Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Stealth Devaluation: The Disappearance Of Mixed Cabin Awards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2023, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM

Before the May Massacre to United's hidden saver award chart rates, United.com used to offer domestic saver coach connecting to international saver business. You would just pay the international saver business rate.

For the past few months, I haven't seen the option come up at all. Even if there's domestic save coach, it won't offer it as a mixed cabin award connecting to international saver business. Instead it forces the whole award to the dynamic/everyday priced award. The only "workaround" is to book it as a multi-city, which means paying the saver domestic rate and the saver international rate.

Anyone else notice this stealth devaluation? Is there any other workaround to get the mixed cabin award?
jcturnbull and mherdeg like this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 8:31 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by ctownflyer

Anyone else notice this stealth devaluation? Is there any other workaround to get the mixed cabin award?
Are you referring to to JN or I awards, I can still see domestic X paired with partner I awards (for example search ZRH - SFO next spring) so assume they would for United I awards. However I availability has all but disappeared except for Plat/1K members who can access IN.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 8:51 am
hch

I've seen plenty saver awards with domestic segments in economy in the last month. They did always include a partner segment, but the partner segment didn't have to be a long-haul one.
TXJeepGuy and mherdeg like this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Are you referring to to JN or I awards, I can still see domestic X paired with partner I awards (for example search ZRH - SFO next spring) so assume they would for United I awards. However I availability has all but disappeared except for Plat/1K members who can access IN.
Originally Posted by hch
I've seen plenty saver awards with domestic segments in economy in the last month. They did always include a partner segment, but the partner segment didn't have to be a long-haul one.
I'm referring to UA metal-only awards. Specifically, XN/IN, but I assume the problem also exists for X/I with UA metal awards.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
I'm referring to UA metal-only awards. Specifically, XN/IN, but I assume the problem also exists for X/I with UA metal awards.
Agree. Domestic X/XN used to be common for connections to int’l IN/I, but now UA is holding those domestic segments back for $. For instance, IAH-ORD/EWR-Europe will either not have any availability on domestic flight in X/XN, or it will only have availability on 6am departure with 8hr layover …
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Ugh, yeah, that's gone. Must still be bookable over the phone? Not being able to get XN for a feeder to connect to a TATL/TPAC IN would be a huge devaluation ... probably unintended by UA.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Yep, noticed the same when doing some flight searches a few weeks ago.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
Ugh, yeah, that's gone. Must still be bookable over the phone? Not being able to get XN for a feeder to connect to a TATL/TPAC IN would be a huge devaluation ... probably unintended by UA.
Nope, called the GS desk multiple times. They can't do a thing anymore.
Just absurd.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

LOL, I'm betting they did this in order to sell more domestic upgrades.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
LOL, I'm betting they did this in order to sell more domestic upgrades.
While that usually seems like a safe bet for why UA did something, I'm not following here. How does blocking X/XN paired to I/IN give opportunity to sell more upgrades?
United747, econ, SPN Lifer and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Nope, called the GS desk multiple times. They can't do a thing anymore.
Just absurd.
By the way, thank you so much for your informative and watchman-like posts here. I don't pay close enough attention to UA's devaluations and price increases because I am so busy with my business. But now, anytime I see a post from you, I pay immediate attention because I know that something has happened that's going to cost me more money or miles.

You are one of the reasons that I've shifted most of my paid premium cabin travel to DL. I am no longer willing to take an extra connection just to fly UA. UA miles will soon be equal to Skypesos in value.
SS255, nnn, jcturnbull and 8 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zombietooth
By the way, thank you so much for your informative and watchman-like posts here. I don't pay close enough attention to UA's devaluations and price increases because I am so busy with my business. But now, anytime I see a post from you, I pay immediate attention because I know that something has happened that's going to cost me more money or miles.

You are one of the reasons that I've shifted most of my paid premium cabin travel to DL. I am no longer willing to take an extra connection just to fly UA. UA miles will soon be equal to Skypesos in value.
UA appears to copy every DL negative move, but none of the positives.
I still find more value in UA miles than DL miles, but it's much closer than it's ever been before. This is just another move to make it even closer.
SPN Lifer and nnn like this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Must be a clerical error since they still allow XN in conjunction with partner awards; I don't see how possibly it was intended to no longer offer that for UA-op connections but continue to offer it for *A.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Must be a clerical error since they still allow XN in conjunction with partner awards; I don't see how possibly it was intended to no longer offer that for UA-op connections but continue to offer it for *A.
Perhaps, but it has been this way for several months now with no signs of it changing.
I miss the days when phone agents could mix and match saver award segments, but those are long gone.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps, but it has been this way for several months now with no signs of it changing.
I miss the days when phone agents could mix and match saver award segments, but those are long gone.
They can ... if you get a good one. Had a manual pricing more than once this year ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.