Wiki Posts
Search

UA 757-200 Routes and General Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2023, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
UA 757-200 Routes and General Discussion

A little history first: Continental acquired thr 757-200 fleet for use on thin EWR-Europe Routes and started non-stop service to many eurupean cities that previously required a connection, nostlikely in LHR or FRA. After the merger, United moved their Premium Service NYC-SFO/LAX from JFK to EWR, and the pmCO 757-200s joined the pmUA 757-200s on ps flights out of EWR. Covid brought the end of all sUA 757-200s and the pmCO versions are the only that remain. UA continued keep them mainly on the EWR-LAX/JFK service, however as of the middle of 2022, almost all EWR-SFO/LAX flights are on Widebodys.

So do these planes have a new home, or are they just used throughout the system? They are the only narrow-bodies with lie-flat seats, making them a treat for customers, but if on a Domestic First flight (not EWR-LAX/SFO), Lie-flat seats are not a guarantee. Are they still frequented on the EWR-MCO route? I saw that they’re used on some of the EWR-SAN flights, including the eastbound Red-eye, a nice place for them. While it will never happen, and would be a logistical nightmare for UA, using them on the Island Hopper Route would be a win for Business Passemgers.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Some of them fly to EDI. On 6/20 I flew IAD-EDI, and there were two others flying out of EWR and one out of ORD. (not the answer you were hoping for, I know, given that your interest was domestic lie-flat seats).
Old Jun 28, 2023, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
My experience tends to be that during offseason, the 752s get used far more widely on hub-hub routes and lots of EWR-Florida flights, while being sparser on premium TCON because UA has an excess of widebodies and can upgauge the TCON flying. Once you get to summer season, they pop up a lot more the seasonal EWR routes to Europe, as well as being used much more heavily on EWR-SFO/LAX because all the widebodies get assigned to European flying.

While I have a soft spot in the heart for the 752s, the lack of direct aisle access in J vs. every other bird they have in a nonstarter, and during the winter IATA season I will try to book any TCON flight I can away from it. Just a lot of wear and tear, and I am looking forward to when the MAX 10s and A321XLRs come online.
Get2DaChopper likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
IIRC, the first batch (1994-95) of CO 757 deliveries were in a 24/159 domestic configuration and mostly flew transcons and Latin America. More like how UA and AA flew theirs. I remember the 757 enabling new routes like EWR-SNA, SJC, SAN and SEA, along with additional LAX/SFO flights. Prior to that, EWR transcons were limited to DC-10/747 and a few oddball "long range" 737-300s. CO did not start taking BF-equipped 757s until 1996 or 1997, and started flying TATL around this time. EWR-LIS comes to mind as an early 757 route to Europe. It was later (2008 or so) that all of the 752s were converted to international configuration, first with old DC-10 BF recliner seats, and CO's first AVOD entertainment system.

Definitely a workhorse with a mission profile that evolved dramatically over the years.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
There are currently four R/T BOS<>SFO<>BOS on the 752, and two BOS<>LAX<>BOS most days.
telemark27 and bakster21 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 5:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If you go to https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking, go to the 752 lab and click on the tail number, you can see the last weeks for each frame (more if you signup for a free flightaware account)

Such as https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N58101 did a ORD-DUB run today -- has recent done KEF, EDI, ARN, .. OPO is also at stop
some EWR tanscon to LAX and SEA and BOS_SFO, ....
EWR-MCO
other routes include DEN-HNL/KOA/LIH

A little of this, a little of that

try some of the links
Old Jun 28, 2023, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I actually really like flying these when they appear at my home airports. The legroom on the bulkhead Y seat is huuuuuuge.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
UA 752s are all over the place in July:

