Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is the most and least expensive ticket you ever bought on United, not OPM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2023, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus

Saw something similar on reddit and thought it was pretty interesting. So what is the most and least expensive ticket you have ever bought on United, out of your own pocket?

Most expensive: EWR - NRT R/T Dec. 2019, $3100 business, did it to make 1K and squeeze in a trip to Japan. Such a great decision in hindsight. Contributed in keeping 1K for 5 years and counting.
Least expensive: EWR - PHX One way, Feb. 2021, $59

Last edited by azfanboy; May 10, 2023 at 9:37 am
Old May 10, 2023, 9:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Realize many on this forum are business owner, sole proprietors, .... and business travel expenses are personally managed, out-of-pocket.

Non-OPM does not infer leisure or personal travel
Old May 10, 2023, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Realize many on this forum are business owner, sole proprietors, .... and business travel expenses are personally managed, out-of-pocket.

Non-OPM does not infer leisure or personal travel
Good point, but I suppose if you were spending out of your own pocket, even if for business, feel free to throw in the thread.
Old May 10, 2023, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
In the last 5 yrs:

Most expensive was LAX-SYD roundtrip on UA between Christmas and New Year; it was a relatively cheap business class fare by normal standards but most I paid for airfare: $2,700

Cheapest was IAD to LAX roundtrip for $89 (B2B MR in 2021). As expected, got CPU'd both ways.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old May 10, 2023, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
Back when there was Global First (3 cabin intl first class) I found a IAD-NRT for $3200. Least expensive a $79 SFO-LAX RT
Old May 10, 2023, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I don't remember the actual cost, but we flew a Circle Pacific years ago in Business Class. Probably around $5,000.
Old May 10, 2023, 11:25 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Most expensive personal economy ticket was a $3.2k ticket to Japan this January. Most expensive overall was a $4k-ish business ticket to BKK (after UA pulled out of NRT-BKK, meaning getting a C seat on the NH flight was a challenge if you didn't buy C). I'd have to go find the receipt for that one but feel like I landed it during a really nice fare sale and it was somewhere in the upper $3k/lower $4k range.

Cheapest would have been one of the "last minute deals" UA used to sell on their website each week, something like a $42 flight on one of the Indy Air routes (maybe to CLE?) where UA did indeed utterly destroy Independence Air. Cheapest regular fare was probably an $86 roundtrip IAD-MCO-IAD trip back in 2012 or thereabouts. I recall it being $86 because I also flew the same route for work a week later, and got in a spat with the expense department because they felt I didn't do enough due diligence in researching cheaper alternatives, and I said, "Over a $86 roundtrip ticket, you're claiming there might have been something CHEAPER and are wasting my time documenting there wasn't?!"
jsloan, azfanboy and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 10, 2023, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by sfnats
Back when there was Global First (3 cabin intl first class) I found a IAD-NRT for $3200.

I remember taking advantage of this special Global First sale myself. Probably was ~ 10 years ago.

It was the most expensive ticket I bought on United. I was able to try ANA First on one leg of the RT ticket. Of course ANA First Lounge at NRT is/was miles ahead of United International First Lounges anywhere.
Old May 10, 2023, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exerda
Most expensive personal economy ticket was a $3.2k ticket to Japan this January. Most expensive overall was a $4k-ish business ticket to BKK (after UA pulled out of NRT-BKK, meaning getting a C seat on the NH flight was a challenge if you didn't buy C). I'd have to go find the receipt for that one but feel like I landed it during a really nice fare sale and it was somewhere in the upper $3k/lower $4k range.

Cheapest would have been one of the "last minute deals" UA used to sell on their website each week, something like a $42 flight on one of the Indy Air routes (maybe to CLE?) where UA did indeed utterly destroy Independence Air. Cheapest regular fare was probably an $86 roundtrip IAD-MCO-IAD trip back in 2012 or thereabouts. I recall it being $86 because I also flew the same route for work a week later, and got in a spat with the expense department because they felt I didn't do enough due diligence in researching cheaper alternatives, and I said, "Over a $86 roundtrip ticket, you're claiming there might have been something CHEAPER and are wasting my time documenting there wasn't?!"
Wow, you really brought back memories of the "last minute deals". I remember going to Antigua for around 7500 miles R/T in the Continental days. I used to watch those like a hawk and used it more than once. Wish United would bring back that back!
Old May 10, 2023, 2:13 pm

$26 Chicago to LAX. Got upgraded to FC due to 1k status. It was sometime in 2015
Air Houston and D3Kingg like this.
Old May 10, 2023, 2:21 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I flew BOS-IAD many times for $30 each way, back when UA was in competition with Independence Air (2004-05). My then-gf [now Mrs. nnn] and I were also able to rack up enough credits in the Washington, D.C. "Around the World" promo for free round-trip tickets to Sydney. Those were the days.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 10, 2023, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
2-3 times a year fly Polaris EWR-TLV. Used to always be around $3500. Last few it’s been around $4500. August 2021 got it for $2400. Mainly nonstop but I’ve flown through Dulles and use SA partners as well. Only once or twice right after COVID’s main waves was I able to confirm pluspoints at booking and I won’t risk it. Swiss and then Lufthansa are my favorites when making a stop, Don’t like the narrow bodies on the flights from and to TLV from Europe. Swiss used to fly wide bodies but not anymore. Looking forward to my first experience on an A380 back from TLV through Munich this summer and bid on a first class upgrade as my fare bucket didn’t qualify for plus points on LH.
Old May 10, 2023, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Least expensive: About six years ago when United was trying to compete with Spirit on ORD-MSP, I once got a one-way fare (G fare code) for $35, and got upgraded. The taxi fare once I arrived at MSP was significantly more expensive than the plane ticket...

Most expensive: When I got married in 2016, for our honeymoon trip I bought first class on the 3-class SFO-LHR 747 flight for myself (and used miles for my fiancee), with the return LHR-ORD being in business; that ticket for me was $4,700.
Old May 10, 2023, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
My most expensive was $1,800~ r/t for a W fare in May, 2012 LHR-SYD so I could attend OzFest in CBR and then meet my Uncle and Grandpa in LHR for the latter's 94th birthday. The fare ex-DEN was $2,500++ for a W fare, so I used 67.5K RDMs for DEN-FRA-LHR on LH F to position there and 50K CO RDMs (transferred from Amex) for LHR-YVR on VS and YVR-DEN on UAL.

Least expensive was likely my first mileage run in May, 2010. An FTer PM'd me to say DEN-TVC was on sale (Base Fare: 20.00 USD, Taxes & Fees: 50.20 USD, Total: 70.20 USD) and it could be routed via SFO and ORD. My Mom and I flew DEN-SFO-ORD-TVC, overnighted and returned TVC-ORD-SFO-DEN the following morning. This is also the first time I met an FTer in the wild! SanDiego1K and her husband were in the old UAL RCC on the F concourse at ORD (remember the tiny room) and spotted my FT tag
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 10, 2023, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Most expensive: FRA-LAS R/T Nov. 2021. $3369.07 in J. Did it to keep 1K for another year.
Least expensive: LAS-FAT R/T Nov. 2021 ~$146 in Y. Same day return for the sake of travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.