Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very Happy with United Polaris

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2023, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Flew NZ bz for the first time. I am totally blown away by both hard and soft products. The bed is more comfortable than Polaris or LH lay flats. The food was delicious. Reminded me of the old Continental Bz first food where very few items were over heated or drawn in mystery sauces. Aside from perfectly heated food, I was encouraged to customize my meals. It was the first time I ever had perfectly poached eggs in flight. Incredible.
Old May 6, 2023, 1:24 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jsn55
Ignorance is bliss, of course. And when it comes to flying, no expectations makes for a good experience. I grew up in NoMN, where we drank Thunderbird and Boone's Apple Something, so good champagne and fine wine are totally wasted on me. I have no expectations when I board a plane.
I guess one of the reasons for Flyertalk is to get the most value for the least amount of spend. If there is a “better” product for similar cost, would be worth it no? You never know, you might just find something you like better, and is part of the fun in flying, otherwise, we would all just fly ULCC. A personal example, I tried Cognac a few times, and was never a fan, until I redeemed an Emirates award F flight and tried the Hennesy Paradis; now my bank account and liver hates me.
jsn55 and AlwaysFlyStar like this.
Old May 6, 2023, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Flew NZ bz for the first time. I am totally blown away by both hard and soft products. The bed is more comfortable than Polaris or LH lay flats. The food was delicious. Reminded me of the old Continental Bz first food where very few items were over heated or drawn in mystery sauces. Aside from perfectly heated food, I was encouraged to customize my meals. It was the first time I ever had perfectly poached eggs in flight. Incredible.
Give me Polaris hard product over the herringbone NZ J seats any day. Service and food is a different story but on pure hard product I’ll take UA over NZ, LH, LX (old), OS, TK. I would even argue that the hard product is more comfortable than SQ J (just hard product, soft product is a completely different story for all of these)
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old May 6, 2023, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Seat and IFE are the two most important factors for me so Polaris is a big winner in my books. I've usually had pretty good service too. The food isn't great, agree, but that's not a deal breaker for me. The seat is. Agree TATL eastbound is where it really shines.
Old May 6, 2023, 1:54 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Yes, and yes. If only they hadn't abandoned the LHR-LAX segment!
Old May 6, 2023, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
AA Exec Plat here that just recently tried my first Polaris Flights IAH-MUC-DEN with connections to/from Phoenix and I was very pleased. Hard product was excellent, FA's very attentive, food was barf but AA isn't anything to write home about either. Really the only negative of the trip was connecting in DEN. What a total mess that place is. I can't remember the last time I had to walk so far to a connecting gate and the TSA checkpoint is a disaster and takes forever. I guess that is offset by being able to fly in and out of T3 in PHX which is so much nicer than the AA terminal.

Certainly was impressed enough to book my winter flight to SE Asia on Polaris SFO- SIN since OW schedules through HKG still seem to still be in a state of confusion and flying through Japan is just an exhausting trip. Last year I flew SG and have to agree with some of the previous comments on their J seat. Who on earth designed those things?
Old May 6, 2023, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by UAL250
Seat and IFE are the two most important factors for me so Polaris is a big winner in my books. I've usually had pretty good service too. The food isn't great, agree, but that's not a deal breaker for me. The seat is. Agree TATL eastbound is where it really shines.
In the last 12 months, I've been buying many J seats on other carriers because upgrading on UA has become so difficult, and I think that NH's "The Room" is the best, while DL's seats on the A350 are better than UA's. Soft product and service are much better on NH and DL.

Polaris is great if you can get an UG, but buying P+, applying PlusPoints, and not getting the UG isn't worth it. P+ is a bad product. I am still booking UA P+ and trying to burn some of my >1,000 PPs but, if I don't get an UG on UA by OLCI, I usually cancel for FFC and take another carrier because I am no longer willing to fly in P+.

Last edited by zombietooth; May 6, 2023 at 6:28 pm
Old May 6, 2023, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Seat: Reliable and great.
Service: Highly variable, and it shouldn’t be.
Food & Wine: Rubbish.
Operational Reliability: Pretty good.

