Wiki Posts
Search

UA 144 (EWR-OPO) always late?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2023, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental OnePass
UA 144 (EWR-OPO) always late?

I'm taking UA 144 EWR-OPO at the end of the week, so I have been following its performance for the past few weeks. More often that not it seems to be delayed leaving EWR, in many cases by several hours. For example, last night it left at 12:19am (scheduled for 9:50pm), Sunday night it left at 11:49pm.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 5:27 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Have you looked to see the arrival time of the assigned plane?
Old Aug 8, 2023, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental OnePass
Last night it got to EWR at 7:41pm
Old Aug 8, 2023, 6:01 am

I've seen the same with EWR to LIS (UA 64) as well. Doesn't matter when the incoming aircraft arrives, it typically leaves late.

Granted, the weather hasn't helped as of late.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by swiftaw
Last night it got to EWR at 7:41pm
The turn around for planes on international flights at their US airports is usually over 3 hours. It was unlikely to make a 2150 departure with a 1941 arrival.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
The turn around for planes on international flights at their US airports is usually over 3 hours. It was unlikely to make a 2150 departure with a 1941 arrival.
Except the inbound was a precleared aircraft from Dublin, and that flight was also late by 3 hours.

It also doesn't take 3 hours to turn a plane from B, even accounting for deplaning and other logistics.

United has done a poor job operating its flights timely. Sure, some times it's uncontrollable, but even with no uncontrollable events, we have seen mass delays and cancellations.

Last edited by Repooc17; Aug 8, 2023 at 6:49 am
Old Aug 8, 2023, 7:14 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
EWR has been an unmitigated disaster this summer. Full stop.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 7:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
These late night flights are commonly late. I'm flying 161 to EDI next week, its literally UA's last flight of the night, and it has left on time maybe twice in the last three weeks. I'm in for a long night (and the lounge closes at 22:30)!
Old Aug 8, 2023, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least you should know what to expect.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Add in that 8900 flights nationwide (1/3 of the total daily flights in the US) delayed yesterday...
Old Aug 8, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
EWR is a crowded, poorly run airport with a badly laid out terminal C. Many employees and crew based there have bad attitudes. Avoid if you can, tolerate it if you can't.

Edit: on the plus side, the newer UC at C123 is pretty nice, I hear the new terminal A is nice.
ebayj likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 10:32 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
OPO is a leisure destination with few connecting passengers, the turn around time in OPO is also pretty long such that the return flight still operated on time despite the 2+ hour delay. I would imagine UA would prioritize flights with many connections or to high yield destinations or larger plane with more passengers when there are gate or staff constraints.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by m.y
OPO is a leisure destination with few connecting passengers, the turn around time in OPO is also pretty long such that the return flight still operated on time despite the 2+ hour delay. I would imagine UA would prioritize flights with many connections or to high yield destinations when there are gate or staff constraints.
That would be true if OPO is the only victim in the United OTP saga which has been going on for months now.

Sadly, EWR can expand as much as they want, there are still effectively only two runways (one for departure and one for arrival). Plenty of airports with less traffic have more than two runways, where you can have concurrent departures and arrivals.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:38 am

I was on UA144 last Wednesday and.... IT WAS ON TIME. Even landed early. 😮 😮 😮 😮

No idea why this flight is always late... get's cancelled pretty often as well. And incoming aircraft doesn't seem to matter either.

The Lisbon flight is a little better but not by much.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
‘Always’ is a little exaggerated (though not completely) - per Flightstats - it was on time 28% of the time over June/July. So always, no.

Has to do with a combo of things. Poor ops out of EWR aren’t out of the norm on any given year, but particularly bad this year. There is some part of that that isn’t UAs fault - there has been some weather and there is always airspace issue in the NYC-area. But this year, other factors are definitely present - stress on the current fleet, staffing (both within and outside of UA), excessive fleet utilization beyond what should be acceptable. These flights also wouldn’t take as much priority as more ‘important’ flights - if they have the staffing and can only ensure, say, the LHR or OPO flights get out on time, guess which one takes priority.

Its 2023, and we’re passed the COVID peak, yes, but the resurgence in demand, without the resurgence in infrastructure is problematic. I suspect this will match will improve over the next 2-3 years, and bring ops more in line with historical trends. But for now, this is what we get.

On another note, I’ve always tended to avoid EWR - not a good airport, a whiff of wind will send ATC delays skyrocketing more than anywhere, etc., so my personal guideline is to give a minimum of 2-2.5 hours of connection time to compensate (at ORD, I’m happy to book an hour or even slightly less). I guess I can be happy that now I’m on the west coast, and while the same issues aren’t completely non-existent, seems to be way better than on the eastern side of the country.
ZenFlyer and CJ99 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.