Wiki Posts
Search

UA71 AMS-EWR diverted to IAD 1/19/23

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2023, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, EVA, Marriott, Hilton
UA71 AMS-EWR diverted to IAD 1/19/23

Was messing around on Flightradar and saw a 767 from IAD-EWR and with an unusual flight number for the route. Looks like UA71 diverted to IAD instead of going to EWR this afternoon. It's currently en route to EWR now. Anyone know why it diverted?
Old Jan 19, 2023, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Weather?
Old Jan 19, 2023, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Weather?
Possible. That said, it was steady rain here all day long...no thunder/lightning. Would think it would have less an impact on arrival, especially for a TATL arrival that would not be during peak afternoon departure hours.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Weather
Kind of. Looks like an aircraft issue that impacted landing performance/didn’t prohibit continuing flight but did prevent landing at EWR given the wet conditions and runway length. I’m sure a pilot could explain better what could lead to those situations.
runner450 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
there was a decent, widespread weather system in the area with low ceilings and visibility at the time of arrival.

Old Jan 19, 2023, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by prestonh
there was a decent, widespread weather system in the area with low ceilings and visibility at the time of arrival.
Yes, with plenty of large (and small) aircraft landing at the time the flight from AMS would have arrived. Per Lux Flyer there was likely an issue with performance due to something with the aircraft (braking capacity? something else?)

-RM
Old Jan 19, 2023, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Kind of. Looks like an aircraft issue that impacted landing performance/didn’t prohibit continuing flight but did prevent landing at EWR given the wet conditions and runway length. I’m sure a pilot could explain better what could lead to those situations.
Paging LarryJ , clubord , 757FO
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
​​​I can't speak to the specifics of this flight, but there are plenty of possible maintenance issues that could require a performance penalty that would prohibit the aircraft from landing in EWR due to certain runway/weather conditions (wet/contaminated runway or maybe higher than usual crosswind/tailwind).

For example, a few years ago I was flying a 753 DEN-DCA with inoperative auto-spoilers (i.e. the speed brakes had to be manually deployed upon touchdown instead of activating automatically). The aircraft was perfectly safe to fly, but there was an added landing distance penalty that needed to be applied. Given DCA's relatively short runways, this meant a wet runway upon arrival would have necessitated a divert to a longer runway (which is exactly what happened - we diverted to IAD).

Not saying that's what happened here, but just one possible example how a maintenance issue could have caused a divert while still being perfectly safe to fly.
-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 19, 2023, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Paging LarryJ , clubord , 757FO
Paging me, also

center hydraulic issue with diversion to IAD b/c wet runways at EWR
Old Jan 19, 2023, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by runner450
Paging me, also

center hydraulic issue with diversion to IAD b/c wet runways at EWR
Thank you, paging you.

Does the center hydraulic issue incur need for longer runway, or does it rule out wet entirely?
Old Jan 20, 2023, 2:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by fumje
Does the center hydraulic issue incur need for longer runway, or does it rule out wet entirely?
Simply being a wet runway does not preclude landing for pretty much any malfunction, it's just the resulting landing performance penalties coupled with a shorter wet/contaminated runway likely exceeded the available landing distance. If it was in fact a center hydraulic system failure, then a non-normal landing configuration (using Flaps 20, as opposed to a normal Flaps 25/30 landing) would be required which would increase both the landing speeds and landing distance required. This likely made EWR's runway unsuitable and diverting to IAD was the most logical choice (longer runways, possibly dry, and plenty of company support).

-FlyerBeek
RK23, MileageAddict and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.