Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA949 delay 2 hours on 8 October 2023 (crew rest area issue created overbooking?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA949 delay 2 hours on 8 October 2023 (crew rest area issue created overbooking?)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2023, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist

Does anyone know what's going on with the delay? My family member is stuck on this flight and they are claiming it's because a passenger is refusing to downgrade from polaris to PE? I am confused as to how this can happen.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Downgrades happen. What is surprising is the fact that UA doesn’t ask for volunteers given the many direct and indirect flights on this route. I am sure $1000 and it is a done deal to take a later flight, maybe even $500
arf04 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
Downgrades happen. What is surprising is the fact that UA doesn’t ask for volunteers given the many direct and indirect flights on this route. I am sure $1000 and it is a done deal to take a later flight, maybe even $500
There are not that many direct flights on this route, and UA has only 2. UA949 is the second one, so any rebooking would be for Monday - which would take a ton of diff for business and leisure travellers alike, so not surprised about the lack of volunteers.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 8:32 am

They were asking for volunteers. They had to get 4 of them. Not an easy task especially when you’ve boarded the plane already and people are settled in.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 9:03 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
They were asking for volunteers. They had to get 4 of them. Not an easy task especially when you’ve boarded the plane already and people are settled in.
What would cause them to need four volunteers for downgrading? It doesn't appear to be an a/c swap.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by vicontt
There are not that many direct flights on this route, and UA has only 2. UA949 is the second one, so any rebooking would be for Monday - which would take a ton of diff for business and leisure travellers alike, so not surprised about the lack of volunteers.
Shows a third flight (939) that left at 2pm BST. Though it shows booked full as well (1 upgrade). But no other viable connections to SFO, so anyone displaced was staying in London or some other US hub (later flights to IAD and EWR do exist).

Anyway - wild guess that they'd run upgrade list and then some paid GS either missed connection or otherwise so they sought to accommodate.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
What would cause them to need four volunteers for downgrading? It doesn't appear to be an a/c swap.
I was on a EWR-LHR flight once during the summer with a heavy storm causing all kinds of issues with misconnects in EWR that day. My flight was on a 757, I boarded and was sitting in the last row of business class when a GA boarded the plane and began going row to row front to back asking for a volunteer to downgrade to Y. Everyone said no. When she got to me, I really didn't want to move down to Y but was offered $2000 so I accepted. Moved to an exit row aisle seat and was promised a business class meal. About a half an hour later while still at the gate same GA boarded the plane again and told me that they no longer needed my seat up front and that I could move back up. My vouchers were 2x $1000 (if I remember correctly they couldn't assign more than $1000 per). GA asked for them back. I handed them back, she held them in her hands and thought about for a few seconds and handed one of them back to me, letting me keep it, thanking me again for volunteering my seat.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
Shows a third flight (939) that left at 2pm BST. Though it shows booked full as well (1 upgrade). But no other viable connections to SFO, so anyone displaced was staying in London or some other US hub (later flights to IAD and EWR do exist).

Anyway - wild guess that they'd run upgrade list and then some paid GS either missed connection or otherwise so they sought to accommodate.
The last flight to ORD doesn't (didn't) go until 3:20 PM but it looks like it went out full anyway. Two connections to SFO from there.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
III.DD.5 of the AFA contract
. On flights over eight (8) hours where the regularly scheduled equipment or crew rest facility is not available, the Company shall provide five (5) sleeper seats on 747 aircraft and four (4) sleeper seats on all other aircraft for use for on-board crew rest
Old Oct 8, 2023, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

o.k., that's harder ... However, money can almost always fix that. How much were they offering? Did they have inop seats?
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by cfischer
o.k., that's harder ... However, money can almost always fix that. How much were they offering? Did they have inop seats?
Looks like this flight (949) went out 47/50 in Polaris and 23/24 in PP, so perhaps that is true. Although only shows 1 unoccupied seat in Polaris.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4 seats blocked in row 11&12

Last edited by cfischer; Oct 8, 2023 at 12:32 pm
Old Oct 8, 2023, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
III.DD.5 of the AFA contract... . On flights over eight (8) hours where the regularly scheduled equipment or crew rest facility is not available, the Company shall provide five (5) sleeper seats on 747 aircraft and four (4) sleeper seats on all other aircraft for use for on-board crew rest
In the absence of an aircraft swap or broken seats, what would cause that situation to come up suddenly, such that they needed to ask for volunteers in order to accommodate that obligation because they were now overbooked? LHR-SFO is always well over 8 hours, so it's not as if it's normally a hair under and then due to weather predicted at the last minute to take longer than 8 hours and thus trigger the requirement at the last minute.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
In the absence of an aircraft swap or broken seats, what would cause that situation to come up suddenly
today’s issue is a deferral in the crew rest area that arose after boarding
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by runner450
today’s issue is a deferral in the crew rest area that arose after boarding
deferral: a postponement of an action or event

What does that have to do with a crew rest area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.