Wiki Posts
Search

UA RJs and Crutches

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2023, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
UA RJs and Crutches

I’ve landed myself on crutches for the next little while. I have 8 segments next week on RJs…..7 550s and one 185, all in F. Anyone know where the crutches go in flight?
Old Sep 5, 2023, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA GS and 1MM; SPG/Marr Plat; Hilton Gold
Good chance they won't fit in the overhead, so hope the flight attendant will find space in their closet.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 7:57 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by cmculp
I’ve landed myself on crutches for the next little while. I have 8 segments next week on RJs…..7 550s and one 185, all in F. Anyone know where the crutches go in flight?
If they don't fit in the overhead or in the closet, then another option (which I didn't like when I was on crutches and did not like when I was an airline manager and crew would suggest this....) is place on the floor parallel to the side of the plane, along the window. They won't/shouldn't try to check them... there are no limits of liability on assistive devices so any scratch and they have to provide new, but that does you zero good sitting in a wheelchair in a jetway with a crutch bent in half.

On the CRJ-550 they might fit between cabins in the baggage cabinet on top of other items at an angle.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 10:50 pm
hch

I've taken in crutches and places them in the overhead bin on CRJs, although that wasn't with UA but in Europe. They fit, just make sure you preboard so that there is space, and expect to get off last.

EDIT: This was using forearm crutches as that's what we usually use in Europe, in the US I've seen a lot of what appears to be called "axillary crutches", which probably won't fit.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 12:35 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by JAXPax
If they don't fit in the overhead or in the closet, then another option (which I didn't like when I was on crutches and did not like when I was an airline manager and crew would suggest this....) is place on the floor parallel to the side of the plane, along the window. They won't/shouldn't try to check them... there are no limits of liability on assistive devices so any scratch and they have to provide new, but that does you zero good sitting in a wheelchair in a jetway with a crutch bent in half.

On the CRJ-550 they might fit between cabins in the baggage cabinet on top of other items at an angle.
My husband travelled with crotches for nearly a year. Half of the time, the crotches fit in the overhead bin (preferred) and half of the time, next to the wall on the floor (some FA didn't allow this and best if you have window seat). Only once in a blue moon the crotches went into the closet (most inconvenient).
Old Sep 6, 2023, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. Sounds like it will be a wing it situation.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Crutches are usually adjustable height, so you should be able to reduce to the smallest size, and it should be a bit more "fit-able."
Old Sep 6, 2023, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Crutches are usually adjustable height, so you should be able to reduce to the smallest size, and it should be a bit more "fit-able."
Yep. In my case down to 34 inches.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.