Using Childrens Miles

Old Aug 27, 2023, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, Chase, Amex
Using Childrens Miles

Was provided 30k miles for each of 5 people in family due to debacle June 27, when entire trip to Ireland was canceled. Each member of family had these miles deposited to their United accounts. I am trying to book a business class ticket, however, transferring the difference to their accounts, or their 30k points to my account to book a 61k business class is going to cost over $1,000. Is there any work around to accomplishing this booking without having to shell out a grand? Can I book the flights economy fare, then later use my points to increase teh fare to business? Mind you, they are minors.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sqrblk
Is there any work around to accomplishing this booking without having to shell out a grand? Can I book the flights economy fare, then later use my points to increase teh fare to business?
Unfortunately, no.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
At least the miles don't expire now, so you can just save them up and eventually you can book something you find worthwhile with the miles.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by sqrblk
Can I book the flights economy fare, then later use my points to increase teh fare to business? Mind you, they are minors.
United offers Mileage Plus upgrade awards from coach tickets (if purchased), so you could potentially use their miles to upgrade your cash ticket. But it is a waitlist/space available process and no guarantees.

You are probably better off waiting for another family trip and trying to use each person's 30k miles to book tickets together. Or just use opportunistically from each account for your/spouse's travel.
SPN Lifer and jsloan like this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 2:17 am

Since the miles are currently non-expiring, you can simply accumulate them and use them to finally book something meaningful.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by NJSOO
Since the miles are currently non-expiring, you can simply accumulate them and use them to finally book something meaningful.
By then, the cost will likely have doubled or tripled.
MojaveFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
You are probably better off waiting for another family trip and trying to use each person's 30k miles to book tickets together. Or just use opportunistically from each account for your/spouse's travel.
And sorry to parse drewguy's spot on response.... I am just going to add that when it does come time to book tickets out of each separate account, that they will be just that: separate. While the PNR's can be noted linking other PNR's, its just manual. I give this caveat because it can make for complexity for 5 separate PNR tickets down the road.

The tail of the response is the direction I would go... keep control of the kids miles, book tickets for you and the spouse/SO.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I am just going to add that when it does come time to book tickets out of each separate account, that they will be just that: separate. While the PNR's can be noted linking other PNR's, its just manual. I give this caveat because it can make for complexity for 5 separate PNR tickets down the road.
As a result of that same debacle, we were also given ETCs ($400 to mrs. iapetus and me; $200 to each of the iapetus jrs.). I have been wondering if this sorta thing will happen when I attempt to use their credits on a future family vacation. But I don't think that use of the four ETCs will result in the generation of four PNRs, will it? 🤔
Old Aug 28, 2023, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by iapetus
I don't think that use of the four ETCs will result in the generation of four PNRs, will it?
You can use them all on one PNR.
iapetus likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by iapetus
As a result of that same debacle, we were also given ETCs ($400 to mrs. iapetus and me; $200 to each of the iapetus jrs.). I have been wondering if this sorta thing will happen when I attempt to use their credits on a future family vacation. But I don't think that use of the four ETCs will result in the generation of four PNRs, will it? 🤔
You can merge ETCs together, just contact UA.
iapetus likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.