Using Childrens Miles

Old Aug 27, 2023, 11:54 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Western Kentucky
Programs: AA, UA, Chase, Amex
Posts: 9
Using Childrens Miles

Was provided 30k miles for each of 5 people in family due to debacle June 27, when entire trip to Ireland was canceled. Each member of family had these miles deposited to their United accounts. I am trying to book a business class ticket, however, transferring the difference to their accounts, or their 30k points to my account to book a 61k business class is going to cost over $1,000. Is there any work around to accomplishing this booking without having to shell out a grand? Can I book the flights economy fare, then later use my points to increase teh fare to business? Mind you, they are minors.
sqrblk is offline  
Old Aug 27, 2023, 12:01 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Posts: 52,219
Originally Posted by sqrblk
Is there any work around to accomplishing this booking without having to shell out a grand? Can I book the flights economy fare, then later use my points to increase teh fare to business?
Unfortunately, no.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Aug 27, 2023, 1:58 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Greater Chicagoland Area
Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,458
At least the miles don't expire now, so you can just save them up and eventually you can book something you find worthwhile with the miles.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
rhwbullhead is offline  
Old Aug 27, 2023, 2:35 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Posts: 7,457
Originally Posted by sqrblk
Can I book the flights economy fare, then later use my points to increase teh fare to business? Mind you, they are minors.
United offers Mileage Plus upgrade awards from coach tickets (if purchased), so you could potentially use their miles to upgrade your cash ticket. But it is a waitlist/space available process and no guarantees.

You are probably better off waiting for another family trip and trying to use each person's 30k miles to book tickets together. Or just use opportunistically from each account for your/spouse's travel.
SPN Lifer and jsloan like this.
drewguy is offline  
Old Aug 28, 2023, 2:17 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 2
Since the miles are currently non-expiring, you can simply accumulate them and use them to finally book something meaningful.
NJSOO is offline  
Old Aug 28, 2023, 10:41 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Posts: 52,219
Originally Posted by NJSOO
Since the miles are currently non-expiring, you can simply accumulate them and use them to finally book something meaningful.
By then, the cost will likely have doubled or tripled.
MojaveFlyer likes this.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Aug 28, 2023, 2:59 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: MBS/FNT/LAN
Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Posts: 9,639
Originally Posted by drewguy
You are probably better off waiting for another family trip and trying to use each person's 30k miles to book tickets together. Or just use opportunistically from each account for your/spouse's travel.
And sorry to parse drewguy's spot on response.... I am just going to add that when it does come time to book tickets out of each separate account, that they will be just that: separate. While the PNR's can be noted linking other PNR's, its just manual. I give this caveat because it can make for complexity for 5 separate PNR tickets down the road.

The tail of the response is the direction I would go... keep control of the kids miles, book tickets for you and the spouse/SO.
jhayes_1780 is offline  
Old Aug 28, 2023, 5:43 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pasadena, California
Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Posts: 10,415
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I am just going to add that when it does come time to book tickets out of each separate account, that they will be just that: separate. While the PNR's can be noted linking other PNR's, its just manual. I give this caveat because it can make for complexity for 5 separate PNR tickets down the road.
As a result of that same debacle, we were also given ETCs ($400 to mrs. iapetus and me; $200 to each of the iapetus jrs.). I have been wondering if this sorta thing will happen when I attempt to use their credits on a future family vacation. But I don't think that use of the four ETCs will result in the generation of four PNRs, will it? 🤔
iapetus is offline  
Old Aug 28, 2023, 5:49 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Posts: 52,219
Originally Posted by iapetus
I don't think that use of the four ETCs will result in the generation of four PNRs, will it?
You can use them all on one PNR.
iapetus likes this.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Aug 28, 2023, 8:48 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CLE
Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Posts: 4,684
Originally Posted by iapetus
As a result of that same debacle, we were also given ETCs ($400 to mrs. iapetus and me; $200 to each of the iapetus jrs.). I have been wondering if this sorta thing will happen when I attempt to use their credits on a future family vacation. But I don't think that use of the four ETCs will result in the generation of four PNRs, will it? 🤔
You can merge ETCs together, just contact UA.
iapetus likes this.
ctownflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.