Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Advice needed: EWR to Montpellier (MPL), Mauguio, France

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2023, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

I need to fly EWR-MPL, and a first glance shows no UA or *A flights there. Nearest *A airport is Marseilles (MRS) with a nearly 2-hour train trip. Has anyone had any experience with a UA/*A connection to a non *A flight on a single 016 ticket? I want to maximize the PQP and want to make sure I have no issues checking my bag all the way through. Earlier this year I flew to NCE (before the seasonal UA EWR-NCE flights started up), separately ticketing UA EWR-CDG & AF CDG-NCE, and it was a near disaster. Had a 2-hour delay, then had to rush to collect my bags in CDG and recheck them on AF, making the bag-drop deadline by minutes. It's a really long trip from T1 to T2. I'm okay connecting through another European airport to get to MPL.

I spoke with a 1K phone agent, who said while she could see the AF schedule, she couldn't ticket it. Google Flights shows several UA/AF connections but they're all 2 stops through strange connecting points (EDI, LHR, etc) before connecting at CDG. I'd prefer one stop.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by tarheelnj; Aug 14, 2023 at 8:03 am Reason: spell check
Old Aug 14, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Take the train from MRS-MPL. There truly seems to be no way to fly to MPL on a *A carrier or on a *A Carrier plated ticket. Your previous experience with separate tickets highlights the dangers of that plan. Honestly, if you really wanted to do separate tickets, you would want to have a longer connection than 2 hours, eating into the advantage of flying straight into MPL over MRS plus train.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 8:14 am

Probably less hassle to just take the train direct from Paris.
dcmike, zspitzer, halls120 and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Has anyone had any experience with a UA/*A connection to a non *A flight on a single 016 ticket? I want to maximize the PQP
You won't get PQP for a non-partner segment.

Personally, if flying into MPL (vs. taking the train) was non-negotiable, I'd just book AF all the way. I don't find anything UA offers in terms of elite benes is worth a separate ticket inter-terminal transfer at CDG.
Repooc17 and FabCW like this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for your feedback. I'm fine with European trains, so either nonstop to CDG plus TGV or connection to MRS then train would be fine. EWR-GVA is less expensive than EWR-CDG, and the train from there to MPL isn't that much longer than from CDG (which would still require a terminal change from 1 to 2 to get to the train). Even if I wanted to fly AF all the way, their EWR departure is too late at night for me to make a connection to get into MPL in time for my event.

Good point about the AF segment not accruing PQP anyway - I just figured that it would make checking my luggage through to MPL easier. Any other thoughts welcome.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:12 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Only other thing I can think of would be to do EWR-AMS and then connect to AMS-MPL on KL, but that flight doesn't run every day I don't think.

Agree that Paris-MPL by train is the best/easiest/most reliable way to go.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Only other thing I can think of would be to do EWR-AMS and then connect to AMS-MPL on KL, but that flight doesn't run every day I don't think.

Agree that Paris-MPL by train is the best/easiest/most reliable way to go.
You're right - no nonstop on the day I'm traveling. Based on comments, looking like the train from CDG is best option. No connection hassles and plenty of options if my UA inbound is late.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any suggestions?
Take I-95 to New Haven, then I-91 up to White River Junction.... oh, that Montpelier.

So, UA has a set of fares published for EWR-MPL. However, the last leg has to be on AC/EI/EN/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK. Since none of those carriers flies into MPL at the moment, you end up needing a separate fare on another carrier. That's where you're running into problems -- most carriers have started restricting who can issue their tickets.

Trying to force the first leg on UA means that you end up needing an unrestricted fare (and, apparently, really long layovers). I agree with everyone else; either fly AF entirely, or take the train for the last leg.
Xyzzy, higher_flyer, CJ99 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by jsloan; Aug 14, 2023 at 10:13 am
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Since you have to connect to MRS or TLS anyway, I'd fly nonstop to Paris and take the slightly longer train ride.
tarheelnj, jsloan and Aurelian like this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Totally doable and bookable, but it will be freaking expensive. Book via AMS ... not CDG

Fly to CDG, there is a direct train from CDG to MPL leaving CDG at 8.54 a.m. arriving in Montpellier at 12.57 p.m.

