Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Adds SFO-MNL, More Transpac Service From LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2023, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EWR764
United Announces Another Pacific Expansion for Fall 2023 Capitalizing on Unique International Strength
July 18, 2023
United to become first U.S. Airline to fly direct to Manila from the continental U.S.; adds more nonstops to Tokyo, Hong Kong and Taipei

Airline will serve a total of 15 different long-haul international destinations across the Pacific this winter, more than all other U.S. airlines combined

CHICAGO, July 18, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Already the largest U.S. carrier across both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, United today adds even more flights to the Asia-Pacific region, becoming the first U.S. airline to fly direct to Manila from the continental U.S. and adding more non-stops to Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Taipei. These new flights will start in October.

In total, the airline will fly long-haul flights to 15 different international destinations across the Pacific this winter. Excluding mainland China flying, United's transpacific network will be 50% larger than all other U.S. airlines combined.

This expansion builds on the continued growth of United's international network. Earlier this year, the airline made the largest South Pacific network expansion in aviation history – adding 40% more flights between the U.S. and Australia/New Zealand. And this summer United is flying its largest-ever schedule across the Atlantic, 32% larger than the airline's 2019 schedule and 10% larger than the next largest U.S. carrier.

"United offers more flights to more destinations across the Pacific than all other U.S. airlines combined," said Patrick Quayle, senior vice president of global network planning and alliances. "United is the flag carrier of the U.S. and we are excited to bring this new service to Manila while expanding access to Hong Kong, Taipei and Tokyo."

Beginning October 29, United will fly between San Francisco and Manila. The airline is already the only U.S. carrier to serve Manila from Guam and Palau, and will soon be the only to offer non-stop service to the Philippines from the continental U.S. Additionally, starting October 28, United will launch new service between Los Angeles and Hong Kong, building on its existing services from San Francisco.

In Tokyo, United will resume non-stop flights between Los Angeles and Tokyo/Narita, adding to its existing service between Los Angeles and Tokyo-Haneda. The airline will also increase flying to Taipei with a second daily year-round service from San Francisco, providing customers new time options to fly between the two cities.

Tickets are now available for sale on United.com and the United app.

San Francisco – Manila, Philippines*

Starting October 29, United will be the only U.S. airline with non-stop transpacific flights to the Philippines, with the launch of its service between San Francisco and Manila. Adding to the carrier's existing service to Manila from Guam and Palau, the new flight will operate daily on a Boeing 777-300ER, the airline's largest airplane.

Los Angeles – Hong Kong*

United is the only U.S. airline to fly non-stop to Hong Kong, and starting October 28, the carrier will increase its service with a new, direct daily flight from Los Angeles. The flight will operate daily on a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner. In total this winter, United will have three daily flights to Hong Kong from Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Los Angeles – Tokyo/Narita

On October 28, United will resume daily, direct service between Los Angeles and Tokyo/Narita on a Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner. With its existing service between Los Angeles and Tokyo/Haneda, United will now connect Los Angeles to both of Tokyo's international airports.

Increased Flying to Taipei*

In addition to adding new routes to its schedule, United will also increase its flying to Taipei, beginning October 29. United is already the only U.S. airline to fly non-stop from the U.S. to Taipei with its daily service from San Francisco and will now serve the destination twice daily. The new flight will operate on a Boeing 777-200ER aircraft.

Australia & New Zealand Expansion

Earlier this year, United announced the largest South Pacific network expansion ever to and from the continental U.S. This upcoming northern winter, United will operate 66 flights between the U.S. and Australia/New Zealand every week. Highlights include:
  • Becoming the only airline to offer non-stop service to Christchurch, New Zealand with new service from San Francisco*
  • Building on its position as the largest U.S. airline to Auckland by adding four weekly flights from Los Angeles*
  • Serving as the largest carrier between the U.S. and Brisbane with a new route from Los Angeles*
  • Offering daily flights between San Francisco and Brisbane and Melbourne and twice daily flights between San Francisco and Sydney
*flights subject to government approval
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2023, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist

More expansion from United!
  • Starting October 29, 2023, United Airlines will add new daily service from San Francisco (SFO) to Manila utilizing a Boeing 777-300ER jet.
  • Starting on October 28, 2023, United will offer daily service between LAX and HKG using a Boeing 787-9 jet.
  • United Airlines is bringing back its nonstop service from Los Angeles to Tokyo Narita (NRT) to augment its service to Tokyo Haneda (HND). Both flights will operate daily.
  • United will double service to Taipei (TPE) from its San Francisco hub, going double daily starting on October 29, 2013.

(disclaimer - link to my blog. Will post the UA press release as soon as it is posted online)

ETA: Here is United press release:

https://www.united.com/en/aw/newsroo.../cision-125277

I'm excited to see the new MNL route!
Old Jul 18, 2023, 6:14 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
This is interesting. I don't think there's currently any service by a US carrier to Manila, is there? That seems like a gaping hole, given the size of the country and its economy, the population ties, etc. And I think it was starting to see a bit of a tourist moment before covid too.

