Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA flyers' thoughts on purple / Vitelotte potatoes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P

Originally Posted by wrp96
For a moment there I was thinking they served you rocks before I realized that's potatoes, I think.
Two of then the three were potatoes - the other was purple inside and I don’t know what it was….

Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
That's a potato too.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
That's a potato too.
It had even less taste than the others….
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
It had even less taste than the others….
That's what United catering does to everything.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Two of then the three were potatoes - the other was purple inside and I don’t know what it was….

img
It's also a potato — just that it's purple!

Potatoes of many different hues exist:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_potato_cultivars
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:P..._de_Chiloe.jpg
I'm more concerned by that 'bacon'. Seems easily confused for rusted scrap metal.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
So, scrap metal and rocks . . . yum!

Anyone want to venture what the egg looks like?
Old Nov 5, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
Aboard the airline that gave us sobo and baked sashimi, I believe I spy the grilled pita bread in the top left of the photo kirkwoodj posted. 🤪
To add to this, am I a rube for having to look up what vitelotte potatoes are??
Old Nov 5, 2022, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tcdtcd (Post # 1751)
To add to this, am I a rube for having to look up what vitelotte potatoes are??
Originally Posted by fumje (Post # 1754)
Definitely. We coastal elites eat them for breakfast on the regular. I only had to do a quick internet search before I recalled that to be the case. 😜
Surely we are not the only FlyerTalkers who need to look this up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitelotte
Old Nov 5, 2022, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Surely we are not the only FlyerTalkers who need to look this up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitelotte
Trust me you aren't alone -- looks like I failed the initial test case...

NO idea what this purple thing is....
Old Nov 7, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: too many
I've read all of the November posts and I still have no idea with a chicken and potato vitolette is. I mean, I see the wikipedia link, but have no idea how this translates to what the dish is. Maybe I'll try it for an adventure....
Old Nov 7, 2022, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ty97
I've read all of the November posts and I still have no idea with a chicken and potato vitolette is. I mean, I see the wikipedia link, but have no idea how this translates to what the dish is. Maybe I'll try it for an adventure....
It's probably not what you're expecting because this is what an actual vitolette is:
Vitelotte', also called Vitelotte noire, Négresse[1]: 150  or Truffe de Chine,[2] is a gourmet French variety of blue-violet potato.[3] It has been cultivated in France at least since the early nineteenth century.
​​​​​​​So it's a vegetable, not an actual dish.

So, the first photo is what a real vitolette is, and second photo is my guess on what United will serve with that name:

Old Nov 7, 2022, 6:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ty97
...potato vitolette .......
Not sure why this amusement on a purple potato. These are general fingerling potatoes (but can be larger) and anything you can do with regular fingerling potatoes you can do with a purple variety. Yes the taste is very slightly different. You should be able to find these at most larger supermarkets, there very, very common. We do oven roasted potatoes, cut in half / quarters with olive oil and seasonings at home, using a store brought bay of a mixed varieties -- including purple. Seen them at many restaurants on the left coast.

Potatoes originally come from the Andes and mixed colors, yellow, orange, purple, .. are common there.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 7, 2022 at 6:38 pm Reason: Andes
Old Nov 7, 2022, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not sure why this amusement on a purple potato. These are general fingerling potatoes (but can be larger) and anything you can do with regular fingerling potatoes you can do with a purple variety. Yes the taste is very slightly different. You should be able to find these at most larger supermarkets, there very, very common. We do oven roasted potatoes, cut in half / quarters with olive oil and seasonings at home, using a store brought bay of a mixed varieties -- including purple. Seen them at many restaurants on the left coast.

Potatoes originally come from the Andes and mixed colors, yellow, orange, purple, .. are common there.
As I said,

Ah thanks, mistook that pic for a new version of the egg tart, although it did look a bit odd when interpreted that way. Also thought it surprising they'd stock vegemite ex-US.

Definitely. We coastal elites eat them for breakfast on the regular. I only had to do a quick internet search before I recalled that to be the case. 😜

I think the yellow neck is a Riesling but don't recall the brand (not very helpful, sorry). I had one sip of it blended with Champagne when my FA forgot what she was serving me. Honestly wasn't worst thing ever, but not something I'll request or recommend.

They are not so common everywhere in the country, and given the highfalutin name UA picked for the menu, it makes sense to me that they get a double take.

Still of course, I agree, they are basically a regular potato with a nice color (and perhaps more antioxidants), and no fuss needed.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As I said,

They are not so common everywhere in the country, and given the highfalutin name UA picked for the menu, it makes sense to me that they get a double take.

Still of course, I agree, they are basically a regular potato with a nice color (and perhaps more antioxidants), and no fuss needed.
The problem, which makes United appear unprofessional and silly, is the constant stream of mistakes and strange dish names that would suggest a combination of sloppiness and thinking customers are too stupid to know the difference.

However, the typical customer paying for Polaris would certainly know the difference between soba and sobu, or that fondue is melted cheese and wine used for dipping bread and other ingredients, and not a relish or slaw of shredded vegetables and fruit, or that these fancy potatoes are in fact just a potato and not a dish made from potato and other ingredients.

Also a smear is usually something from your nose while a shmear is the Yiddish colloquial term for a portion of cream cheese or other creamed topping on a bagel (which itself by definition has two sides not one).

The whole thing is just sloppy, insulting and further degrades the product.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ARR72
What is the charcoal colored thing next to the chicken?
Purple potatoes. I wish UA would stop serving these exotic, esoteric ingredients and combinations that don't make much sense or appeal to the average American, and just focus on simple, high-quality ingredients and dishes that have broad appeal. Both DL and AA do this quite well, or at least significantly better than UA. For example, instead of potato vitelotte, why not just regular roasted or mashed potatoes, or another grain like polenta?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.