Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA20, IAH-AMS, 09 July diverted because J passenger doesn't get preferred meal choice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA20, IAH-AMS, 09 July diverted because J passenger doesn't get preferred meal choice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2023, 12:02 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
As a Global Service passenger that often finds himself without a meal on long haul Polaris flights due to UA glitches, catering mishaps, and overall customer service people that don't care, I can empathize with this passenger. United doesn't care about its passengers. And they definitely don't care about the garbage they serve on board pretending to be food when they do actually manage to serve it.
I'm in my 12th year as GS and I have literally never not been able to get a meal.... in fact, there has not been one instance where I have not received my first choice. You must have some bad luck!
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 12:53 am

Programs: United Premier Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
plus we only saw 2 minutes of this tool's tirade.
If you go to the actual TikTok link, the poster says there was much more before this that was worse (and probably prompted the diversion).

Between this and the "that guy ain't real" lady from a few days ago, I think we're safely back in pre-COVID flight insanity lol
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by UndercoverOscarMunoz
Yeah, it's way tamer than I expected. I'm surprised they diverted over this, unless it escalated significantly after the end of the recording.
The FAs must have felt threatened or that there was the potential for violence . It's a short clip of what was almost certainly a protracted incident
Old Jul 13, 2023, 6:58 am

De-escalating a situation takes significant effort. I suspect after a long period of high travel stress (especially on UA ) effort was in short supply.

Example:

I flew AF long haul business last week.

I had already noticed a guy in the lounge drinking beer. That gentleman seemed a bit "off" boarding (agitated) and I heard him asking for a second glass of pre-dept. champagne.

30 minutes into the flight I use the lav. While washing my hands I hear loud arguing from the galley. I exit and that same gentleman points directly at me and shouts "it was him!" - while continuing to argue with 3 FAs. I have absolutely no clue why he is pointing at me. We had absolutely no previous interaction and he was still seated when I walked to the lav. The lead FA (also very agitated and starting to lose her cool) tells him we are going to divert if he doesn't follow instructions. It's a 10 hour flight so Im' thinking let's calm this guy down.

While I pass him I ask him calmly and in a very friendly manner if there is anything I can do for him - that I am very happy to help. He tells me he has a prostate issue and urgently needs to use the lav. I commiserate, tell him that must be a challenge, that the lav is now free and to please feel free to use it. The lead FA doesn't like my intervention and tells me she's in charge but stops arguing. The guy grunts, darts into the lav and the rest of the flight is uneventful. But does have quite a few more drinks. Upon exiting the plane he chews out the lead FA: "worst flight of my life".

I think I made the right call.

Wonderful flight, food, and service by the way.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I wonder if any charges will be brought against the removed individual.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by erik123
De-escalating a situation takes significant effort. I suspect after a long period of high travel stress (especially on UA ) effort was in short supply.

Example:

I flew AF long haul business last week.

I had already noticed a guy in the lounge drinking beer. That gentleman seemed a bit "off" boarding (agitated) and I heard him asking for a second glass of pre-dept. champagne.

30 minutes into the flight I use the lav. While washing my hands I hear loud arguing from the galley. I exit and that same gentleman points directly at me and shouts "it was him!" - while continuing to argue with 3 FAs. I have absolutely no clue why he is pointing at me. We had absolutely no previous interaction and he was still seated when I walked to the lav. The lead FA (also very agitated and starting to lose her cool) tells him we are going to divert if he doesn't follow instructions. It's a 10 hour flight so Im' thinking let's calm this guy down.

While I pass him I ask him calmly and in a very friendly manner if there is anything I can do for him - that I am very happy to help. He tells me he has a prostate issue and urgently needs to use the lav. I commiserate, tell him that must be a challenge, that the lav is now free and to please feel free to use it. The lead FA doesn't like my intervention and tells me she's in charge but stops arguing. The guy grunts, darts into the lav and the rest of the flight is uneventful. But does have quite a few more drinks. Upon exiting the plane he chews out the lead FA: "worst flight of my life".

I think I made the right call.

Wonderful flight, food, and service by the way.
De-escalation is a skill that appears to be in short supply these days. I witnessed some masterful work on a flight once. Two passengers got into a full-on fight and we're grappling in the aisle. The purser came rushing in and loudly announced that they would be banned for life and arrested upon landing if they didn't cease immediately. It was like throwing cold water on fighting dogs. It instantly stopped. She asked the men if they would be able to sit across from each other on the aisle for the rest of the flight without any problems. They both answered, "yes", and there were no further problems. Problem solved.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 13, 2023 at 8:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.