Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weird UA - LH issue after UA mangled reservation with schedule change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2023, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver

I booked a flight to Germany in January on United flying COS--DEN--MUC on UA metal, then returning BER--MUC (LH flight number on LH metal), MUC--ORD (LH flight number on LH metal) then ORD-COS (UA flight/metal. Have an 016 ticket. As of yesterday, everything was fine on both the UA and LH sites.

Yesterday, UA dropped the DEN-MUC flight from its schedule and rebooked me automatically on a DEN--ORD--MUC itinerary (with travel beginning at 1:30PM from Denver) AND left my original connecting COS-DEN leg that left 5 hours later at 6:30PM on the same day. Obviously, that doesn't work, because I can't leave my originating airport 5 hours AFTER my first connection.

When I called UA, at first they didn't understand the problem, but once they noticed the flight from my originating airport was 5 hours later than the first connecting flight, they rebooked me COS-ORD-MUC. No problem.

Now, on LH's website, my itinerary with their booking code shows the mangled DEN-ORD-MUC-COS-DEN itinerary. I had wanted to pre-purchase seats on my unchanged return, but LH's site now says my itinerary is not changeable and to contact them.

Compounding the issue, a few hours before the schedule changed, I upgraded to Premium Plus into RN space on the DEN-MUC original flight. This resulted in a new eTicket number being issued. That said, when UA rebooked me on the ORD-MUC flight, it was in RN space, and my itinerary on LH's site shows "Premium Economy." So it seems like LH got the updated eTicket number.

When UA fixed the mangled outbound reservation, the eTicket number did not change.

When I contacted LH, they told me that United messed up the reservation and it needs to be fixed to the correct city pairs and re-ticketed. UA says they already did that and to contact LH. Neither can tell me what to tell the other airline. Hoping to get some insight or some magic words to tell any agent to see what the true problem is.

Thank you!

Last edited by ununoctium; Aug 31, 2023 at 9:18 am Reason: edited city codes for clarity
Old Aug 31, 2023, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I’ve noticed this issue as well. If you change a United ticket that has Lufthansa segments on it, the Lufthansa record does not drop the changed segments. On Lufthansa’s system, it keeps the dropped segments but without a ticket number assigned to them.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ununoctium
I booked a flight to Germany in January on United flying COS--DEN--MUC on UA metal, then returning BER--MUC (LH flight number on LH metal), MUC--ORD (LH flight number on LH metal) then ORD-COS (UA flight/metal. Have an 016 ticket. As of yesterday, everything was fine on both the UA and LH sites.

Yesterday, UA dropped the DEN-MUC flight from its schedule and rebooked me automatically on a DEN--ORD--MUC itinerary (with travel beginning at 1:30PM from Denver) AND left my original connecting COS-DEN leg that left 5 hours later at 6:30PM on the same day. Obviously, that doesn't work, because I can't leave my originating airport 5 hours AFTER my first connection.

When I called UA, at first they didn't understand the problem, but once they noticed the flight from my originating airport was 5 hours later than the first connecting flight, they rebooked me COS-ORD-MUC. No problem.

Now, on LH's website, my itinerary with their booking code shows the mangled DEN-ORD-MUC-COS-DEN itinerary. I had wanted to pre-purchase seats on my unchanged return, but LH's site now says my itinerary is not changeable and to contact them.

Compounding the issue, a few hours before the schedule changed, I upgraded to Premium Plus into RN space on the DEN-MUC original flight. This resulted in a new eTicket number being issued. That said, when UA rebooked me on the ORD-MUC flight, it was in RN space, and my itinerary on LH's site shows "Premium Economy." So it seems like LH got the updated eTicket number.

When UA fixed the mangled outbound reservation, the eTicket number did not change.

When I contacted LH, they told me that United messed up the reservation and it needs to be fixed to the correct city pairs and re-ticketed. UA says they already did that and to contact LH. Neither can tell me what to tell the other airline. Hoping to get some insight or some magic words to tell any agent to see what the true problem is.

Thank you!
This is why I don’t mix UA and LH flight numbers on a single trip. All it takes is one hiccup and you’re in no man’s land.

You might try visiting a LH staffed ticket desk at DEN if you have the time. If not, do it as soon as you arrive in Germany.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This is normal and not usually a concern. Now, the upgrade with schedule change and re-ticketing can be problematic ... but all UA metal? Then it should be good.

Any kind of waitlist/change throws LH off, not surprised you can't purchase a seat. They should be able to do that ... you will have to call. or try the app ... that sometimes works as well
Old Aug 31, 2023, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

We really wanted to fly the A350, so that's why we ended up on LH.

After going 'round and 'round with United, they re-issued the ticket, and everything synced with Lufthansa again.

Then bought premium economy on LH.com on the LH-metal TATL flight, which put the reservation out of sync on United's site. After reading the FT threads on it, since everything looks good on UA flights on UA's site and LH flights on LH's sites for now, I am ignoring the big red message on UA saying I need to call and have the itinerary re-ticketed. Will keep an eye on it!
clkc86 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After going 'round and 'round with United, they re-issued the ticket, and everything synced with Lufthansa again.

Then bought premium economy on LH.com on the LH-metal TATL flight, which put the reservation out of sync on United's site. After reading the FT threads on it, since everything looks good on UA flights on UA's site and LH flights on LH's sites for now, I am ignoring the big red message on UA saying I need to call and have the itinerary re-ticketed. Will keep an eye on it!
yes, correct. Upgrades on the LH side mess w/ the reservation on the UA end, but can be ignored.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P

Yes - don't mess with it -- once you check in everything will be fine. I wish their systems would sync up better but to be honest it has improved in the past 10 years -- sometimes you can even select a seat on .bomb on an LH flight now....

