anymore?

I've also noted light loads on these early flights. What are the chances UA is really committed to this route? Hate to go back to the HNL/GUM routing.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy LTP
Originally Posted by jimmc66

I have enough PlusPoints to UG from Premium Plus to Polaris on one leg. My wife was going to use PlusPoints to upgrade the other leg, but isn't even presented with this option when she logs into her MP account. Is this a bug, or can family/friends not UG anymore?

I've also noted light loads on these early flights. What are the chances UA is really committed to this route? Hate to go back to the HNL/GUM routing.
I doubt that UA would abandon the new route so quickly. I think they will see how it plays out at least for the holiday season (but that's just a guess). You are allowed to apply your pluspoints to upgrade other people, so not sure what the issue is. Did you try looking up the itinerary when logged into her account? Meaning, putting in the record locator and pulling it up? You can lways call in to them apply it if there is a glitch.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AnkSFO
I doubt that UA would abandon the new route so quickly. I think they will see how it plays out at least for the holiday season (but that's just a guess).
I mean, the route never made any sense to begin with -- and I say that as someone who will fly it if it sticks. The economy fares they're charging to connect from the rest of the country are extremely high. They must know something that I don't, and I've already been burned once by positing that UA had no intention of competing directly against Philippine Airlines, so I won't make any calls, but if I had to bet, I'd expect it to last no more than one season.
Repooc17 likes this.

Last edited by jsloan; Oct 9, 2023 at 4:12 pm
Old Oct 9, 2023, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by jsloan
]

I mean, the route never made any sense to begin with -- and I say that as someone who will fly it if it sticks. The economy fares they're charging to connect from the rest of the country are extremely high. They must know something that I don't, and I've already been burned once by positing that UA had no intention of competing directly against Philippine Airlines, so I won't make any calls, but if I had to bet, I'd expect it to last no more than one season.
NW and then DL had two daily 747s out of MNL... but both stopped in Japan. They made it work for decades.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertS975
NW and then DL had two daily 747s out of MNL... but both stopped in Japan. They made it work for decades.
Apples and oranges. The stop in Tokyo makes all the difference -- it becomes a much cheaper flight to operate, and they can also take advantage of local TYO-MNL traffic.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 4:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I have enough PlusPoints to UG from Premium Plus to Polaris on one leg. My wife was going to use PlusPoints to upgrade the other leg, but isn't even presented with this option when she logs into her MP account. ......
Did she pull up you reservation and select upgrades?
Old Oct 9, 2023, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

I have enough PlusPoints to UG from Premium Plus to Polaris on one leg. My wife was going to use PlusPoints to upgrade the other leg, but isn't even presented with this option when she logs into her MP account...
Does she have her own PlusPoints? If you’re the one with the PlusPoints, you need to log into your account, enter her confirmation code in “find a trip”, and apply your points there.

Edit - I guess you want her to apply her PPs to the second leg of your trip? Then she needs to find your reservation using “find a trip” and then try there.

if this is not the case - never mind…
jsloan, SPN Lifer, mikeyf and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone seen at least pn space on that flt? I check occasionally but fares remain sky-high, no confirmable upgrades and seemingly empty cabins. I hate this game of chicken but I ll wait...
Old Oct 9, 2023, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
Has anyone seen at least pn space on that flt?
Yes. PN9 PZ0 IN9 has started to appear across many of the dates I've checked over the next couple of months.

While I normally don't consider waitlisting for long-haul flights, in this particular case I'm willing to roll the dice -- with a suitable backup plan in mind, of course. The biggest danger is not that they'll sell all of the seats -- the biggest danger is that there will be a mechanical issue the previous day and that they will merge two half-full J cabins together.
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
MNL is a generally low yield market, so there aren’t a large number of pax buying PremEco or business class seats. Will be one of the easier markets for upgrades.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 8:41 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by azepine00
Has anyone seen at least pn space on that flt? I check occasionally but fares remain sky-high, no confirmable upgrades and seemingly empty cabins. I hate this game of chicken but I ll wait...
I’ve gotten my wife and I both cleared to mnl and back in early November with PN space
SPN Lifer, jsloan and blacke61 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.