Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR-SFO-PPT Check in Time

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2023, 11:27 am
Original Poster

EWR-SFO-PPT Check in Time

Flying business on Saturday July 8. Departure is at 6:30 am. We are staying at an airport hotel which has a shuttle every 30 minutes. Is taking a 4:30 shuttle to the airport (probably a 5 minute drive) OK?
Old Jun 27, 2023, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Are you checking luggage?

Are you a MP elite?

Does your party have any mobility or security issues?

Does everyone in your party have their travel documents in order?

How important is it to you that you make this flight/trip as scheduled?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
With PreCheck and no bags to check, 4:30 shuttle definitely adequate. If you have bag(s) to check, I might opt for 4am shuttle, knowing I have lie-flat seats lined up for trip and squeeze a bit more time in PL for breakfast if I'm at door 5am.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
IMhO, it is not. I'd go for an earlier shuttle, and if you do breeze thru check in/arrival... Polaris Lounge opens at 5.... not a terrible place to kill time.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. We have to make this flight as the SFO-PPT leg does not operate every day. We are checking bags. Sounds like the 4:00 am shuttle
Old Jun 27, 2023, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
4.30 shuttle IMO. Check-in at the Polaris counter should be quick. Don't see why you would need to get up 1/2 hr earlier.
Repooc17 and ijgordon like this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Take the 4am. While the TravelReady Center may claim that all of your documents are in order, it just takes one check-in clerk to misinterpret rules or have some other problem with your documents, and you miss your flight. Further, hotel shuttles aren't run by perfectionists, and the 4:30am driver may not show up on time or find that the van has a flat tire. What's the cost of a half hour of sleep relative to a stressful ride to the airport, or even worse, a ruined vacation to Tahiti?
SPN Lifer and drgreg like this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by seenitall
find that the van has a flat tire
This one happened to the flight crew on one of my flights last week. Then the pilots got pulled for random checks at security.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
One should not plan per the expectation that things will go correctly.
One should plan per the expectation that some things will not go correctly, the probability of those things not going correctly, and the severity of the consequences if those things don't go correctly.
If it were me I'd be on the 4:00 shuttle.
BearX220 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
i would rather be post-security and in the lounge with 60 minutes before boarding, wondering what to drink first, than in a long security line pre-security 60 minutes before boarding, wondering whether I'll make the flight.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
IMhO, it is not. I'd go for an earlier shuttle, and if you do breeze thru check in/arrival... Polaris Lounge opens at 5.... not a terrible place to kill time.
Last time I was in the PL right when they opened, they didn't have any hot food for the first hour. Not sure if that was a one-off or still the case, if someone that has recently arrived at 5:00am could confirm.

Just in case that's important to you.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
On a Saturday morning, 4:30 am would be fine.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by seenitall
Take the 4am. While the TravelReady Center may claim that all of your documents are in order, it just takes one check-in clerk to misinterpret rules or have some other problem with your documents, and you miss your flight. Further, hotel shuttles aren't run by perfectionists, and the 4:30am driver may not show up on time or find that the van has a flat tire. What's the cost of a half hour of sleep relative to a stressful ride to the airport, or even worse, a ruined vacation to Tahiti?
The Tahiti flight isn't until afternoon Pacific time. There are fall back options.

If the 430am driver isn't showing up, but no problem with the 4am driver. There is usually only one driver for the specific time period.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 5:54 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
The 5am shuttle would be okay with Polaris check-in. Hopefully that answers your question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.