Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to monitor upgrade prices?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2023, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Best way to monitor upgrade prices?

Upgrade prices for United trips to Europe seem to be fluctuating like crazy right now. On the UA Reddit group people are reporting things like $300 premium plus upgrades, and I just checked one of my own upcoming flights to Europe and the price for both PP and Polaris just dropped by like $1000 since this morning. Still not low enough for me, but if either drops by a little bit more I might jump on it.

Is there any kind of app or alert or service to subscribe to (totally happy to pay) that monitors this? Or is this just a matter of logging into the app and checking price offered manually on like an hourly basis?
Old May 9, 2023, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Since upgrade offers are dynamic based on the flying passenger and reservation (eg: I've seen non-status passengers offered upgrades cheaper than 1K/GS), I doubt there are any "upgrade" monitoring services. And even if there were, there's no way for them to be accurate without giving them your record locator. I'd recommend monitoring flight loads and checking daily or when lower fare premium cabin or award fare classes open.
Old May 9, 2023, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks---how do you know when lower cost premium fares open?
Old May 9, 2023, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If it's just differential fares, set up a Google Flights alert to monitor the premium cabin fares.
JALsnipe and paultopia like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by paultopia
Thanks---how do you know when lower cost premium fares open?
You can use Expert Mode search (or a tool like ExpertFlyer) to identify when specific fare classes open (eg: discount premium cabin fares like P or R), or use Google Flights like mduell said to monitor overall itinerary fares for Premium Economy or Business (assuming you don't have a complex itinerary that can be priced via Google Flights).
paultopia likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. I'm a beginner in understanding airline fares, this is super helpful :-)
Old May 9, 2023, 3:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
IME, For the best PremPlus upgrades offers, look for R>0. ExpertFLyer / KVS (paid services) provide fare class alerts.
And for First/Polaris, alert for P.
jcturnbull and findark like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 11:59 pm

Google monitors are nice and beginner friendly for sure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.