Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA print at home BP no longer accepted by TSA? Multiple airports? Mobile BP OK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2023, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P

Just got to EWR and at both Clear and Precheck my printed at home BP was not accepted - I was told that now it must be printed at the airport - or use the electronic one…

At Clear the machine asked the agent to validate my ID - and at TSA PC I got the red light - using the electronic BP all was fine….

How did I miss this change?
Old May 27, 2023, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
How did I miss this change?
Sounds like EWR making up the rules again.
Spiff, MazdaMP, LAXOGG and 9 others like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Sounds like EWR making up the rules again.
Thats what I thought as well - but sure enough it errored at both Clear and TSA….
Old May 27, 2023, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I was surprised at IAD on Monday when my printed at home didn't work with TSA. It was accepted at CLEAR but I got a random ID check. At LGA on Thursday I printed at a kiosk and it worked. BTW will LGA ever get CLEAR?
Old May 27, 2023, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mander
I was surprised at IAD on Monday when my printed at home didn't work with TSA. It was accepted at CLEAR but I got a random ID check. At LGA on Thursday I printed at a kiosk and it worked. BTW will LGA ever get CLEAR?
I don’t think it was random - I think something has changed with security protocols as it wasn’t UA related - it was clear and TSA - in fact they knew I had printed my BP at home before even seeing it!
mander and wrp96 like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 12:30 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Same issue at EWR precheck earlier this week with the home printed BP. The line monitors were fine with it but TSA was ready to send me back to check in before I found it on my phone.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ted
Same issue at EWR precheck earlier this week with the home printed BP. The line monitors were fine with it but TSA was ready to send me back to check in before I found it on my phone.
They told me the same - I’d have to go back to GS to print my BP - even though I had Clear - but I already had it in the app…

I wonder what has changed from a security perspective? FWIW my printed boarding pass worked at the UA club….
Old May 27, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
They told me the same - I’d have to go back to GS to print my BP - even though I had Clear - but I already had it in the app…

I wonder what has changed from a security perspective? FWIW my printed boarding pass worked at the UA club….
I used the one on the app too at TSA and was fine. The printed at home worked in the club for me too. D
Old May 27, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K

From a security perspective that doesn't make a lot of sense - any security risk in a paper BP also exists in something on the screen of a device (and given the data in both barcodes has a signature, this doesn't add up either)

I don’t think it was random - I think something has changed with security protocols as it wasn’t UA related - it was clear and TSA - in fact they knew I had printed my BP at home before even seeing it!
Do you mean the Clear kiosk errored out and the clear agent offered that as the explanation?
Old May 27, 2023, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AUSNYCflyer
From a security perspective that doesn't make a lot of sense - any security risk in a paper BP also exists in something on the screen of a device (and given the data in both barcodes has a signature, this doesn't add up either)

Do you mean the Clear kiosk errored out and the clear agent offered that as the explanation?
Yea - it errored out and said to check my ID manually at Clear - and before he even saw my BP he knew I had printed it at home…. My printed BP also failed in the TSA reader - digital was fine…. Both said the same thing to me - either digital or printed at airport now….
Old May 27, 2023, 2:17 pm
O62

If this is true, couldn't you just print the QR code from the app? Makes no sense.
Old May 27, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
This is why I love FlyerTalk. Always learning new things. Like there are still people who print their boarding passes at home. 😊
dw, Steve M, wcj1 and 25 others like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Printed at home BP worked at SEA earlier this month (EWR-bound, not that it makes any difference). So if there was indeed a change must be very recent.
Old May 27, 2023, 4:13 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Part of me is skeptical the other part isn't surprised... print-at-hone BP barcode is intended to have a cryptographic signature that I don;t think is particularly secure. It's entirely possible someone has found a way to forge the signature and TSA is reacting in this way (CLEAR is at TSA's behest so if TSA has decided to not accept them as valid I would be shocked if CLEAR even had a way to allow it)-- the writing has also been on the wall that the print at home BP is a dying sort given the removal of the ability to get a PDF of the boarding pass a while ago.

The mobile app QR code is secured with a (slightly?) more secure signature/signature algorithm -- part of the reason why every time you display the BP on the app the QR code changes

In any event TSA is pushing toward/piloting biometric ID verification -- e.g. at RIC neither my ID nor boarding pass were checked by the TSA ID checker so I have a feeling that for the majority of domestic travelers in the not too distant future this will be entirely moot aside from some rare corner cases (e.g. thanks to CBP issues on my recent trip I need to be very sure that if a TA is booking the tiicket they book it with my PART1-PART2 hyphenated surname as PART1PART2 not PART1 PART2. I didn't even notice it -- and the BP printed as normal -- but this simple difference broke CLEAR, Global Entry and UA's automated passport verification...
dw, KRSW and TPACjv like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 4:19 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This is really annoying. I always use my printed BP when going through security. When I go through the checkpoint, my phone, and other metallic objects I carry in my pocket, are tucked away in my backpack or briefcase.
Spiff, LGA, mander and 7 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.