Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2023, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Internationally, UA’s routes have lots of competition from other airlines with better soft product. I’d still buy UA International business class if it was cheaper, but it usually isn’t. I haven’t flown Polaris in probably the last 4 to 5 years. I’ve flown other *A, though, where you can go to the Polaris lounge and then get good food on board (way too much food).
Old Feb 9, 2023, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by Artpen100
Internationally, UA’s routes have lots of competition from other airlines with better soft product. I’d still buy UA International business class if it was cheaper, but it usually isn’t. I haven’t flown Polaris in probably the last 4 to 5 years. I’ve flown other *A, though, where you can go to the Polaris lounge and then get good food on board (way too much food).
There's plenty of competition, but not THAT much from other Star Alliance airlines. If you're flying Star Alliance from an airport with a Polaris lounge then there's about a 90% chance that United is getting a capacity-proportional share of the revenue from the ticket anyway.

IMO, the metal-neutral joint ventures are one of the biggest reasons for the service and catering degradation. When it's UA/LH/LX/SN/OS/AC vs. DL/AF/KL/VS instead of just UA vs DL (or UA vs AF) there is a whole lot less incentive for UA specifically to invest in soft product because customers who care about soft product have superior alternatives that are revenue-neutral to UA.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by johnsmith
note, trigger alert. I know the content below might upset some readers

I am on UA 17 (LHR to EWR) now and the food was actually good. Not good enough that it could have been served somewhere that people would have had to pay for it, but that it won't even impact my next buying decision on a flight. There was something that looked like cous cous called "venus black rice" with shrimp on it and the famous short rib which was cooked only a little too much (but came out not cold)

Overall, as I said--zero chance a restaurant or fast food place could get away with charging for these dishes, but its 6 hours into the flight, I'm not hungry and I'm not pissed off about the options on my $6k ticket.
It's a long, sad road to get to a point that we celebrate the fact that "it wasn't cold" on a $6k ticket... And worry about triggers
seanp7, goodeats21 and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
It's a long, sad road to get to a point that we celebrate the fact that "it wasn't cold" on a $6k ticket... And worry about triggers
It's the typical UA yo-yo... things degrade so badly, and fall so far behind the competition, that splashy improvements have to be made to much fanfare, and the inevitable downward slide begins anew...
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by johnsmith
....the famous short rib which was cooked only a little too much (but came out not cold)...
I guess for UA, this is as good a review as it gets...
Plane-is-home likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Sykes
IMO, the metal-neutral joint ventures are one of the biggest reasons for the service and catering degradation. When it's UA/LH/LX/SN/OS/AC vs. DL/AF/KL/VS instead of just UA vs DL (or UA vs AF) there is a whole lot less incentive for UA specifically to invest in soft product because customers who care about soft product have superior alternatives that are revenue-neutral to UA.
The same kitchen at SFO makes Polaris food for SFO-LHR (highly competitive route) and SFO-FRA (legalized collusion route with zero competition).

The food is poor because UA has chosen not to invest in the food yet. As Kirby said, the next major investment priority is to fix the UA balance sheet.

They reduced $3B of debt last year and should reduce another $5B this year. Once that is done, you'll see a soft product investment in 2024.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
The food is poor because UA has chosen not to invest in the food yet. As Kirby said, the next major investment priority is to fix the UA balance sheet.

They reduced $3B of debt last year and should reduce another $5B this year. Once that is done, you'll see a soft product investment in 2024.
They haven't invested in catering yet because they don't see a significant competitive advantage in doing so. There are a multitude of reasons for that, but I think the JVs are a pretty big impact. The debt impact is a red herring--if catering moved the needle they would have made improvements long ago, but I suspect it's a bunch of additional cost without much improvement in yield. There is a practical limit to how much they can degrade the product before it starts having an meaningful impact, and they seem to be content with, as EWR764 put it, yo-yoing around that line.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
They haven't invested in catering yet because they don't see a significant competitive advantage in doing so. There are a multitude of reasons for that, but I think the JVs are a pretty big impact. The debt impact is a red herring--if catering moved the needle they would have made improvements long ago, but I suspect it's a bunch of additional cost without much improvement in yield. There is a practical limit to how much they can degrade the product before it starts having an meaningful impact, and they seem to be content with, as EWR764 put it, yo-yoing around that line.
Yes, the soft product won't materially improve yield, but it will improve reputation -- which Kirby cares about (given his NPS focus).

