Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Single-aisle Polaris seat details shown in patent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2023, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Some details about United's new single-aisle Polaris seat are now available, thanks to a patent filing by United and Acumen.

The herringbone design shows the seats set at a 49° angle from the direction of travel, similar to the Collins Aurora seat. But this one also has a unique "space-sharing" feature which effectively creates an "arm well" of overlap between adjacent seats. It is an interesting concept which ultimately can see the seats pitched at 28" in the cabin while still providing a 75-78" bed.

It is an interesting tweak to increase cabin density.

Link goes to my story about the patent with additional details included.
PTahCha, dw, GUWonder and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Herringbone

Not a fan...at all. Something just irks me to have all seats -every single one- face away from the windows.

And from the linked article:
"Notably absent from the seat descriptions in both patents is any mention of privacy doors. Perhaps that is an option in the design and would not affect either patent so it was excluded. And it seems unlikely that United would go to market at this point without them given the competitive landscape."

Still going on with the doors.Let's hope they introduce new seats when the door 'fad' has already died down, and they don't bother with them.
zrs70, moondog, iluv2fly and 10 others like this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 8:16 am

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Thanks for sharing this! Given that the 49-degree angle seems to be a key feature, I’m just curious what the angle is on other herringbone seats like NZ/VS? Is the shared armrest space really not possible with other angles, or did the other carriers simply not choose it bc they weren’t going for that kind of density?
Old Sep 10, 2023, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by autobahnal
Thanks for sharing this! Given that the 49-degree angle seems to be a key feature, I’m just curious what the angle is on other herringbone seats like NZ/VS? Is the shared armrest space really not possible with other angles, or did the other carriers simply not choose it bc they weren’t going for that kind of density?
On a twin-aisle aircraft the angle is significantly lower, typically in the 25-30 degree range IIRC. You don't get the same value of the overlap in that scenario.
SPN Lifer and autobahnal like this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 8:23 am

A 75" bed is really tight ... especially for someone who is 6'4".
Old Sep 10, 2023, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
A 75" bed is really tight ... especially for someone who is 6'4".
Most people are not 6'4". Expecting an airline to have seats that cater to the minority is like asking them to have seats that are 30 inches wide to accommodate the obese.
lowfareair, dknn, msat and 11 others like this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 8:50 am

What's the length of the existing widebody Polaris seats? 75-77" too?
Old Sep 10, 2023, 8:51 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
Most people are not 6'4". Expecting an airline to have seats that cater to the minority is like asking them to have seats that are 30 inches wide to accommodate the obese.
this. given economy seats are set to the 'average' waist size of 40" waist of 17" width. anything more than average and you don't fit. IOW, if you are above average too bad, so sad.
chavala and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
What's the length of the existing widebody Polaris seats? 75-77" too?
Yeah.

One challenge with this design is the footwell shape because of the angle. The seat may feel shorter even with the same measured length as a result of that geometry. But it is a comparable length in the specs.
dw and ezefllying like this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
The dense and narrow configuration reminds me of Air New Zealand's business seats, although these look to offer more privacy. Here's another schematic from the patent - as is, I don't see space for doors to be stored.

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 9:23 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If that's really the UA narrow-body lie-flat, it's gonna be super narrow with a restrictive footwell. I guess no one should be surprised if UA opts for industry-leading density over passenger comfort.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
The dense and narrow configuration reminds me of Air New Zealand's business seats, although these look to offer more privacy. Here's another schematic from the patent - as is, I don't see space for doors to be stored.

There are alternate versions of the layout that would include a "screen" between the aisle and the seat where the table/IFE screen are. That would provide a casing where the door would recess when open, should one be included.

I don't see much value in adding the doors, but once a marketing concept takes hold in this industry it is hard to shake it off, regardless of the value. And doors in business class is that concept these days IMO.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 9:35 am

The existing Polaris seats are 78" long on all aircraft types. Most other airlines also offer at least 78" for their lie-flat seats. United's 757s (old non-Polaris seats) are 76" long, and they are really tight (at least for me). The A321 seat appears to be worse, especially with that angled footwell.

I will wait until I get to try it before passing judgement, but this does not look promising.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 9:39 am

Ugh -- I like looking out the windows! Not a fan of this layout.
Rare, Xyzzy, lincolnjkc and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 9:41 am

I don't love it, but if making it this dense gets the finances right to add more lie-flat seats per plane and/or configure more planes with lie-flat seats and deploy them on longer routes that use recliners today, I support it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.