Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Thai Airways flight credit does not post automatically? (seems mixed experiences)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai Airways flight credit does not post automatically? (seems mixed experiences)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2023, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I recently flew on a couple of TG flights, but unlike other partners, my flight miles did not get credited to my UA account. When I called UA they said that for Thai we have to send in the boarding pass as well as the ticket receipt for it to be credited. When asked why this is the case, all she could tell was this is the case with Thai and some other partners. To avoid this PITA situation in the future, which other *A partners have this situation? I've flown LH, NH, SQ, AC, BR, AI, LO, OS, LX and have not had this problem. Recently to get credit for an SK flight, I called up Mileage Plus and the rep was able to do the magic on her end while I was on the phone and instantly get me the credit without my having to send in paperwork. So what's special about TG?

(PS: my TG flights were eligible for UA miles, so no issues with that.)
Old May 16, 2023, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebakaronis
So what's special about TG?
Nothing. You’ve been given bad information. I’ve had TG flights post automatically to my account in the past.
Old May 16, 2023, 7:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....When I called UA they said that for Thai we have to send in the boarding pass as well as the ticket receipt for it to be credited. When asked why this is the case, all she could tell was this is the case with Thai and some other partners. ....
Perhaps those are need when it does not auto-credit, but not crediting is the exception, not the norm.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I recently flew on a couple of TG flights, but unlike other partners, my flight miles did not get credited to my UA account. When I called UA they said that for Thai we have to send in the boarding pass as well as the ticket receipt for it to be credited. When asked why this is the case, all she could tell was this is the case with Thai and some other partners. To avoid this PITA situation in the future, which other *A partners have this situation? I've flown LH, NH, SQ, AC, BR, AI, LO, OS, LX and have not had this problem. Recently to get credit for an SK flight, I called up Mileage Plus and the rep was able to do the magic on her end while I was on the phone and instantly get me the credit without my having to send in paperwork. So what's special about TG?

(PS: my TG flights were eligible for UA miles, so no issues with that.)
I have had both TG and more recently (as in earlier this year), SK post without any intervention.
Old May 16, 2023, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Nothing. You’ve been given bad information. I’ve had TG flights post automatically to my account in the past.
me as well. I can’t recall Thai ever having not credited automatically (on an eligible fare - though disclaimer: not all TG classes are eligible for accrual).

now, in addition to ensuring the fare clsss is eligible, Thai Smile flights (basically anything domestic or on a narrowbody - this is a big asterisk since I think all domestic flights are all Smile now - didn’t used to be this way). This also affects one’s ability to book an award beyond BKK in Thailand and other destinations in SE. Asia. It used to be you could book an award from anywhere, then connect on TG to HKT, CNX, USM, UTP, etc. not anymore.
Old May 16, 2023, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I had 3 TG flights in the last 12 months and they all posted automatically and correctly after a few days.

Only mileage posting issue I had was the beginning of this year with AC, but they had system issue that affected everyone, including Aeroplan members.
Old May 17, 2023, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
To add to the data points, never had a TG flight not credit appropriately. LOMA in action.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
me as well. I can’t recall Thai ever having not credited automatically (on an eligible fare - though disclaimer: not all TG classes are eligible for accrual).

now, in addition to ensuring the fare clsss is eligible, Thai Smile flights (basically anything domestic or on a narrowbody - this is a big asterisk since I think all domestic flights are all Smile now - didn’t used to be this way). This also affects one’s ability to book an award beyond BKK in Thailand and other destinations in SE. Asia. It used to be you could book an award from anywhere, then connect on TG to HKT, CNX, USM, UTP, etc. not anymore.
Yeah, Thai Smile has put a real crimp in award itineraries to any other domestic location. Thankfully, prices are very reasonable when booking separately but a pain/risk not to have on the same ticket.
Old May 18, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: UA
On the Thai Smile side, they are getting merged into Thai so no more problems on that front hopefully
Old May 18, 2023, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by angetenar
On the Thai Smile side, they are getting merged into Thai so no more problems on that front hopefully
Nice. Hadn't heard that. Be interesting to see how plentiful award slots are for domestic connections again.

https://thethaiger.com/news/business...ts-green-light
Old May 18, 2023, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I just saw that - would be better (although I remember the days when they were flying 747/777 between BKK - HKT/CNX - doubt we are going back there).

next SQ needs to get rid of Scoot, which has the same issue. At least SQ has brought 737s in and flying some of those shorter flights as mainline. But I just booked a mixed SQ/Scoot itinerary - can’t earn UA miles on the Scoot segment which actually is the least of the issues - can’t book awards on those itineraries either - even with KF miles, and can’t even manage the Scoot segment on Scoots own app because it is ‘interline’. That seems crazy to me.
Old May 19, 2023, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

After reading the responses here, I called up MileagePlus a few days ago. The agent I spoke to said he will add it and it should be available on the 19th for some odd reason. So I waited and nothing changed. So I called a 3rd time. This agent was able to credit the flight miles while I was on hold. Not sure why these weren't credited automatically to begin with, and why it took 3 different calls to get this done. UA can and should do better than this.
Old May 19, 2023, 12:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... UA can and should do better than this.
You do realize it is TGs responsibility to notify UA (and pay UA for the miles and credits). And in this case, UA is the backup recover for TG's issues. UA's first step is to reach out to TG to ask them to confirm (hence the multiple days and the request for additional info) and authorize the posting. If TG again fails, then MP at some point will override the system and do a posting.
Old May 20, 2023, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You do realize it is TGs responsibility to notify UA (and pay UA for the miles and credits). And in this case, UA is the backup recover for TG's issues. UA's first step is to reach out to TG to ask them to confirm (hence the multiple days and the request for additional info) and authorize the posting. If TG again fails, then MP at some point will override the system and do a posting.
Thanks for clarifying this. My annoyance was clearly misplaced.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 2:34 am

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium
I was on a TG flight on Sunday. It was credited to my account by Monday.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Nice. Hadn't heard that. Be interesting to see how plentiful award slots are for domestic connections again.

https://thethaiger.com/news/business...ts-green-light
Just a data point: Booked a couple Thai Smile flights, which then got switched over to branded Thai Airways flights after the merger. Asked the Gate Agent on one to change my FF account from TG to UA number Posted on UA automatically.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.