If that is no good, I'd rather fly to TLS and take the train from there ... MRS is not great for trains to MPL
tarheelnj likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
Totally doable and bookable, but it will be freaking expensive. Book via AMS ... not CDG

Fly to CDG, there is a direct train from CDG to MPL leaving CDG at 8.54 a.m. arriving in Montpellier at 12.57 p.m.

If that is no good, I'd rather fly to TLS and take the train from there ... MRS is not great for trains to MPL
The first EWR-CDG arrival is 7:45am, and with the long Immigration wait plus baggage claim, then the loooong shuttle ride from T1 to T2 where the train leaves from....my choices are more likely 9:59am or 11:59am. Appreciate you all helping me through this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
The first EWR-CDG arrival is 7:45am, and with the long Immigration wait plus baggage claim, then the loooong shuttle ride from T1 to T2 where the train leaves from....my choices are more likely 9:59am or 11:59am. Appreciate you all helping me through this.
yeah ... I thought there was an earlier arrival from EWR would take the 9.59, but I like it tight
Old Aug 14, 2023, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I need to fly EWR-MPL, and a first glance shows no UA or *A flights there. Nearest *A airport is Marseilles (MRS) with a nearly 2-hour train trip. Has anyone had any experience with a UA/*A connection to a non *A flight on a single 016 ticket? I want to maximize the PQP and want to make sure I have no issues checking my bag all the way through. Earlier this year I flew to NCE (before the seasonal UA EWR-NCE flights started up), separately ticketing UA EWR-CDG & AF CDG-NCE, and it was a near disaster. Had a 2-hour delay, then had to rush to collect my bags in CDG and recheck them on AF, making the bag-drop deadline by minutes. It's a really long trip from T1 to T2. I'm okay connecting through another European airport to get to MPL.

I spoke with a 1K phone agent, who said while she could see the AF schedule, she couldn't ticket it. Google Flights shows several UA/AF connections but they're all 2 stops through strange connecting points (EDI, LHR, etc) before connecting at CDG. I'd prefer one stop.

Any suggestions?
AF on both segments would be much easier, no?
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Alitalia MilleMiglia, Hyatt, Le Meridien
Barcelona, Beziers, Perpignan Flight Alternatives

The simplest way to fly from North America to MPL is one ticket on AF. The connection will be tight, and you might miss your connection. In that case AF will book you on the next flight but your luggage could somehow make the first flight, and be waiting at baggage when you land in MPL (people get stuck in baggage claim, customs, and security). You have to go through security screening again at CDG to connect on the same airline. The terminals are far apart and transfers require a lot of walking.

If you have leisurely time, AF will book the connecting flight for the next day (within 24 hours) so you can go into Paris and stay the night. Expect to have only carry-on bags with you.

AF also flies to MPL from Orly and might offer to re-book you out of Orly if CDG flights are cancelled or delayed. It's a one-hour AF bus ride between airports.

Even factoring in all that has happened over the past decades with the challenges flying AF, I would never have attempted connecting between different airlines at CDG. Virtually impossible.

Barcelona is a shorter train connection than Paris. Take the subway from BCN to the central subway station and transfer to the train. It takes 3 hours to Montpellier.

My destination in the western suburbs of Montpellier (beach area) is one hour's drive from MPL. Depending on where you are going, two other airports could be convenient. For me, Beziers is 15 minutes drive and Perpignan is 45 minutes drive.

Aer Lingus flies to Perpignan. Connect in Dublin. Aer Lingus business class with the "throne seat" is fine and reasonably priced On the return flight you'll pre-clear US customs in Ireland.

RyanAir and EasyJet fly to Beziers from Gatwick, Stanstead, and Luton (and sometimes fly to MPL seasonally). The advantages of routing through London could be that fares are lower, to avoid the CDG transfer, and to land at a more convenient airport in the Mediterranean. Plan to spend the night in London if you arrive at LHR; maybe not at Gatwick.

La Compagnie has the nonstop from New York to Nice. From Nice it is 4-hours to Montpellier. Train schedules are much more frequent between Nice and Montpellier than between Paris and Montpellier, and the train is less expensive because coastal routes are priced as regional service.

KLM flies to MPL but because I speak French and not Dutch, I don't want to transfer in AMS.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gameshow
KLM flies to MPL but because I speak French and not Dutch, I don't want to transfer in AMS.
There are many reasons to avoid transferring in AMS, but English will serve you quite well there -- and I suspect French might work in a pinch. The Dutch are generally aware that most people don't speak Dutch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.