Wiki Posts
Search

Azul (AD) award experiences

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF Gold, UA 1K
Azul (AD) award experiences

I booked a flight for my Brazilian partner to come to the US, on an Azul flight to GRU, then UA to IAH and DCA. Paid 30K miles + tax. Strangely enough, the Azul flight is booked into Z class instead of X or R. At the airport, the Azul agent told him she could not see any of his itinerary beyond his Azul flight that was *paid* for by UA. Thus, he was able to earn Azul points on a UA award ticket! Has anyone else experienced this/know what's going on?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by coinboy66
I booked a flight for my Brazilian partner to come to the US, on an Azul flight to GRU, then UA to IAH and DCA. Paid 30K miles + tax. Strangely enough, the Azul flight is booked into Z class instead of X or R. At the airport, the Azul agent told him she could not see any of his itinerary beyond his Azul flight that was *paid* for by UA. Thus, he was able to earn Azul points on a UA award ticket! Has anyone else experienced this/know what's going on?
Dont know specifically about this, but I once had a BA First Class redemption from the US to India using Avios points. They needed to rebook me due to schedule change and rebooked me into a revenue booking class in First. Had them add in my AA Advantage number and sure enough, they all credited as a paid First Class ticket.

So it does happen. Just, don’t make a fuss and see what happens.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
NH domestic awards also book into revenue classes. Sometimes they credit as Y, sometimes they don't. They system itself strips your frequent flyer number out, but depending on how the agent adds it back (for *G recognition), you might get credit.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Years ago I redeemed an intra-Europe award that involved a double connection: TK to OS to SK. The TK segment booked into revenue (full Y) and earned miles on UA. The OS and SK segments on that same ticket booked into award class.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF Gold, UA 1K
It just seems so strange because this would be a painfully easy thing for UA to prevent. They just need to maintain a list of miles/points redemption fare buckets for that carrier and make sure their booking engine has access to them. Especially easy for the star carriers (or should be), but even Azul would surely work with UA on this if requested.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Years ago I redeemed an intra-Europe award that involved a double connection: TK to OS to SK. The TK segment booked into revenue (full Y) and earned miles on UA. The OS and SK segments on that same ticket booked into award class.
That won't work now (that is, if you redeemed UA miles for that ticket). UA's system has a record of that ticket being an award ticket, and any changes down the line affecting the fare bucket won't result in any credit on UA. This happened to me. I was flying on a UA award ticket with the final segment being a TATL on Lufthansa. I was able to buy an upgrade to Premium Economy at the gate, and my ticket was "resissued" to E (but retained the original UA ticket number). If I had thought of it at the time, I probably could have switched my FF# to M&M and gotten some sort of credit for that segment.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:35 am

I have a question on United Award Flight Schedule Change on Partner Flight.So I booked an award flight from NA to South America for the summer and just got an email from United saying that my flight schedule changed and looking at it, it changed my middle portion of the flight from Sao Paulo (GRU) to Buenos Aires (EZE) by more than 10 hours and not I am arriving at 2 AM. Since this won't work I want to call and try to get the flight changed, but the problem is that this award is on Azul airlines and I am not sure what United will do about a schedule change on a partner airline. Another problem is that there doesn't seem to be many options for me since there are no other flights from GRU to EZE that day (only previous day). I am willing to fly from Sao Paulo to Montevideo instead, but I am not sure if they will even let me do that as that is change in destination. I can go onto their website and click modify reservation to change that flight from Sao Paulo to Montevideo instead, but it will charge me $75 for the change fee, is there anyway to get United to waive that fee because of the schedule change?

On a related note my flight from NA to South America also changed, but only by 15 minutes or so. I was wondering if I can some have them move me to a united Polaris flight since I am currently placed in an uncomfortable COPA airlines business, but the Polaris flight doesn't have any saver awards available only standard.

Any suggestions are appreciated before I make a call to United this afternoon. Thanks
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhangilp
I have a question on United Award Flight Schedule Change on Partner Flight.So I booked an award flight from NA to South America for the summer and just got an email from United saying that my flight schedule changed and looking at it, it changed my middle portion of the flight from Sao Paulo (GRU) to Buenos Aires (EZE) by more than 10 hours and not I am arriving at 2 AM. Since this won't work I want to call and try to get the flight changed, but the problem is that this award is on Azul airlines and I am not sure what United will do about a schedule change on a partner airline.
They will open space on a UA flight, if that helps. So, if you can fly UA metal to EZE, that's an option.