I liked the launch gimmicks: Champagne flute with chocolate, mimosa cart, etc, .... I’m glad the tower
of bedding has remained.
FLYMSY likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 7, 2023 at 9:18 am Reason: Let's stay on topic
Old May 6, 2023, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
Recently I flew SQ A350 J on EWR-SIN, the longest flight in the word with 18+ hours flight time.

I absolutely hate SQ J seats. Won't fly them again unless absolutely necessary.

I will trade off SQ services and food for UA 777W Polaris comfy seat.
Curious ... what's wrong with the seat? I liked the SQ space beds, not nearly as cramped as Polaris coffin beds.
Old May 6, 2023, 6:45 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Polaris is great if you can get an UG, but buying P+, applying PlusPoints, and not getting the UG isn't worth it. P+ is a bad product. I am still booking UA P+ and trying to burn some of my >1,000 PPs but, if I don't get an UG on UA by OLCI, I usually cancel for FFC and take another carrier because I am no longer willing to fly in P+.
How are you doing this because aren't walk up J fares prohibitively expensive? Booking two in advance?
Old May 6, 2023, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by jcturnbull
How are you doing this because aren't walk up J fares prohibitively expensive? Booking two in advance?
Yes, if I am waitlisted for Polaris with PPs, I'll either buy a backup, refundable J-fare months ahead, or get an award (I'm sitting on a ton of miles). As an example, I have a trip later in the year (to TYO) where my UA P+ ticket cost 2.2k and my DL backup cost 6.2K for DL1, fully refundable (5.6K for the non-refundable ticket). If I don't get the UG by around OLCI on UA, I will cancel the P+ ticket for FFC and fly the DL ticket.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old May 6, 2023, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by malgudi
Curious ... what's wrong with the seat? I liked the SQ space beds, not nearly as cramped as Polaris coffin beds.
I’ve never encountered an SQ bed (in J or even on the 3 SQ A380 F flights I took one time) that was comfortable for sleeping. They are all hard as a rock — and this from someone who prefers mattresses that are more on the firm side.
uanj and tcdtcd like this.
Old May 6, 2023, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by jsn55
Ignorance is bliss, of course. And when it comes to flying, no expectations makes for a good experience. I grew up in NoMN, where we drank Thunderbird and Boone's Apple Something, so good champagne and fine wine are totally wasted on me. I have no expectations when I board a plane. If crew members are friendly and efficient, I'm happy. If the food is edible (sometimes quite a challenge) that's enough for me. I started flying up front on Continental upgrades and won't fly in coach under any circumstances. I get to the airport early, I have plenty to do with work and an e-book and am thrilled when we board mostly on time and everything in my little 'suite' works. I get up often to walk around, so just pop into the galley to ask for whatever I need. I feel entitled to nothing and am happy with whatever I get. In my mind, this is the only way to fly!
Boones Farm Apple Wine and Boones Farm Tickle Pink
jsn55 likes this.
Old May 6, 2023, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by malgudi
Originally Posted by Duke787
I’ve never encountered an SQ bed (in J or even on the 3 SQ A380 F flights I took one time) that was comfortable for sleeping. They are all hard as a rock — and this from someone who prefers mattresses that are more on the firm side.
+1

Two major flaws RE: SQ J seats

1) Hard as a rock
2) It takes efforts to make the bed if you are not familiar (FAs do this for you). Not convenient as Polaris seats as you only need to push the button for various positions.
uanj likes this.
Old May 6, 2023, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Enjoyed my first Polaris flight in a while yesterday EZE IAH

We had flown Polaris a few times, but the aircraft seats were never the TRUE Polaris seat, and I believe the Polaris lounges were all under construction

The seat was very comfortable. Im 6'2 200#, was plenty spacious lengthwise although if i were a couple of inches taller, not so much

Aisle access was fine and once I was in a slumber i didnt notice any foot traffic.

I thought the service was good the FA smiled every time and we had a nice rapport.

I thought the food was excellent

I had a four hour layover in IAH the PL was pretty crowded for 645am.

First wanted a shower was told the wait was 45 minutes but in reality was 15

Finally I skipped the buffet opting for the restaurant instead and the food was well prepared and excellent service.

Feel like the $2000 price was a steal (pricing now $2500-$9100 one way)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.