Given catering doesn't materially impact profitability, it explains why debt-reduction comes first -- as that materially impacts profitability.

As for the JVs, I agree they harm consumers. The pricing on JV legalized-collusion routes (USA-Japan/Germany/New Zealand) is comical compared to competitive routes (UK/Italy/Spain/China/India, etc.).
Old Feb 9, 2023, 8:33 pm

Don't expect much from an airline where money leads the way.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Even in paid F I’m buying food at the airport to eat at the airport or on the plane. I’ll bring snacks and keep them in carryon so they’ll go through tsa without problems.

We all know that airline food is ok or even bad so I just bring stuff that I’ll want to eat. I know it’s not cheap and I’ll just accept that I’m doing it. Part of the travel experience.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 2:36 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by twb3
Apparently a minority opinion, but I fly for transportation, not for the food onboard. My first priority in selecting an airline is their safety culture in operations, then schedule and price for the class of seat I want to buy, and food & beverage onboard a distant third.
But when it comes to major US, Asian and European airlines there is unlikely to be major difference in safety culture, due to regulation. By and large if flying from US to Tokyo I doubt safety culture can reasonably differentiate to the degree that it can define a clear preference, or maybe I just am not informed enough.
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
The only thing US cariers do better is their call center agents and IROPs handling.
That one thing is very important though.

Originally Posted by Extraordinary1
Don't expect much from an airline where money leads the way.
Money leads the way in every airline. They just have different strategies when it comes to how they go about making money. Emirates or Qatar is no less conscious of profit than United. And indeed many of the improvements people suggest are cost neutral, or even cost negative when one looks at indirect gains. It is deficiencies in management or structure that is the problem I suspect.
uanj likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post # 58)
If you've been around for 20 years, you know that there has been enormous improvement in United Club food and drink.
10 years ago we were eating carrot sticks and processed cheese, while paying for coors light.
Indeed, there has been tremendous improvement, though I believe those delicious Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese cubes were the real deal.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post # 63)
Who is "we"? If you were doing it, that was your choice and you have nobody else to blame. I would have to be paid a significant amount of money to consume Coors (Light or otherwise).
[Raises hand.] Though I've never paid a penny for airline lounge beer, I have absolutely no regrets about buying my spousal life membership for the Presidents Club in 2000, albeit not a fan of the ex post facto access limitations.

I do enjoy carrot sticks for my lunches, to bring back warm memories of the Red Carpet Club of yore.
uanj and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 5:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
There's plenty of competition, but not THAT much from other Star Alliance airlines. If you're flying Star Alliance from an airport with a Polaris lounge then there's about a 90% chance that United is getting a capacity-proportional share of the revenue from the ticket anyway.

Could be. But every dollar I have shifted to BA and AF/KLM, my current go-to carriers for international, is a dollar of revenue lost to UA. Of course, if UA is filling all of its planes, as they seem to be, maybe they don’t care.
SPN Lifer, Dyce and hhdl like this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 5:40 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Glad to read the consensus here - I never book intl. Polaris, only ended up in it accidentally thrice last year. And I was a tad shaken by how awful the meals were.

That said, in PP - the class I did normally book - the food offerings are less revolting than they were right after the Iron Covid Curtain came down. Don't know about intl Coach but I assume it to be parallel to PP.

Originally Posted by halls120
Nailed it. UA has let its soft product become the joke of the airline industry because in the C suite...
I cannot imagine that to be a good deal. Those C suites look awfully expensive for what they provide. How far out is their write-off horizon? Edible meals got to be way cheaper than those seats.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just wondering, if there is no pushback from JV-Partners; after all they are booking customers on codeshares operated by UA.
I imagine NH, LX and LH pax facing the UA catering must be pretty annoyed, resulting in some feedback to their carriers.
(pls avoid discussion of LH/LX vs UA food. Thx.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.