I am willing to fly from Sao Paulo to Montevideo instead, but I am not sure if they will even let me do that as that is change in destination. I can go onto their website and click modify reservation to change that flight from Sao Paulo to Montevideo instead, but it will charge me $75 for the change fee, is there anyway to get United to waive that fee because of the schedule change?
If that's a better outcome for you, ask for it. That should be no problem.

On a related note my flight from NA to South America also changed, but only by 15 minutes or so. I was wondering if I can some have them move me to a united Polaris flight since I am currently placed in an uncomfortable COPA airlines business, but the Polaris flight doesn't have any saver awards available only standard.
You can ask, but a 15-minute change is below their schedule change threshold (30 minutes), so they may say no.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I have a question on United Award Flight Schedule Change on Partner Flight.So I booked an award flight from NA to South America for the summer and just got an email from United saying that my flight schedule changed and looking at it, it changed my middle portion of the flight from Sao Paulo (GRU) to Buenos Aires (EZE) by more than 10 hours and not I am arriving at 2 AM. Since this won't work I want to call and try to get the flight changed, but the problem is that this award is on Azul airlines and I am not sure what United will do about a schedule change on a partner airline. Another problem is that there doesn't seem to be many options for me since there are no other flights from GRU to EZE that day (only previous day). I am willing to fly from Sao Paulo to Montevideo instead, but I am not sure if they will even let me do that as that is change in destination. I can go onto their website and click modify reservation to change that flight from Sao Paulo to Montevideo instead, but it will charge me $75 for the change fee, is there anyway to get United to waive that fee because of the schedule change? ...
UA has limited options for award partner schedule changes. If there is another partner award flight available, you will be able to change for free and that should include a change of airports / destinations.

If there is no partner award options, UA is generally unable to get partners to create space.

If there is a UA operated solution, UA will open award space in the booked cabin on their operated flights (assuming there is space), Again for no fee or mileage change.

If neither works, UA will refund the ticket for no fee.
On a related note my flight from NA to South America also changed, but only by 15 minutes or so. I was wondering if I can some have them move me to a united Polaris flight since I am currently placed in an uncomfortable COPA airlines business, but the Polaris flight doesn't have any saver awards available only standard. ....
You can try and there is a small chance given your other issues it might happen, but 15 minutes is generally under the threshold for this sort of change.Theoretically, it is an option for more than 30 minutes
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA has limited options for award partner schedule changes. If there is another partner award flight available, you will be able to change for free and that should include a change of airports / destinations.

If there is no partner award options, UA is generally unable to get partners to create space.

If there is a UA operated solution, UA will open award space in the booked cabin on their operated flights (assuming there is space), Again for no fee or mileage change.

If neither works, UA will refund the ticket for no fee.
You can try and there is a small chance given your other issues it might happen, but 15 minutes is generally under the threshold for this sort of change.Theoretically, it is an option for more than 30 minutes
This is very helpful, thank! I will try to get them to change me to a different partner flight from Sao Paulo to Montevideo instead.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:43 pm

Programs: Marriott BonvAnnoyed
I am trying to add the following to my already ticketed award (EWR-BOG), a one way flight and I am doing it within 24 hour cancellation window.

Excursionist perk( IGU-EZE) same region and it is coming out at 0 miles and taxes

last leg: taking a return flight from IST/LIS- NYC later this year for another trip.

Eveyrthing is calculating fine except when I go to last page for payment, the website bombed.

should I call and see if there is an availability issue OR would I be making life difficult for an agent?

ETA: I was able to get it ticketed online.

Last edited by ali7204; Feb 13, 2020 at 8:18 am
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ali7204
should I call and see if there is an availability issue OR would I be making life difficult for an agent?
I would call. While that itinerary is unusual, it doesn't seem abusive, so I don't suspect the agent will be intentionally unhelpful.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
It's not a change to the computer, just a change to what agents are willing to do (and possibly which system they see first).
Right. UA's systems are absolutely able to do it. Some agents are better than others and/or have access to better tools.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Right. UA's systems are absolutely able to do it. Some agents are better than others and/or have access to better tools.
That's absolutely true. In my case, I just had wonderful agent who went above and beyond to grab the seats which are not visible on UA.com and she didn't even charge the $25 telephone booking fees. It was for 5 J pax from South American to USA so I was fully expecting to hear the united phantom award space issue and indeed she mentioned it first but then after holding and continually working for more than 30 minutes, she was able to grab 5 J seats.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
One can make changes online after booking a flight?

How did you manage to get it ticketed online? One of my choices had the same issue and after two tries I went with another option.
After a 3rd or 4th try, I still got an error but it was a different error. Something like "please call united to confirm the changes" so I called and agent looked at it and everything is fine on united end.
I can look up the reservations details on Azul website for my EP leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.