Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 1K recently flew AA in J - how does it compare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2023, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite

Recently traveled to GRU on AA in J and for those us with issues with the current Polaris product, I offer some experience and data points:

-This was AA's Super Diamond seats on 777-200. The seat was fine, but I missed having a seat right up next to the window and Polaris has more storage.
-I like the Flagship Business lounges better than the Polaris lounges a little better, but that may just be preference. The Admiral's Club in GRU was quite nice.
-The crew was very, very good. PDB, Hot Towel, hot nuts, excellent purser and staff.
-AA's sundae service is on another level - see pictures below. You can have anything you want and they bring you a giant sundae.

The food on MIA to GRU was good. The food from GRU to MIA was some of the worst business class food I have ever had (picture below.) I would have been ecstatic to have the UA short rib instead.

tuolumne, mdtakamine and CApreppie like this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
-I like the Flagship Business lounges better than the Polaris lounges a little better, but that may just be preference. The Admiral's Club in GRU was quite nice.
I would take PL dining room over the FL buffet-only any day (unless of course you're in F or willing to pay extra for FFD). Buffet v buffet, I agree FL has the edge. I also like that I can pour my own champagne in the FL.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Some international outstation catering is great... and others are crap. Same on UA.

United is stepping its Polaris catering up a bit closer to the pre-pandemic standard, which I appreciate, but it's too late for me, as I've taken about 60% of my business this year to AA... though United probably appreciates it, because the flying I've done this year on United has been pretty expensive and I'll cruise past even the higher 1K standard. But there are some greener pastures for me, as I often find myself hustling to make a flight leaving little to no time to eat on the ground, and edible-to-decent F food service is meaningful to me.

Originally Posted by st530
I also like that I can pour my own champagne in the FL.
Facts... and a solid pour (Piper NV). Irrelevant, but I really enjoy visiting the Greenwich Lounge (old FL) on a transcon comp upgrade as an EXP when I often can't clear on UA with an instrument-supported upgrade!
Old Apr 7, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by st530
I also like that I can pour my own champagne in the FL.
Is this not a function of local laws/liquor regs? I thought the staffed bars were to comply with local laws. (But maybe there's some exception FL is able to take advantage of . . .)
Old Apr 7, 2023, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
Is this not a function of local laws/liquor regs? I thought the staffed bars were to comply with local laws. (But maybe there's some exception FL is able to take advantage of . . .)
I remember the Flagship at JFK had pour your own Piper last April when I was there...
Old Apr 7, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
I don't think so, at least not in all cases. It's not a TX thing as UA PL at IAH has bartenders while DFW FL is self-pour. And even within IAH, all the UA clubs have bartenders (so does the Admirals Club) but you can self-pour at the AF and KL lounges. So I think this is (at least in part) a choice.
SPN Lifer and drewguy like this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA ExP
Originally Posted by CaptJOB
I remember the Flagship at JFK had pour your own Piper last April when I was there...
Just out of curiosity, why is self pour important?
Old Apr 7, 2023, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by akhibhag
It just demonstrates a willingness to invest in the customer experience. No need to wait in line. Just pour yourself a glass and relax.

I'm sure if someone started slamming a bunch of bottles there'd be consequences but as it stands it's a nice touch.
EWR764, Cthunder86, st530 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by akhibhag
Perhaps it's because as a selfless, low-skill act, it frees highly-trained bartenders to do more important things...like make drinks
SPN Lifer and st530 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 1:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I’ve moved over exclusively to United while I keep my 3-4x round trip business class MIA-GRU flights on AA. I’d say AA has its ups and downs with on board food while United is normally inedible. The seats are a bit better on United but not by much.
Polaris lounge (ORD VS MIA) wise the restaurant is nice but the buffet food is more or less the same as FL lounge. I do like the fact that I can make my own drink at the FL lounge or get a glass of champagne/wine without waiting at the bar or whatever.
Overall, I’d prob go with United because of the dining before my flight where I could eat/drink and not care about the food on board. It’s a very late flight so I’ve been going with AA just because they’ve been cheaper
EWR764 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I'm sure if someone started slamming a bunch of bottles there'd be consequences but as it stands it's a nice touch.
I can attest to the fact that this is usually not the case...
CaptJOB and artvandalay like this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 3:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
It depends on the type of on-prem alcohol licensing and local jurisdiction. Most on-prem licenses require a bartender to monitor consumption. However, certain private club licenses are more lenient.

Originally Posted by artvandalay
Perhaps it's because as a selfless, low-skill act, it frees highly-trained bartenders to do more important things...like make drinks
...which there are none in Flagship Lounge - at least in Greenwich lounge. You make your own drinks.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
-AA's sundae service is on another level - see pictures below. You can have anything you want and they bring you a giant sundae.
All other points aside, I feel the need to defend UA for a second. This looks almost exactly like the sundae I had last week on the fkaPS routes (EWR/LAX). Had all the usual toppings - whipped cream, cherries, hot fudge, nuts, strawberries, etc.

Whipped cream was even hand-made, and not from a can.

Was the first time I'd seen the "real" sundaes in a few years, but they are back on UA, and are pretty dang good.
United747 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
It just demonstrates a willingness to invest in the customer experience. No need to wait in line. Just pour yourself a glass and relax.
Interesting - when I fly F or go to a nice place I prefer a bartender. It seems super cheap to me to self pour.
United747 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Interesting - when I fly F or go to a nice place I prefer a bartender. It seems super cheap to me to self pour.
But you're fine bringing your own food on United F?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.