Wiki Posts
Search

OGG-MLE booking options?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2023, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
OGG-MLE booking options?

ok, call me a fool since I know there might be other potentially 'better' options - but as a 1k, I would prefer to keep this on *A
and maybe keep on 016 on the foolish thought if things so sideways, UA might be easier to work with vs anyone else?
and, of course, might have better upgrade options.

it looked like OGG-SFO (on UA) and then SFO-IST-MLE on TK might be the best path... but UA.com is not giving me the option

going thru SIN might be an option - but each leg appears to have long layovers
there are options that go thru India on AI - which I would prefer to avoid for - well - obvious reasons

looking at dates end of May.....
Old Feb 22, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: UA
Business? Economy? How long of a stay? UA likely won't offer you the SFO-IST-MLE. I see some options routing OGG-SFO-SIN-MLE with reasonable layovers in both directions, but they are pricey. Routing OGG-SEA-SIN-MLE with OGG-SEA on Alaska is substantially cheaper, but you won't be able to book this via UA and OGG-SEA won't earn anything with UA either.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 9:50 am
Original Poster

probably econ for about 10 days.....
I can find stuff that I can book on the TK site
I think part of the issue is the long layover in SFO before the SFO-IST leg - which is a reasonable to see friends vs long layovers (like 8+ hours) in SIN, IST, etc.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfirst
ok, call me a fool since I know there might be other potentially 'better' options - but as a 1k, I would prefer to keep this on *A
and maybe keep on 016 on the foolish thought if things so sideways, UA might be easier to work with vs anyone else?

it looked like OGG-SFO (on UA) and then SFO-IST-MLE on TK might be the best path... but UA.com is not giving me the option

there are options that go thru India on AI - which I would prefer to avoid for - well - obvious reasons

A map from the Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

It appears that if you start by going 2400 miles out of you way to SFO, it's pretty much a wash whether you then go through IST or SIN (but, as mentioned, UA will have no interest in selling you the IST flight). You can save yourself close to 3,000 uncomfortable miles in Y by going west and giving up your chance at the upgrade you weren't likely to get anyway: A map from the Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

This one you might be able to get UA to sell you, although perhaps not.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
and maybe keep on 01
UA loves this kind of thinking. The hamster just keeps spinning the wheel.

Especially if flying economy, I would opt for SQ.
craigthemif likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; Feb 22, 2023 at 10:24 am
Old Feb 22, 2023, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Kacee -
You are probably right, but years ago I got stuck in IST due to a missed domestic connection on TK and trying to get it resolved at the airport (for those of you who know the differences between domestic and international at IST can understand this) was a massive headache. I recall it being late in evening.... and since the tix was booked with UA, I finally called the UA help desk with my US-based cellphone (I dont even think it was the 1k line) and the problem was solved almost instantly.

From my experiences - and would welcome a discussion on this - when I have questions/problems/etc during *A travel, being on 016 makes a huge difference - and typically in a good way

I think TK still owes me money from a canceled COVID flight... good luck in getting thru to them being based in the USA (let alone Pacific time)
-m
Old Feb 22, 2023, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

If you start from HNL, is UA giving you any better options?
Old Feb 22, 2023, 10:55 am
Original Poster

guv1976 - not really - and I checked KON also
seems to give me the same SFO-SIN-MLE (nothing on TK)
but the prices are insane...like $5-9k for econ RT
..interestingly, they do offer some options via DXB on Emirates
Old Feb 22, 2023, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

guv1976 - not really - and I checked KON also
seems to give me the same SFO-SIN-MLE (nothing on TK)
Have you priced a MileagePlus redemption from OGG and HNL?
Old Feb 22, 2023, 11:01 am
Original Poster

No, but afraid to ask. Much just be faster and easier to take a bus or drive.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, but afraid to ask. Much just be faster and easier to take a bus or drive.
For end of May, looks like 95K miles one way from OGG to MLE on UA/SQ. About half that price in mid-May on UA/AI.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kacee -
You are probably right, but years ago I got stuck in IST due to a missed domestic connection on TK and trying to get it resolved at the airport (for those of you who know the differences between domestic and international at IST can understand this) was a massive headache. I recall it being late in evening.... and since the tix was booked with UA, I finally called the UA help desk with my US-based cellphone (I dont even think it was the 1k line) and the problem was solved almost instantly.

From my experiences - and would welcome a discussion on this - when I have questions/problems/etc during *A travel, being on 016 makes a huge difference - and typically in a good way
That's not generally true. Maybe if it's an award. Otherwise, it's the responsibility of the late-delivering carrier to take care of you, and getting another cook in the kitchen can lead to problems.

SQ generally does not allow other airlines to offer discount fares on their longer flights, and they must have decided MLE is long enough to qualify.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I honeymooned in the Maldives awhile back, and our routing out of HNL was HNL-NRT-SIN (on UA, when UA operated that flight), and then an overnight in SIN (airport hotel) and a separate award ticket from SIN-MLE on SQ. Seeing how UA may never bring back HNL-NRT, it may be all ANA HNL-NRT-SIN, and then a separate ticket for SIN-MLE. That's what made the most sense to me at that time, rather than heading via the Mainland and Europe.
jsloan, HNL1K and ctownflyer like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I'd go UA/SQ from HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM-ROR-MNL-SIN-MLE
Palal likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

ctownflyer:
I would need to get to HNL from OGG..... maybe OGG-DEN-EWR-HNL?

I dont even recognize half of those stops

but, worth looking into....
-m

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.