Code:
 orig | dest | flights 
------+------+---------
 LAX  | EWR  |     222
 EWR  | LAX  |     201
 SFO  | BOS  |     160
 BOS  | SFO  |     159
 BOS  | LAX  |     143
 LAX  | BOS  |     143
 EWR  | MCO  |     106
 MCO  | EWR  |     101
 SFO  | EWR  |      88
 EWR  | SFO  |      62
 EDI  | EWR  |      62
 ORD  | EWR  |      62
 EWR  | ARN  |      62
 EWR  | ORD  |      62
 IAD  | LIS  |      62
 EWR  | EDI  |      62
 EWR  | DEN  |      61
 DEN  | EWR  |      60
 DUB  | ORD  |      60
 OPO  | EWR  |      60
 DEN  | LAS  |      59
 SFO  | DEN  |      54
 ORD  | SFO  |      50
 SEA  | IAD  |      43
 LAS  | DEN  |      37
 ORD  | IAD  |      34
 TFS  | EWR  |      31
 KOA  | SFO  |      31
 IAD  | EDI  |      31
 OGG  | DEN  |      31
 KEF  | ORD  |      31
 EWR  | SNN  |      31
 ARN  | EWR  |      31
 LIH  | DEN  |      31
 IAD  | ORD  |      31
 EDI  | ORD  |      31
 LIM  | EWR  |      31
 EDI  | IAD  |      31
 SFO  | KOA  |      31
 DUB  | EWR  |      31
 ORD  | SNN  |      31
 DEN  | ORD  |      31
 EWR  | LIM  |      31
 EWR  | DUB  |      31
 ORD  | EDI  |      31
 EWR  | OPO  |      31
 EWR  | TFS  |      31
 SNN  | ORD  |      31
 SNN  | EWR  |      31
 LAX  | MCO  |      31
 ORD  | DUB  |      31
 HNL  | DEN  |      31
 AGP  | EWR  |      31
 EWR  | AGP  |      31
 DEN  | OGG  |      31
 DEN  | HNL  |      31
 LIS  | IAD  |      31
 ORD  | KEF  |      31
 KOA  | DEN  |      31
 DEN  | LIH  |      31
 DEN  | KOA  |      30
 EWR  | SEA  |      30
 MCO  | LAX  |      29
 IAD  | EWR  |      29
 TPA  | IAD  |      16
 IAD  | TPA  |       9
 IAD  | LAS  |       9
 LAS  | IAD  |       8
 LAX  | DEN  |       3
 DEN  | LAX  |       3
 DEN  | IAD  |       2
 BUR  | DEN  |       1
 MCI  | BUR  |       1
 IAD  | DEN  |       1
 DEN  | MCI  |       1
 DEN  | SFO  |       1
 LAS  | EWR  |       1
SPN Lifer, ty97, Kmxu and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
UA 752s are all over the place in July:

Code:
orig | dest | flights
------+------+---------
EWR | ARN | 62
ARN | EWR | 31
Sure, but it seems that before too long, they're all going to be stuck in Stockholm.
pseudoswede, strowger and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I am liking 752 less and less with most fleet have been slim lined by now. The exit row 22 was the best before the mod, but now I don't want to go anywhere near on the slim line version.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
While I have a soft spot in the heart for the 752s, the lack of direct aisle access in J vs. every other bird they have in a nonstarter, and during the winter IATA season I will try to book any TCON flight I can away from it. Just a lot of wear and tear, and I am looking forward to when the MAX 10s and A321XLRs come online.
I have a soft spot for them as well. I seldom fly without wifey, and she’s perfectly contnet not getting out of her seat at all on a T-Con or even a shorter T-Atlantic, so the lack of all aisle access is not a concern.
Given that the Premium T-Cons are biz-heavy routes, the Polaris hard product makes sense for it.
My purpose of the thread is less hopeful for them in Domestic service, and more about my interest in the fleet itself. The smaller J-cabin is the closest we’ll ever get to the upper deck of a 747, with the 2 x 2 and overall privacy of the cabin itself.
Were there ever 757-200s in the 24F configuration? I know the 757-300s have aleays been a 24F, which is not the bird I’m referring to.

My father flew for CO and UA and spent many years on the 757-767 fleet. He enjoyed going to the smaller cities that this aircraft opeend markets to, such as MAN, EDI, GLA, etc. He occationally made it as far as OSL or CPH, but that might have been a 767-200. He enjoyed visiting the variety of cities that he lost access to when went to the 777-200.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
789 on the UA has a mini J from row 9 to row 12, 16 total seats, same as 752.

Other airliners, have even smaller mini cabin within a larger J cabin, 8 seats (2 rows 1-2-1). They do feel very private.

Of course, international F is where you can really get private.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I flew 752 in J last year on EWR-TFS. Nice plane for niche routes but I find flights on 752 very hard to find PZ space, as compared to on high-J 763 or 77W.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Not long before the merger, a CO 752 once helped save Christmas for me. I was in Stockholm for work until shortly before Christmas, and was scheduled to fly home ARN-LHR-ORD on BA/AA when a winter storm hit Europe. It brought many/most of the major European hubs (LHR, AMS, CDG, FRA) to a virtual standstill, for more than one day, to my recollection. Rebooking lines for all airlines at ARN were enormous.

I noticed that CO had a 752 operating EWR-ARN with availability Y1 (ExpertFlyer with the assist on saving Christmas). Called my work travel agency very quickly over Skype and got that seat. My recollection is I sat in the next to last row of the plane. And I was thrilled to be there.

A co-worker couldn't get a flight out for 5 or 6 more days.

For many reasons, that one included, I have a warm spot for 757s. (My first ever F flight was on a DL 757).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Were there ever 757-200s in the 24F configuration? I know the 757-300s have aleays been a 24F, which is not the bird I’m referring to.
At CO, they started off as 24F and some persisted in that domestic configuration until 2006-2007, when CO converted the entire fleet to the BF config to support EWR international expansion.

My father flew for CO and UA and spent many years on the 757-767 fleet. He enjoyed going to the smaller cities that this aircraft opeend markets to, such as MAN, EDI, GLA, etc. He occationally made it as far as OSL or CPH, but that might have been a 767-200. He enjoyed visiting the variety of cities that he lost access to when went to the 777-200.
757/767 flying out of EWR remains some of the best variety in the system.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.