Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is Guam considered a major UA Hub? random FT question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2023, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold

I think I know the back 1/2 of hemisphere mag like the back of my hand....and I got wondering today
UA lists pictures of the layouts of all their major hubs - and Guam?

did they just include it because they had a small corner of the page to fill?

I know that UA plays a major role in serving the islands - but how often do random readers ask "hmmm... I wonder what the airport layout is for Guam"?

-m

also - per other random threads - no Old Fashions on 2 segments today in E+ and no button holes on 2 segments last week in First
drgreg likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 9:24 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by mfirst
I think I know the back 1/2 of hemisphere mag like the back of my hand....and I got wondering today
UA lists pictures of the layouts of all their major hubs - and Guam?

did they just include it because they had a small corner of the page to fill?

I know that UA plays a major role in serving the islands - but how often do random readers ask "hmmm... I wonder what the airport layout is for Guam"?

-m

also - per other random threads - no Old Fashions on 2 segments today in E+ and no button holes on 2 segments last week in First
GUM plays a special role in the UA network but it is not major hub. It is an important transit point for passengers and air freight within that part of the Pacific so consider it a regional hub. CO used to consistently refer to it as a hub, but pre-merger they served more cities in Japan from GUM. Hemispheres shows many airport diagrams, not just the major hubs.

GUM also has a United Club but for some reason they don't show it in Hemispheres. Great agents there. I sometimes check the airport diagram to find a lounge or see how far my gate is. My first time into an airport like GUM I would definitely take a look at the diagram.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 9:35 pm

Is Guam considered a major UA Hub?
no
Old Aug 29, 2023, 9:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A prime definition of a hub is non-stop connectivity to all other hubs, as GUM has no connectivity to any hub, the question is answered.

GUM was a "hub" for the older Continental Micronesia operations which has mostly been dismantled. As such United still lists GUM as a "hub" but it does not operator like other hubs.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 29, 2023 at 9:57 pm Reason: Continental Micronesia
Old Aug 29, 2023, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I was implying "hub" because all of the other included airports appears to be major hub/locations/destinations for UA - the GUM was clearly a "which one of these is not like the others"
Old Aug 29, 2023, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A prime definition of a hub is non-stop connectivity to all other hubs, as GUM has no connectivity to any hub, the question is answered.
Huh? I've never heard that definition of hub. A hub is a place that offers a plethora of flights to non-hubs. And, yes, of course GUM is a hub. It's not as big a hub as it used to be, sadly, but it's quite evidently a hub.

By your definition, UA would have scores of hubs, such as Austin and San Antonio. And Cleveland.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Guam is a hub in name only.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Based on this link, it's not a hub.
https://www.united.com/en/us/newsroom/hub-airports.html

However, GUM provides crucial connectivity in the Pacific and is a base for some aircraft and crew.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Based on this link, it's not a hub.
https://www.united.com/en/us/newsroom/hub-airports.html

However, GUM provides crucial connectivity in the Pacific and is a base for some aircraft and crew.
We had similar discussion in the past. Based on this link it is . https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...port/maps.html.

Based on the 10K 2022(where united has to truthfully report or face financial consequences), Guam is a hub

https://ir.united.com/node/30221/html

​​​​​​
North AmericaThe Company transports people and cargo throughout North America and to destinations in Asia, Europe, Africa, the Pacific, the Middle East and Latin America. UAL, through United and its regional carriers, operates across six continents, with hubs at Newark Liberty International Airport ("EWR"), Chicago O'Hare International Airport ("ORD"), Denver International Airport ("DEN"), George Bush Intercontinental Airport ("IAH"), Los Angeles International Airport ("LAX"), A.B. Won Pat International Airport ("GUM"), San Francisco International Airport ("SFO") and Washington Dulles International Airport ("IAD").

Facilities. United leases gates, hangar sites, terminal buildings and other airport facilities in the municipalities it serves. United has major terminal facility leases at SFO, IAD, ORD, LAX, DEN, EWR, IAH and GUM with expiration dates ranging from 2023 through 2053. Substantially all of these facilities are leased on a net-rental basis, resulting in the Company having financial responsibility for maintenance, insurance and other facility-related expenses and services.
​​​​​​​
jsloan, SPN Lifer, lars747 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 6:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Huh? I've never heard that definition of hub. A hub is a place that offers a plethora of flights to non-hubs. And, yes, of course GUM is a hub. It's not as big a hub as it used to be, sadly, but it's quite evidently a hub.

By your definition, UA would have scores of hubs, such as Austin and San Antonio. And Cleveland.
Yeah, that's a strange definition of a hub. I agree with your definition.

Originally Posted by paperwastage
We had similar discussion in the past. Based on this link it is . https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...port/maps.html.

Based on the 10K 2022(where united has to truthfully report or face financial consequences), Guam is a hub

https://ir.united.com/node/30221/html
Exactly, GUM is a hub. Its not a major hub, its not a mainland US hub, but it is still a hub for UA.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, uanj and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Isn't UA the only airline allowed to provide pax services to mainland US based on some kind of government agreement? I would assume there are plenty of active personnel on the flight?
Old Aug 30, 2023, 7:36 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I think of a "hub" as an airport that facilitates lots of connecting traffic, and I think GUM does not do very much of that. Some, sure, but the vast majority of GUM's traffic seems to be local so I'd say it's more like a focus city operation than a hub operation.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Is UAL the only big 3 airline to serve these outlying islands? Didn't CO before the merger do this or is this the same route?
Old Aug 30, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Isn't UA the only airline allowed to provide pax services to mainland US based on some kind of government agreement? I would assume there are plenty of active personnel on the flight?
You mean to GUM? DL flew to GUM until January 2018.

https://www.kuam.com/story/36387639/...g-guam-service
Old Aug 30, 2023, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Duck1981
Who can provide services to/from Guam?

As for who can fly from Guam to conusa under govt money

Fly America act , if USA gov is funding , must use a "USA flag carrier", but there are exceptions (open skies EU/Japan/..., or USA carrier codesharing on other metal, or other )

https://www.gsa.gov/policy-regulatio...ly-america-act.

If military/DOD, open skies may not apply (there a lot of rules, see example PDF https://globetrottermgmt.com/globe/w...-checklist.pdf.

I'm too lazy to see if GUM-NRT (UA codeshare on NH) , NRT-SFO(UA) would count as DOD military

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.