And on a personal note, it's great to see more service to Taiwan, which is one of my favorite countries! Although since I'm NYC-based, I doubt I'll fly this route anytime soon
Old Jul 18, 2023, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Interesting
Old Jul 18, 2023, 6:21 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
This is interesting. I don't think there's currently any service by a US carrier to Manila, is there?
Well, to be a bit pendantic, UA is a US carrier, and UA has served MNL from GUM and ROR for years.

However, this SFOMNL will be the first nonstop service from the continental US to MNL on a US carrier.
dw, jsloan, SPN Lifer and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
More expansion from United!
  • Starting October 29, 2023, United Airlines will add new daily service from San Francisco (SFO) to Manila utilizing a Boeing 777-300ER jet.
  • Starting on October 28, 2023, United will offer daily service between LAX and HKG using a Boeing 787-9 jet.
  • United Airlines is bringing back its nonstop service from Los Angeles to Tokyo Narita (NRT) to augment its service to Tokyo Haneda (HND). Both flights will operate daily.
  • United will double service to Taipei (TPE) from its San Francisco hub, going double daily starting on October 29, 2013.

(disclaimer - link to my blog. Will post the UA press release as soon as it is posted online)

ETA: Here is United press release:

https://www.united.com/en/aw/newsroo.../cision-125277

I'm excited to see the new MNL route!
Is today April Fools’ Day?

LAX-HKG, and SFO-MNL on a 77W?!

How many times has UA tried, and failed, to make LAX-HKG work? And I am absolutely floored by the MNL service, particularly on such a premium-heavy bird. We’ve argued for years that this wasn’t a route where UA would have any interest because of the head-to-head competition with PR, and the general nature of the route (primarily VFR).

This is interesting. I don't think there's currently any service by a US carrier to Manila, is there? That seems like a gaping hole, given the size of the country and its economy, the population ties, etc. And I think it was starting to see a bit of a tourist moment before covid too.
The Philippines has a number of fantastic tourist destinations. Manila… isn’t really one of them.

DL served Manila for many years, first via NRT and then via ICN. However, I think they’ve pulled out, which is why there was an additional route authority available. (The US / Republic of the Philippines bilateral treaty is extremely restrictive).

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Well, to be a bit pendantic, UA is a US carrier, and UA has served MNL from GUM and ROR for years.
Correct, and pmCO / Air Mike before it.
moondog, SPN Lifer and Statman like this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 6:28 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
if someone were to say that UA would be adding two new TPAC cities from LAX/SFO this fall, i don’t know that i would have guessed either MNL or HKG.
dw, jsloan, SPN Lifer and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 6:28 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
In the article they mention expanding mainline China service. Is this restoring previous destinations or something new? I heard Chengdu did well, but Xian didn't. Not sure what other Chinese markets they'de want to go after? Qingdao? Tianjin (makes little sense with Beijing right there), Dalian? Macau?
Old Jul 18, 2023, 6:29 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
MNL was the very last Asian spoke from DL's NRT hub before it shut down at the end of 2019. I am also shocked that it's getting a 77W, but UA must see a business case for it.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and leftysauce like this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 6:36 am

Programs: UA1K
I think I'm most surprised about SFO-MNL being on a 77W....that's a lot of capacity, not to mention premium product, to run daily. Will be really interesting to see how that does, since UA's previous capacity there was a 737 from GUM. Will also be interesting to see if LAX-HKG is a bloodbath or not. Capacity still isn't back to pre-pandemic levels for the market, but competition has always been strong there.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and leftysauce like this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by steveo
In the article they mention expanding mainline China service. Is this restoring previous destinations or something new? I heard Chengdu did well, but Xian didn't. Not sure what other Chinese markets they'de want to go after? Qingdao? Tianjin (makes little sense with Beijing right there), Dalian? Macau?
From the discussion, it appears to be expanding back towards pre-Covid levels from where it is now.

Getting back to Beijing flights and daily to Shanghai would be a good start and I suspect UA's focus. I would think Guangzhou would be a sensible candidate for flights, though I realize Hong Kong can serve as something of a gateway there.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 6:59 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I’m guessing EWR-HKG is not coming back for the time being due to Russian airspace restrictions, so passengers will be routed through LAX and SFO.
jsloan, ty97, Icecat and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 7:25 am

LAX-HKG is on 789.
Second SFO-TPE is on 772.
SFO-MNL is on 77W.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 7:28 am

Was hoping for continued 2nd daily SFO-ICN after Oct. Looks like that's not going to happen.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Last time I flew into MNL on UA was a DC-10 from SEL. Love this!!!
kevino, SPN Lifer, N751PR and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jsloan
Is today April Fools’ Day?

LAX-HKG, and SFO-MNL on a 77W?!
That was the part that surprised me, using that particular airframe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.