Community
Wiki Posts
Search

45 Min MUC Connection for 80 YO Senior

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2023, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Question 45 Min MUC Connection for 80 YO Senior

Got my mother a trip for her 80th birthday. Due to schedule change she is now on a flight from SFO to MUC on UA then MUC to IST on Turkish with a 45 minute connection time. She needs wheelchair assistance. How likely is she to make such a short connection time. She is in the back of the plane in coach.
Anything to do to help?
Old Apr 27, 2023, 10:06 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by thaitraveller
Got my mother a trip for her 80th birthday. Due to schedule change she is now on a flight from SFO to MUC on UA then MUC to IST on Turkish with a 45 minute connection time. She needs wheelchair assistance. How likely is she to make such a short connection time. She is in the back of the plane in coach.
Anything to do to help?
Wheelchair would have her coming off at the end of deplaning in any event; I would suspect she would make it with all flights at T1 but I would worry about the bags making the interline.

That said, if she's on the UA Munich flight there is another flight that evening in the event she misconnects. If she is on a UA codeshare of the [later] LH SFO-MUC, then I might be worried.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 10:08 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Anything to do to help?
Is IST her final destination and if so, when is the next flight is she misses the one she is booked? The connection is tight, but the wheelchair service will help her, not hinder her provided it shows up on time. Since you have a schedule change, consider other options that give a bit more time. and asking UA to change.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's going to be a tight connection, unless her flight arrives early. Her SFO flight will arrive at Terminal 2, and Turkish flights operate from Terminal 1. There is a shuttle between terminals that run every 10 minutes. I'd look for a better connection, given that your mother needs assistance.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 10:44 am
Original Poster

She is on UA 194 arriving MUC 9.45 am this Monday and on TK 1630 departing 10.30 am.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 11:11 am

do not do that connection
JPG3392, Marschel, MAJIC9 and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Is it *possible*? Yes.

What's the likelihood that something goes wrong? Fairly high.

I guess the question is .. how would your wheelchair-bound 80 year old mom handle missing a flight in a foreign airport for hours or a day or two?

If that's a nightmare, I'd suggest an alternative. If she's a savvy traveler, and knows how to deal with misconnects, maybe booking herself an overnight hotel and getting there - then maybe give this a whirl ...

But my instincts all say this could end in a bad way.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
She is on UA 194 arriving MUC 9.45 am this Monday and on TK 1630 departing 10.30 am.
Have you searched an alternative flight? You should do this before calling UA to change flights.
Good luck.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 1:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The MCT is 45 minutes, very unlikely an individual needing wheelchair assistance will make this unless the UA plane arrives 30+ minutes early.
Someone familiar with MUC and able bodied, sitting in the front of the plane has a chance of making this flight, otherwise not realistic.

Are these cash or award flights?
benfro6 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 1:27 pm

45 minutes from arrival to departure is effectively something like a half an hour depending on when Turkish closes their flights. There's basically no plausible way someone who needs wheelchair assistance is going to make that.

If you paid out of pocket for this ticket, why not put your mother on the nonstop on Turkish?
Old Apr 27, 2023, 1:50 pm

If you call in they should be flexible if you offer an alternative, even though it's above MCT. I had a similarly short connection with little kids last year and they were happy to move me to a more doable connection without paying fare difference.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Is this all on one ticket?

I see UA offers the connection for sale.... but there are several other options that give MUCH more time at other connection points (AMS, CDG, FRA). Since a schedule change, I would try to have her swapped to one of those.

While it is likely she *COULD* make it.... it leaves room for ZERO error or hiccup.

Also, TK has a 2:20 flight on Monday.... if the same ticket.... they *should* protect her on that.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Isn’t the required MCT much greater when requesting assistance to transit MUC than when not requesting assistance? Or does things like the ACA prohibit that for wheelchair assistance but not for UAM assistance?
Old Apr 27, 2023, 8:20 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
I'm normally a proponent of go for it. That said, just looking at Flightaware, the flight isn't early very often, so I would look for a later connection as a non w/c user.

That said, if you mum is an easygoing type and happy to go with the flow, the MUC folks have always been (mostly) good in my experience, and if the worst case scenario is an overnight at the Hilton at the airport, it could be worse.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The MCT is 45 minutes, very unlikely an individual needing wheelchair assistance will make this unless the UA plane arrives 30+ minutes early.
Someone familiar with MUC and able bodied, sitting in the front of the plane has a chance of making this flight, otherwise not realistic.

Are these cash or award flights?
I agree with others who recommend you rebook this flight. For your mother’s 80th birthday, why accept unnecessary stress and aggravation? 😊
cheltzel, Marschel and jpezaris like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.