Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Options on Missed Connection

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2023, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Baggage Options on Missed Connection

We're flying BTV - ORD - SBN tonight. Looks like we're going to miss the connection due to inbound aircraft. Since it's the last SBN flight of the evening, I would prefer to just rent a car and drive, however we will be checking bags. Can I just have them tag the bags to ORD while we're in BTV? If not, will they send them to SBN the next day even though we won't be on a flight?
Old Jun 12, 2023, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
How certain are you that ORD-SBN will operate on schedule tonight?
Old Jun 12, 2023, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Only as certain as one can be 8 hours ahead of time, but those CR2s stay pretty regional and there doesn't seem to be weather issues in that area today.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vtgambler
We're flying BTV - ORD - SBN tonight. Looks like we're going to miss the connection due to inbound aircraft. Since it's the last SBN flight of the evening, I would prefer to just rent a car and drive, however we will be checking bags. Can I just have them tag the bags to ORD while we're in BTV? If not, will they send them to SBN the next day even though we won't be on a flight?
At BTV, if it still looks likely that you’ll miss your connection, you should be able to change your ticket to terminate travel at ORD. (Just because you haven’t seen a delay on ORD-SBN yet doesn’t mean one won’t crop up). They will not short-check your bag to ORD without removing the ORD-SBN flight from the itinerary, but that should be routine if a misconnect looks obvious (i.e,, you’ll arrive 30+ minutes after ORD-SBN will depart). The app might go into IRROPS mode when the delay on BTV-ORD is posted, and that will generally allow you to pick a new destination also.

If your bag ends up getting tagged to SBN, but you still miss your connection, you can request to have it pulled at ORD, but they’ll tell you that it may take as long as three hours, and they’ll pretty much mean it. You can also have it delivered to you in SBN the following day.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The plane currently expected to operate your ORD-SBN has been sitting in ORD for 3 days, it's not even bouncing around the region.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...214Z/KORD/KSBN

Only as certain as one can be 8 hours ahead of time, but those CR2s stay pretty regional and there doesn't seem to be weather issues in that area today.
Other than the giant line of storms east of ORD?

Last edited by mduell; Jun 12, 2023 at 12:14 pm
Old Jun 12, 2023, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. As mentioned, they won't short check bags, but she did assure us that our bags would ultimately make their way to SBN even if we skipped the last leg.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the information. As mentioned, they won't short check bags, but she did assure us that our bags would ultimately make their way to SBN even if we skipped the last leg.
Correct. However, if this is a round-trip flight, make sure that you inform UA if you decide to skip a flight due to a missed connection. Otherwise, they’ll rebook you on an ORD-SBN flight tomorrow, and when you miss it, they’ll cancel your return legs.
jpezaris, SPN Lifer and EAJuggalo like this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
OP missed the connection by a lot.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Yes, missed by a lot. Fortunately, it was pretty obvious this was going to happen so I had the car booked. Bags arrived safely at SBN this afternoon, although not on the flight they had rebooked us on which seems odd.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.