Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ua 52 17 jul iad-iad

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2023, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Ua 52 17 jul iad-iad

Departed 2 hours late.
After 2+ hours of flight... return to Dulles.
First landing attempt... go around
On landing... poor support... separate line for Business rebooking but no agents.
Misinformed that baggage could be collected.
Line for Customer Support... over 100+ people just from other cancelled flights.
Only rebooking from IAD if you had baggage.
Filed report to have baggage delivered and returned to home station.
Question... can I claim taxi fare?

Last edited by AlwaysOnTheRoad; Jul 18, 2023 at 5:44 am Reason: Question
Old Jul 18, 2023, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
Question... can I claim taxi fare?
Should not be controversial IMHO. UA at fault. Adds to horrendous recent maintenance record they have
Old Jul 18, 2023, 6:00 am

The number of cancelled/delayed international flights due to maintenance is really astounding. Yesterday, UA975 GVA-IAD was cancelled due to mechanical. Looks like it's flying today along with a second GVA-IAD flight, UA3049.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
12 hours later... still "tracing" baggage. Wonderful.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 9:04 am

Sorry this happened to you! Would you mind sharing a bit more info on what happened during the flight? Why the late takeoff, turnaround all the way back to IAD (instead of diversion) and goaround in perfect weather? I'm guessing some type of landing gear issue? I'm scheduled to fly this route in a few days and feeling uneasy about all the issues with United lately. Thanks!!
Old Jul 18, 2023, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Original delay due to first aircraft having a technical problem. So, they change from 767-300 to 767-400. Take off time slips several times from 5:50 PM, to 6:30 PM, to 7:15 PM... aircraft takes off around 7:27 PM.

No predeparture drinks.

After 2+ hours, pilot comes on PA and says... you might have noticed we altered our course. We are over Nova Scotia. Says there is an issue with fuel gauges and we will be returning to Dulles.

On very final to Dulles, 20 feet from threshold, go around. Pilot says they had an indicator light.

Back to 4,000 feet and the usual process of getting into landing circuit.

Upon landing, I ask about reclaiming my bags. No problem... just go to baggage claim. Baggage claim... no bags will be provided but you can come back at 6 AM or 7 AM and check.

I file missing bag claim. They are still missing.

Another small gripe. Selected Seat 3A months ago. A few days ago changed to 5A. At check in before all of this unravelled... changed to 5F. All changes without any notification from UA.
rjburns likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 9:21 am

What a nightmare. Sounds like several compounding problems. Hope you get reunited with your bags soon!
Old Jul 18, 2023, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
Original delay due to first aircraft having a technical problem. So, they change from 767-300 to 767-400. Take off time slips several times from 5:50 PM, to 6:30 PM, to 7:15 PM... aircraft takes off around 7:27 PM.

No predeparture drinks.

After 2+ hours, pilot comes on PA and says... you might have noticed we altered our course. We are over Nova Scotia. Says there is an issue with fuel gauges and we will be returning to Dulles.

On very final to Dulles, 20 feet from threshold, go around. Pilot says they had an indicator light.

Back to 4,000 feet and the usual process of getting into landing circuit.

Upon landing, I ask about reclaiming my bags. No problem... just go to baggage claim. Baggage claim... no bags will be provided but you can come back at 6 AM or 7 AM and check.

I file missing bag claim. They are still missing.

Another small gripe. Selected Seat 3A months ago. A few days ago changed to 5A. At check in before all of this unravelled... changed to 5F. All changes without any notification from UA.
So…………
you would have chosen to fly with a broken fuel gauge?
Old Jul 18, 2023, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hotelboy
So…………
you would have chosen to fly with a broken fuel gauge?
that point is that UAs current 'aircraft maintenance' problem is severe. A 763 was scheduled then needed replacement due to a maintenance issue, then a 764 needs to turn around because of 'maintenance issues' the same day as a 763 apparently just 'lost' an emergency evacuation slide over Michigan? All of that with 10+ flights a day cancelled because UA's aircrafts aren't fit to fly?

It's pretty sad right now.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
that point is that UAs current 'aircraft maintenance' problem is severe. A 763 was scheduled then needed replacement due to a maintenance issue, then a 764 needs to turn around because of 'maintenance issues' the same day as a 763 apparently just 'lost' an emergency evacuation slide over Michigan? All of that with 10+ flights a day cancelled because UA's aircrafts aren't fit to fly?

So your car is in perfect working order at all times? Mechanical things break. Like…this is not shocking news. We are talking statistical insignificance. This was just bad luck not a commentary on United’s maintenance.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by cfischer

In your opinion what is an acceptable canx rate? Ua has a large fleet. Imo I would rather have some canx to fix issues before they become airborne emergencies than have them turn into air emergencies. I believe that is what the safety culture is all about.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by prestonh
Imo I would rather have some canx to fix issues before they become airborne emergencies than have them turn into air emergencies..
There's an old aviation maxim - "It's better to be down here wishing you were up there, than to be up there wishing you were down here."
Old Jul 18, 2023, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by hotelboy
So your car is in perfect working order at all times? Mechanical things break. Like…this is not shocking news. We are talking statistical insignificance. This was just bad luck not a commentary on United’s maintenance.
Ten+ TATL cancellations per day is way more than just statistically insignificant.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Ten+ TATL cancellations per day is way more than just statistically insignificant.
absolutely - I don’t have the dataset but historically United has less than a 1-2% cancel rate transoceanic. It’s been many times that lately. It’s significant at multiple standard deviations.

love, your friendly stats geek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.