Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Spouses with different United status, does it matter who purchases tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2023, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

I need to book business class tickets via United (combo. of Brussels Air and United flights out of Kigali) and I am wondering if it matters whether my husband purchases the tickets through his account or if I purchase through mine. We will be traveling together. I want to pay for the tickets with my company card as this is a business-related flight, but I'm wondering if it matters that I am just Silver while my husband is 1k? Would we still be able to take advantage of his 1k status during travel if he didn't directly pay? Probably a dumb question, but want to make sure if I book the tickets that his 1k status will still be registered for the booking to get the benefits while traveling.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mercedeslt
I need to book business class tickets via United (combo. of Brussels Air and United flights out of Kigali) and I am wondering if it matters whether my husband purchases the tickets through his account or if I purchase through mine. We will be traveling together. I want to pay for the tickets with my company card as this is a business-related flight, but I'm wondering if it matters that I am just Silver while my husband is 1k? Would we still be able to take advantage of his 1k status during travel if he didn't directly pay? Probably a dumb question, but want to make sure if I book the tickets that his 1k status will still be registered for the booking to get the benefits while traveling.
Doesn't make a bit of difference. He'll be seen as a 1K no matter who buys the tickets.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
...and furthermore, you'll both be able to use priority check-in and get pre-boarding if you travel together, based on his status.
SPN Lifer and jsloan like this.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Maybe a question I shouldn't ask

Don't suppose your husband is a 1MM flyer (or greater)? He could gift you 1k status.

Just a thought in case you were unaware.

Lurker
Old Aug 1, 2023, 1:32 am

Bought domestic UA tickets for the whole family last year as StarAlliance Gold (LH SEN). Everyone else without relevant status for UA.
The whole group got free baggage, Premier Access and boarding group 1. But I couldn't tell if this would have been the same when anyone else in the family would have paid for the ticket.
When it came to lounge access in LAX only myself plus one guest were permitted.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Be sure and book you and your spouse on same reservation so that his 1K benefits apply to you.
jpezaris likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by LinBros
Be sure and book you and your spouse on same reservation so that his 1K benefits apply to you.
That advice is the most important of all -- if you book as separate purchases, then there are two individual tickets, and his benefits will not accrue to you. You need to make one purchase for the both of you together, on the same itinerary, so there is one PNR (Passenger Name Record), and therefore one Record Locator (sometimes called a confirmation number). Doing so, the two tickets will appear as linked together and 1K benefits will be shared with all travellers on the PNR (up to 8, if memory serves). There is no other way to link tickets together, and it can only be done at time of purchase.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Lurker
Don't suppose your husband is a 1MM flyer (or greater)? He could gift you 1k status.

Just a thought in case you were unaware.

Lurker
This benefit is the only reason my wife stays with me!
Old Aug 2, 2023, 10:50 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Lurker
He'd have to have 3MM status to gift a 1K Companion benefit:

But, at 1MM he could at least boost her to Lifetime Gold.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
^ No, at 1mm miles you can designate a companion who will get your status, whatever it is that year. It will be at least Gold because you get that at 1mm. But this 1K
spouse could designate wife as companion and she would get his 1K status.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by drewguy
^ No, at 1mm miles you can designate a companion who will get your status, whatever it is that year. It will be at least Gold because you get that at 1mm. But this 1K
This is good info, thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2023, 3:22 pm
formerly 1984SW

Originally Posted by drewguy
I'll take your word for that, but what on earth is that chart I posted from united.com used for?
Old Aug 4, 2023, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wpcoe
I'll take your word for that, but what on earth is that chart I posted from united.com used for?
That's the minimum status for the fliers who actually achieve those various MM hurdles, but one's current "matchable" status could be higher (except for 4MM/GS).

I am a 1MMer. If I didn't earn any status via last year's flying, I'd be a Gold via 1MM benefit. I could name a companion to be Gold with me.

However, I flew enough to earn 1K last year, so I'll take that 1K status this year, not the minimum 1MMer Gold status. I get to share my current (1K) status with a nominated companion as a MM benefit.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 4, 2023 at 4:01 pm
Old Aug 4, 2023, 4:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wpcoe
There other are correct, the chart is what it take to qualify for lifetime status and all litetime status (MMers) are egilble to designate a companion
More in Million Miler companion benefit

The key point is the companion status is the same as the MMer status (not their lifetime status)

I am a 1MMer. Gold Lifetime Status but earned Platinum status. My companion is also Premier Platinum elite
Old Aug 5, 2023, 7:10 pm
formerly 1984SW

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
That's the minimum status for the fliers who actually achieve those various MM hurdles, but one's current "matchable" status could be higher (except for 4MM/GS).

I am a 1MMer. If I didn't earn any status via last year's flying, I'd be a Gold via 1MM benefit. I could name a companion to be Gold with me.

However, I flew enough to earn 1K last year, so I'll take that 1K status this year, not the minimum 1MMer Gold status. I get to share my current (1K) status with a nominated companion as a MM benefit.
Aha. Thanks. Now I get it. I sure didn't get it from that page, though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.