Wiki Posts
Search

Where's my (cloth napkin) buttonhole?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2023, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Where's my (cloth napkin) buttonhole?

I haven't seen this discussed in any of the relevant forums (Polaris, Premium Plus, First), but when did they decide to eliminate the very useful buttonhole on the cloth napkins? If anyone at UA is listening, can we bring this back?
airoli, trust77, jpezaris and 7 others like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by elitefreak
I haven't seen this discussed in any of the relevant forums (Polaris, Premium Plus, First), but when did they decide to eliminate the very useful buttonhole on the cloth napkins? If anyone at UA is listening, can we bring this back?
Sorry, frills like a buttonhole cost money.

I agree with you, however, they are very useful.
Old May 27, 2023, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'm glad they got rid of them. They get in the way of an otherwise useful napkin.
Old May 27, 2023, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by elitefreak
Uh oh - how long has the buttonhole-less napkins been provided? Wonder if UA thinks business folks are gone from their desirable flyers list.

David
Old May 27, 2023, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I have been missing them too. They have been gone for about a year, based on recollection. I did get one a few weeks ago on a Delhi trip, but only on one of the two meals. Since it was a one-off, I think it just snuck through.

Sad, because it is a helpful feature and really can’t cost much (anything?) to have.
8MiHi likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Yes, I would like to see the return of buttonholes.
Old May 27, 2023, 7:11 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
I also prefer the napkin with a button hole. It's shown up about 50% the time on my international trips this year.If they are phasing them out, it's a disappointment to me.

I also noticed toothpicks weren't included on recent flights either so perhaps it's another enhancement "based on customer feedback"...
Old May 27, 2023, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cmhua777
I have been missing them too. They have been gone for about a year, based on recollection. I did get one a few weeks ago on a Delhi trip, but only on one of the two meals. Since it was a one-off, I think it just snuck through.

Sad, because it is a helpful feature and really can’t cost much (anything?) to have.
TBH, I've seen and used the buttonhole napkins on domestic flights earlier this year (Jan-Mar) but haven't recently been on any midcon/transcon flights where sufficient distance was involved and a meal service was provided.

David
Old May 27, 2023, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
TBH, I've seen and used the buttonhole napkins on domestic flights earlier this year (Jan-Mar) but haven't recently been on any midcon/transcon flights where sufficient distance was involved and a meal service was provided.

David
I believe the button hole started disappearing more than a couple years ago, but I've continued to see it on napkins with fair regularity, so I think safe to say there are quite a few still circulating.

I think also someone posted on here about knifing a button hole when absent, which I've not personally tried, but which seems a reasonable countermeasure to this annoying Kirby Kut (irony fully noted).
FLYMSY, malgudi, jpezaris and 2 others like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 11:15 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I have missed it much. I wrote about it in an old thread once as years ago someone thought I had cut my napkin.

My very delayed EWR-IAH flight Thursday had them; Though neither my Sunday IAH-MUC nor Thursday NAP-EWR flight had them.
Old May 28, 2023, 12:42 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Maybe the buttonhole was removed due to the number of folks wearing T-shirts, hoodies, tank tops and other torso-ware without buttons? 😉
st3, drewguy, limey1K and 3 others like this.
Old May 28, 2023, 4:23 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
I fly transcons just about weekly and have been getting the buttonhole about 25% of the time. Please don’t take it away!!
Old May 28, 2023, 5:30 am

Programs: HH Dia, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
Whew, I thought it was just me missing the buttonhole. I am 0/6 this month and indeed miss it, especially with red sauce served under eggs as well as enchiladas. So yes, please dont make it go away.
FLYMSY, eng8ge and tdietterich like this.
Old May 28, 2023, 7:01 am

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what are you using the buttonhole for? I surmise from the replies it’s to attach to your clothing in some way?

I’ve never seen a napkin with a buttonhole outside UA in any context—so I’ve just been putting the napkin on my lap.

I figured the buttonhole was for the FAs use
dw, deeruck, lhrsfo and 1 others like this.

Last edited by prometa; May 28, 2023 at 7:09 am
Old May 28, 2023, 7:45 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, cattle-class with many others
No such thing as a dumb question! 😁. When flying in particular as a male on a business trip wearing a white dress shirt, attaching the napkin to the second-from-top button (tie flung over shoulder if wearing one) offers protection like nothing else. The elimination of the buttonhole seems a combination of two factors 10+ years old 1) business casual attire trends and 2) the sad demise of “back in the day” upgrades generally earned only by business travelers with lots of BIS flying (especially on classic-Continental given the generous free-upgrade benefit relative to classic-United).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.