Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy class passenger on round the world flight could not face another flight!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy class passenger on round the world flight could not face another flight!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2023, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA

My United Airlines Flight from Singapore to San Francisco was just plain hell. I was stuck in the middle seat next to two crying babies for almost 16 hours. I could not sleep and by the time I arrived in SFO, I was close to a nervous breakdown.

My next flight on to ORD (Chicago) was scheduled to leave in a few hours. I just could not imagine getting on another airline so soon after the trauma of my last 16-hour flight. I was just physically and emotionally exhausted!

Give me 12 hours of sleep at an airport hotel and I could make the final part of the trip.

I went to the customer service counter at SFO Customer Service and plead my case. It was rejected out of hand. If I did not get on the flight my ticket would be canceled and I would have to purchase a full fare last-minute fare for a flight the next day. (About $500) So I somehow continued my journey. I thought I was having a nervous breakdown on the SFO to ORD flight with more crying babies in the middle seat. It took me weeks to recover.

Yes, I know it was my fault for getting such a cheap flight that gave me no flexibility to make a change. I also should have broken up the flight so I could have forced a legal stopover in San Francisco instead of trying to make it all the way from Singapore to Chicago in one trip. But the damage was done. I am just looking for advice on what I should have done with that current situation.

Should I have pushed it harder to find an alternative? What are my options? I have no status and was flying on the lowest-level level economy ticket.
Repooc17 likes this.

Last edited by Narrow Seat; Jul 28, 2023 at 3:00 am
Old Jul 27, 2023, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Narrow Seat
My United Airlines Flight from Singapore to San Francisco was just plain hell. I was stuck in the middle seat next to two crying babies for almost 16 hours. I could not sleep and by the time I arrived in SFO, I was close to a nervous breakdown.

My next flight on to ORD (Chicago) was scheduled to leave in a few hours. I just could not imagine getting on another airline so soon after the trauma of my last 16-hour flight. I was just physically and emotionally exhausted!

Give me 12 hours of sleep at an airport hotel and I could make the final part of the trip.

I went to the customer service counter at SFO Customer Service and plead my case. It was rejected out of hand. If I did not get on the flight my ticket would be canceled and I would have to purchase a full fare last-minute fare for a flight the next day. (About $500) So I somehow continued my journey. I thought I was having a nervous breakdown on the SFO to ORD flight with more crying babies in the middle seat. It took me weeks to recover.

Should I have pushed it harder to find an alternative? What are my options? I have no status and was flying on the lowest level level economy ticket.
Well, if you'd actually had a nervous breakdown or panic attack (i.e. a medical emergency), they might've accommodated you. Just think of the poor mothers with the crying babies, they had to be suffering worse than you. Flying is extremely unpleasant these days, and the cascading delays and MX problems just make it worse.

Good luck, and better travels, my friend!
pseudoswede, uanj, slowly and 8 others like this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
…What are my options? I have no status and was flying on the lowest level level economy ticket.
It's unfortunate, but that’s the deal you make in return for a cheap ticket price. United says, “OK, we’re going to sell you this ticket for far less than than what a refundable, changeable ticket costs, but you’re going to agree to these restrictions”. And then you said, “OK”.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 27, 2023 at 12:00 pm Reason: speling, word change
Old Jul 27, 2023, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
What are my options? I have no status and was flying on the lowest level level economy ticket.
I'm not quite sure what to say. If the flight is near full, someone has to get the least desirable seats, and that's probably going to be the person with no status and the lowest-fare ticket. For future reference, in most cases, you can get a better seat in advance by paying for it. It doesn't cost that much if it's just a more desirable seat in the same cabin, as opposed to an actual upgrade. Consider the cost of that vs what can happen if you don't pay up and end up in a middle seat.

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Well, if you'd actually had a nervous breakdown or panic attack (i.e. a medical emergency), they might've accommodated you.
I'm not so sure. I once showed up at the airport on a United transpac flight medically unfit to fly, and all they would do is offer to process a change in flight per the rules of my fare. So, basically they did nothing. They were extremely polite and sympathetic, but stated that there had been a crackdown recently and United's rules provided no leeway for passenger-originated problems. Only if there was a flight irregularity that they could document would they be able to do things like put me on an alternate flight standby.
trooper and zombietooth like this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA
Excellent replies so far. I can see the airline's perspective on this issue and can see that many people would exploit the situation if they give an inch.

A similar situation happened to me on United Airlines but this time I had food poisoning and was running to and from the toilet from my window seat on a full flight. The people who were sitting in my row were really angry when I got up and down countless times but the person in the aisle seat would not switch seats with me. Shortly before the start of my connecting flight at the SFO Airport, my health got worse and I begged United Airlines Customer Service to let me stay in my connecting city for a few days to recover. They rejected it out of hand and told me I had to take the flight. I took the flight but I threw up a number of times while in my seat.

If they would have allowed me to wait out my illness at a hotel in my connecting city it would have saved my seatmates and flight attendants lots of trouble.

Airline rules made it a terrible situation for everyone.

Last edited by Narrow Seat; Jul 28, 2023 at 2:50 am
Old Jul 27, 2023, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Sadly, "I'm really tired and sick of flying in the cheapest middle seat" is not much of a basis for unusual accommodation or leniency when a customer has freely booked the cheapest middle seat.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:02 am

I have dealt with the crying baby issue across my life, from pre-kids, to my own babies, and to kids who are now teens/adults. This can happen in any cabin on any flight, and one cannot expect otherwise. Especially for longer flights, you have to be prepared for it with earplugs or noise-canceling headphones.
CJ99, uanj, marks88 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Essential survival kit:
earplugs + overear headphones + low dose aspirin + ambien or benadryl + tablet with a season or two of preferred TV shows
johnndor, uanj, marks88 and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by azepine00
Essential survival kit:
earplugs + overear headphones + low dose aspirin + ambien or benadryl + tablet with a season or two of preferred TV shows
And a seat cushion to make the atrociously uncomfortable Y seat bearable.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:59 am

as i've gotten older i've started including cost of comfortable travel (that is variable per person) into the overall cost of a trip. For example, if i want to fly business to europe i will budget for a business class trip because i know i will be miserable if i fly economy. Now you dont have to budget for business but i would at least budget to be able to select a comfortable economy seat on a 15 hr flight. Include that cost as the overall cost of the trip
Old Jul 27, 2023, 11:12 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

What are my options?
Sounds like you got what you paid for.

$450-$500 is about the walk up fare for SFO-ORD. I would have asked what the cost difference would be to change the flight. If it was ultimately still $500 - perhaps just paying that - getting the 12 hours of sleep at the airport hotel - might have been a better alternative than taking weeks to recover.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
At least twice you've seen that UA won't give you something that you didn't buy. It's time that you adjust your approach.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
It never does any harm to ask politely and in those days of waivers, disruption and overbooked flights you might get lucky but alas this time not.

Sorry the journey was so grim but hopefully the destination makes up for it. I just did Tokyo the wrong way round in Y after disruption with last minute, terrible seats but I was glad at least to get there.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 3:13 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)

Should I have pushed it harder to find an alternative? What are my options? I have no status and was flying on the lowest level level economy ticket.
ND?
Old Jul 27, 2023, 3:51 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by azepine00
Essential survival kit:
Be careful with Benadryl. It is a dopamine blocker and can cause restless leg syndrome. I've used the diphenhydramine method of sleeping on flights, but every so often, it makes this condition worse than inability to sleep.
watson10 and aquanine like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.