Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is there a workaround when UA rep cannot book LH leg?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2023, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Hi,

So, found flight with PZ pace ewr to MUC , for my PBI-EWR-MUC-NAP trip. The website had error when trying to purchase, so called UA and they said the MUC-NAP is run by LH, but it is not booking for them. Tried a later MUC-NAP and they got the same error. Is there something they should do , like call LH ? The flight is available direct one their website. I would just book direct, but my PBI-NAP flight is $1030, if she takes away the MUC-NAP leg it goes UP to $1070, plus it would cost me $320 if I book MUC-NAP direct with LH. .

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 22, 2023 at 10:52 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't have a solution, but since you asked for a workaround, I think this qualifies: try finding -MUC-ZRH-NAP instead of -MUC-NAP (may need to use google flights). I've run into this issue where sometimes LH group gives UA some kind of phantom inventory even on a revenue ticket, so then when you try to purchase it gets blocked. The only way around I have found is to change the LH group carrier.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 10:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Likely a LH fare rule restriction, you might try a multicity booking PBI-MUC, MUC-NAP. But LH is getting very picky about letting UA book certain flights.

Investigation the LH MUC-NAP fare rules (via EF or KVS) would be the next step.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Likely a LH fare rule restriction, you might try a multicity booking PBI-MUC, MUC-NAP. But LH is getting very picky about letting UA book certain flights.

Why would it be a fare rule restriction? And if so, shouldn't it be on UA's side? I think the ticket is PBI-NAP, not PBI-MUC combined MUC-NAP, but the latter is the only one that should involve LH fare rules.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
Why would it be a fare rule restriction? And if so, shouldn't it be on UA's side? I think the ticket is PBI-NAP, not PBI-MUC combined MUC-NAP, but the latter is the only one that should involve LH fare rules.
Depends on how it is booking but yes checkin the UA fares rules would be probably best to start with. But I have it cases where the UA fare rules were fine BUT LH imposed additional requirements
Why PremPlus not available on certain flights with non-PremEcon partner connection?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depends on how it is booking but yes checkin the UA fares rules would be probably best to start with. But I have it cases where the UA fare rules were fine BUT LH imposed additional requirements
Why PremPlus not available on certain flights with non-PremEcon partner connection?
Ah, I was not thinking about OAR and delegation on connector flights without the cabin. It would be good to know whether OP is trying to by regular or premium economy fare.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Ah, I was not thinking about OAR and delegation on connector flights without the cabin. It would be good to know whether OP is trying to by regular or premium economy fare.
I don't think that is the only issue, there have been others, in addition to married segments. Booking connecting LH flights are not problem free nowadays.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think that is the only issue, there have been others, in addition to married segments. Booking connecting LH flights are not problem free nowadays.
Yes, I have had a couple of experiences with what seems like phantom revenue inventory from LH (referenced in my post above) on straight-Y tickets, which is how I know my suggested workaround above can work. Can get all the way to purchase, and then there's an error. When I've called in, agent said that LX (in that case) was refusing the ticket due to inventory, but when I found same routing swapping in LH, it worked. I've also had the reverse (LH failed, LX worked; didn't call about that one though).
Old Jun 22, 2023, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I did it as a multi city - PBI-EWR-MUC ( for the PZ open space) then next day MUC-NAP. Not sure I am doing it wrong as not used LH website before, but I cannot see either a set map or fare classes on my searches. Kind of seems crazy if they make you book , before seeing a seat map. At 6'4 ,I would NEVER book a flight without being about to check extra legroom availability first.

Just kind of sucks that if you can book the MUC-NAP via United , it is included in price of whole trip, but going direct adds $320.

I booked to PBI-MUC anyway, to grab the unicorn PZ space, as it is literally the only space EWR to any of their direct 27 cities in Europe. I search them all twice a day lol. I figure if a better route opens up PZ , then I can just change the flight for free, and pay any price difference.
jasonp622 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Try google flights. Can be as simple as ensuring MUC-NAP is LH coded or UA coded. UA will always try to book the codeshare IME
Old Jun 22, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I've dealt with this issue for years trying to get to Bahrain. LH for whatever reason does not make certain fare buckets available to UA on an apparently random basis. For example -- when I can book a Z fare to BAH from EWR I could do it on a Friday or Saturday but not during the week -- and if I try to do via .bomb it makes it will force C/J -- if it is even available at all... If I booked it on LH metal all was good at the Z level...

LH/LX just seem to have a contentious relationship with "sharing" their inventory to UA -- wish it would improve as its a real pain for me too -- sometimes I've had to fly home on different days just to get the flights I needed at a price that was reasonable.

Fortunately with the new DXB flight & Codeshare with EK this point is now moot.... I wonder if LH realizes how much revenue they could be giving up each year -- or maybe they just don't care since the incremental cost of some like OP to add that segment to a 016 ticket just isn't worth it to them?
Old Jun 23, 2023, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Just found a flight PBI-EWR-ZRH-FCO with PZ space, but again, tried to book it and it got the error message, so I presume the Swiss Air one did not book either, just like LH. Kind of annoying UA even has the flights as an option , when you can never book it.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by simonoaks
Just found a flight PBI-EWR-ZRH-FCO with PZ space, but again, tried to book it and it got the error message, .....
Are you applying the PlusPoints at booking? Have you tried this without PlusPoints? Which can then be applied after booking?
Grasping at straws but the applying upgrade while booking is known to do strange things.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Are you applying the PlusPoints at booking? Have you tried this without PlusPoints? Which can then be applied after booking?
Grasping at straws but the applying upgrade while booking is known to do strange things.
Tried both ways. Called them and they tried it and like with all the LH flights they tried for me yesterday, it failed. I called Swiss Air and they said the inventory is there, it is a fault on UA side.

UA then tried a later flight for the ZRH-FCO leg , and it worked. So I cancelled my current booking for PBI-EWR-MUC that UA could not book the final leg on LH for me and booked PBI-EWR-ZRH-FCO, using 80 PP for the instant upgrade. Crazy how it was $850 for that route , but $1300 she removed the ZRH-FCO leg. I now have a 9 hr layover in ZRH, need to see if my Polaris leg gives me any kind of lounge access in ZRH. Even so, I think I will either just book the flight I wanted that UA could not get, direct with Swiss for $220, or get a 6.5 hr train. Both options beat 9 hr layover.

I will continue to search each day to see if any PZ opens up for direct EWR-any Italy, and change the flight if it does.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 2:03 pm

.I now have a 9 hr layover in ZRH, need to see if my Polaris leg gives me any kind of lounge access in ZRH. ...
Arrival flight does not matter, you will need to be in business for ZRH-FCO or you have *G or UC membership to have access at the nice LX lounges in ZRH.

..Even so, I think I will either just book the flight I wanted that UA could not get, direct with Swiss for $220, or get a 6.5 hr train. Both options beat 9 hr layover. ...
As long as this is oneway flight, those are possible options. Not if RT.
DiamondMile likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.