Unfortunately I also have this issue all the time and the systems usually resync after 24 hours -- but not always and it can be stressful for close-in flights. On my flights to / from BAH LH used to fly the A340 with F -- and I loved upgrading those flights and was often the only one up there -- but it always caused this syncing issue -- eventually I learned to just leave it alone....
BearX220 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Yes - don't mess with it -- once you check in everything will be fine. I wish their systems would sync up better but to be honest it has improved in the past 10 years -- sometimes you can even select a seat on .bomb on an LH flight now....

Unfortunately I also have this issue all the time and the systems usually resync after 24 hours -- but not always and it can be stressful for close-in flights. On my flights to / from BAH LH used to fly the A340 with F -- and I loved upgrading those flights and was often the only one up there -- but it always caused this syncing issue -- eventually I learned to just leave it alone....
The flight is in a few months, so I am sure there will be issues along the way as schedules change!
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 11:31 pm

UA+LH systems are not very well synced, LH uses Amadeus, UA their own system. If you book something with a travel agent who uses Amadeus, its instantly synced to LH but takes a while until it shows in the UA system. New segments usually get instantly pushed to the UA system, but any changes for the same segment (i.e. booking class change) takes up to 24hours for it to be synced with the UA system.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 3:36 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott
Just had a similar problem headed to Munich. CMH to ORD united. ORD to MUC I had united change to be LH 435 so I could apply plus points. Plus points came through, but then all hell broke loose on my ticket. When I checked in at CMH, I had to go to airport because app wouldn't let me. Then when I boarded, the GA get an `APIS out of sync' error which is some sort of security issue. I called GS and the GA called their tech support but couldn't get me to board. Finally pilot came out, looked me in the eye and stated he was ok with me flying on his plane. Landed in ORD, had to go to lufthansa desk outside T1 security and they printed my boarding pass and voila I am in Europe. Not even sure what an APIS sync problem is. The GS agent was terrific but simply couldn't solve the problem since I was at the airport. She shared that weird sync things happen since my ticket was a Changed ticket from a few months ago, switched to LH flights, successful pluspoints, etc.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
yes, correct. Upgrades on the LH side mess w/ the reservation on the UA end, but can be ignored.
Not always. I had an issue with this last week — upgraded an LH flight using Plus Points and ended up having that segment deleted. OP should make sure both airlines understand and have his flights in their systems.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by craftyabs
Just had a similar problem headed to Munich. CMH to ORD united. ORD to MUC I had united change to be LH 435 so I could apply plus points. Plus points came through, but then all hell broke loose on my ticket. When I checked in at CMH, I had to go to airport because app wouldn't let me. Then when I boarded, the GA get an `APIS out of sync' error which is some sort of security issue. I called GS and the GA called their tech support but couldn't get me to board. Finally pilot came out, looked me in the eye and stated he was ok with me flying on his plane. Landed in ORD, had to go to lufthansa desk outside T1 security and they printed my boarding pass and voila I am in Europe. Not even sure what an APIS sync problem is. The GS agent was terrific but simply couldn't solve the problem since I was at the airport. She shared that weird sync things happen since my ticket was a Changed ticket from a few months ago, switched to LH flights, successful pluspoints, etc.
APIS is the system that CBP uses to track departing / arriving passengers. Airlines transmit the data to CBP in advance of the flight. Here is an overview: APIS - Advance Passenger Information System

Something about your passenger information got mangled I'm thinking...
craftyabs likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craftyabs
That seems like a different type of problem ...

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Not always. I had an issue with this last week — upgraded an LH flight using Plus Points and ended up having that segment deleted. OP should make sure both airlines understand and have his flights in their systems.
How do you know it was an issue? What happened? I have flown no issues w/ flight segment missing on united.com . As long as the ticket is o.k.,it shouldn't matter if the united.com is showing the LH segment.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
How do you know it was an issue? What happened? I have flown no issues w/ flight segment missing on united.com . As long as the ticket is o.k.,it shouldn't matter if the united.com is showing the LH segment.
I know it was an issue because LH refused to let me check in for the flight the night before my departure. When I checked the LH website, they called my LH confirmation number “invalid” and when I pulled up the itinerary with the LH confirmation number, it didn’t show the LH flight from CPT to FRA. UA also didn’t show that flight segment but they hadn’t shown it since I got the flight upgraded using Plus Points — at the time, I figured it was some thing with LH taking control of my reservation on that segment due to the upgrade. I got to the itinerary in another way and it DID show my flight so I called MP. Their agent checked into things and confirmed that LH had deleted the segment due to some issue between UA and LH. About 2 hours later, she had my original booking reinstated (minus the upgrade requests) and I was able to check in.

I don’t want to hijack this thread — I’ve recounted the story in detail elsewhere — just confirming OP’s and other reports about communication issues between LH and UA causing reservation problems.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 4:00 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
APIS is the system that CBP uses to track departing / arriving passengers. Airlines transmit the data to CBP in advance of the flight. Here is an overview: APIS - Advance Passenger Information System

Something about your passenger information got mangled I'm thinking...
Mangled sounds right. I think there was a disconnect with my full name not getting sent to LH? Either way, I fly home this weekend out of MAD and all united, so hopefully no more mangledness

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.