Search

United overselling First?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2023, 1:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Status at the time?
Were you told at MCO or ORD?
Did they offer you an alternative flight to HKG (connection; another day)?
They told me at MCO right before boarding. I dont remember if they offered me another flight option because i had to be in HKG that day. This was 2016 or 2017 and i was 1K
Old Jul 19, 2023, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by TechnfxRick
I once was i first on MCO-ORD continuing on to HKG that I had used points to upgrade. They told me 10 min before boarding that someone had just bought a full fare ticket so they were going to downgrade me. Since there was only Middle seats left in E- I got a 1500 voucher to use later, so it would seem that full fare they will also bounce people.
Doesn't really make sense. If the cabin was booked full then they had no ticket to sell, even at full fare. And UA was not in the habit of overbooking the business cabin, especially on an international flight to HKG.

Glad they took care of you. But something else was off here.

-RM
Old May 26, 2024, 12:11 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Possible additional data point - apologies if the wrong thread.

My cousin and his wife flew out to Hawaii via DEN-OGG yesterday. 2 days before departure the UA website was offering an upgrade to J, but all fares were at 0 in the cabin on EF.

It does not mean they didn't block out the flight or that had he purchased (the price was less than appealing) it would have worked, but I did find it rather odd...
Old May 26, 2024, 12:14 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by PLeblond

My cousin and his wife flew out to Hawaii via DEN-OGG yesterday. 2 days before departure the UA website was offering an upgrade to J, but all fares were at ) in the cabin on EF.

It does not mean they didn't block out the flight or that had he purchased (the price was less than appealing) it would have worked, but I did find it rather odd...
DEN OGG is sometimes flown with 28 and sometimes with 32 seats. In addition 1A and B are not inventory until departure day. They always overbook by 2 before that
PLeblond likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 3:47 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I have taken that route many times in the past couple of years and the seating is often very fluid and unpredictable. I know quite a few people that fly up front that are constantly changing their schedules coming and going a day or two earlier or later, which makes understanding the inventory patterns very difficult. The waitlist for economy on my last trip had over 30 names on it and I have been upgraded even when the cabin is listed as full, and sometimes four or five seats will open up at the last minute.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If I had to bet, the purchase would have errored out.
Old May 26, 2024, 9:00 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond

My cousin and his wife flew out to Hawaii via DEN-OGG yesterday. 2 days before departure the UA website was offering an upgrade to J, but all fares were at 0 in the cabin on EF.

Just to add a tangential data point: I've had flights showing J0 which offered a cash upgrade, which I took, and picked a seat. Feel like it was around $299 for DEN-IAD. But I've also cleared CPU on such a flight only to have the GA downgrade me due to being "oversold" (then why clear CPUs?).
findark likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 9:10 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by TechnfxRick
I once was i first on MCO-ORD continuing on to HKG that I had used points to upgrade. They told me 10 min before boarding that someone had just bought a full fare ticket so they were going to downgrade me. Since there was only Middle seats left in E- I got a 1500 voucher to use later, so it would seem that full fare they will also bounce people.
GS/1K have the ability to claim a guaranteed seat at various time windows, so in a sense anyone not GS/ 1kcould be bumped out of J
Old May 26, 2024, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
One time during Covid, I declined an upgrade at the gate on a 24 F 753 because I could get 3-across in back. The screen showed 25 booked and I was still listed as “upgraded” in row 28 or whatever.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 1:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
GS/1K have the ability to claim a guaranteed seat at various time windows, so in a sense anyone not GS/ 1kcould be bumped out of J
This benefit only yields a Y or B class ticket, not anything in J or PE, so it's not relevant to the issue at hand.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
This benefit only yields a Y or B class ticket, not anything in J or PE, so it's not relevant to the issue at hand.
lve bought into J on short notice twice in the last 2 years, on flights showing fully booked J , one trans Con and one TATL
Old May 27, 2024, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lve bought into J on short notice twice in the last 2 years, on flights showing fully booked J , one trans Con and one TATL
How did you do so?
Old May 27, 2024, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by fumje
How did you do so?
GS call center
Old May 30, 2024, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
One time during Covid, I declined an upgrade at the gate on a 24 F 753 because I could get 3-across in back. The screen showed 25 booked and I was still listed as “upgraded” in row 28 or whatever.
Once the upgrade has processed and you request to be downgraded, the “upgraded” flag sticks so you’ll show up on the app but with your Y seat assignment. This is standard procedure in terms of how the app handles that situation.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 30, 2024, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
I've been bumped out of paid J before at the last minute as a 1K. I always assumed it was because of a FAM, but I guess it could've been a GS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.