Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Possible to upgrade ET flight on 016 ticket with UA currency?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC

Have a trip to southern Africa (not South Africa) coming up that a clients TA is booking for me.

The best itinerary they're suggesting for the outbound includes an ET operated 777-300 (with a UA code) from IAD-ADD... The "UA metal across the ocean" option means leaving a day earlier and adds an extra stop.

I think plus points are not a thing for an ET operated flight regardless of code, correct? Are there any other ways before I sacrifice an extra day of travel for insanity?
Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I think plus points are not a thing for an ET operated flight regardless of code, correct?
No PlusPoints on ET-operated flights. If the fare class is high enough, you could use a Star Alliance Upgrade Award, although they can't be waitlisted so you have to keep trying if the upgrade does't go through immediately. https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...de-awards.html

Looks like Y, B, G, and S fares qualify on ET.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... The best itinerary they're suggesting for the outbound includes an ET operated 777-300 (with a UA code) from IAD-ADD... ...
Codeshare are a no go. Try to get that changed pre- or post ticketing.

Bidding option - Bid to Upgrade (ethiopianairlines.com)
but not on 016 / UA ticket stock
You may only submit one Offer per flight which corresponds to the purchased ticket issued on Ethiopian Airlines document number 071,
Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Codeshare are a no go. Try to get that changed pre- or post ticketing.
Official policy is to convert only for PlusPoint requests on LH/NH, not SAUA’s. YMMV, but OP should try to have it resolved pre-ticketing, but that may create problems of its own whether the native ET flight can be plated on 016.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
No PlusPoints on ET-operated flights. If the fare class is high enough, you could use a Star Alliance Upgrade Award, although they can't be waitlisted so you have to keep trying if the upgrade does't go through immediately. https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...de-awards.html

Looks like Y, B, G, and S fares qualify on ET.
Thanks [MENTION=8598]jsloan[/MENTION]! Any idea what that cost is (even roughly)? Riding UA across the ocean seems like it may be the safer (for upgrade odds) route
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:13 pm

Thanks [MENTION=8598]jsloan[/MENTION]! Any idea what that cost is (even roughly)? Riding UA across the ocean seems like it may be the safer (for upgrade odds) route
35k Y to J
50k J to C

https://www.united.com/en/us/upgrade-awards
jsloan, lincolnjkc and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's really difficult to give even a ballpark price, especially considering that you're looking at codeshares, which will put a huge monkey wrench into figuring out fare applicability, but I checked CLE-WDH and got ET fares between $2K and $3K.

(And if you meant the number of miles, yeah, what Lux Flyer said, except I think J to C is supposed to be J to F -- and I don't think ET has an F cabin anyway).
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's really difficult to give even a ballpark price, especially considering that you're looking at codeshares, which will put a huge monkey wrench into figuring out fare applicability, but I checked CLE-WDH and got ET fares between $2K and $3K.

(And if you meant the number of miles, yeah, what Lux Flyer said, except I think J to C is supposed to be J to F -- and I don't think ET has an F cabin anyway).
Perfect, thank you both. Mileage for the UG was what I was curious about.

Indeed having a travel agent/coordinator in the mix complicates things more than I'd like be thems the rules I have to play by for this trip...
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
But only if coded as an ET flight. Not possible if UA codeshare
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.