Wiki Posts
Search

New Communication from pilots?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2023, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM (40 yr MP), HH Gold, Marriott Gold
New Communication from pilots?

I received an email just as I boarded my flight yesterday to Honolulu. In the email was a link to a video. Appears to be from the Captain. Never seen this before. (Couldn't find a thread about this either.) Has anyone else?

Email - welcome from the captain

Video - welcome from the captain

At the end of the video, asked for feedback on this new communication from pilots. (And NO, my CPU did not clear.)
Old Jan 18, 2023, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrades
At the end of the video, asked for feedback on this new communication from pilots. (And NO, my CPU did not clear.)
Haven't come across it before. Will look out for it next time.

Perhaps in the feedback though, some of us could mention that it would be nice to hear more communication from the pilots in the form of Channel 9, which I haven't heard in many years despite at least several dozen flights on Ch. 9 equipped aircraft in that timespan.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Interesting. Was it the pilot himself speaking in the video? If so, please report back if that was your actual pilot that you saw on board!
Old Jan 19, 2023, 6:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
United -once again- is overthinking things here, IMO.
There is no such thing as a video with a "Personal message from Captain Ted for 'passenger's name'", unless they ask all these pilots to record 1000's and 1000's of videos every day. Who the heck are they kidding here???

I'd much prefer when the captain comes out of the cockpit (if s/he has the time), stand up front with the PA's mic in-hand and address the passengers, just like it happened on a recent UA flight. This is much better than a cookie-cutter highly produced and expensive video.
The [good] flight crews are already doing the best they can in this regard; the pilots are engaging with the passengers when time permits; the International FAs are writing personal notes for GS and 1K passengers, etc.

United Captain "Ted"...<cough>, <cough>...yeah sure, I buy that...NOT!
benewr and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by narvik
There is no such thing as a video with a "Personal message from Captain Ted for 'passenger's name'", unless they ask all these pilots to record 1000's and 1000's of videos every day. Who the heck are they kidding here???

Rar!
evol and pseudoswede like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
At the end of the video, did he say, "Oh, by the way, while you've been watching this video in the gate area, you may not have noticed that we have already completed preboarding and Group 1-4. See you soon!

Could I record a version of this video on my next flight, "A personal message TO Captain Ted from Tarheelnj": something like, Hi from the back of the plane, since thanks to your contract there are 3 deadheading pilots in FC.......If my voice sounds shaky, it's because there's a five-year old behind me kicking my seat. Hopefully I'll finish this video before the WiFi conks out again. The noise you hear in the background is coming from FC, as passengers who haven't had the Zaatar chicken before are being served it for the first time. I am enjoying the complementary burger, though and am glad I'm in row 7 so I could get one of the two that were catered on this flight.
DELee likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM (40 yr MP), HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by narvik

I'd much prefer when the captain comes out of the cockpit (if s/he has the time), stand up front with the PA's mic in-hand and address the passengers, just like it happened on a recent UA flight. This is much better than a cookie-cutter highly produced and expensive video.
The [good] flight crews are already doing the best they can in this regard; the pilots are engaging with the passengers when time permits; the International FAs are writing personal notes for GS and 1K passengers, etc.

When I saw Ted, I was thinking Ted like their attempt to re-do Shuttle by United. Their failed attempts to compete with the LCCs.
TED plane
Oh how I hated those decrepit 737s (-300s and -500s) that they used for Shuttle! IIRC I only took TED a few times and the A320s back then were in better condition so it was nice (except no FC seats).

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
At the end of the video, did he say, "Oh, by the way, while you've been watching this video in the gate area, you may not have noticed that we have already completed preboarding and Group 1-4. See you soon!

Could I record a version of this video on my next flight, "A personal message TO Captain Ted from Tarheelnj": something like, Hi from the back of the plane, since thanks to your contract there are 3 deadheading pilots in FC.......If my voice sounds shaky, it's because there's a five-year old behind me kicking my seat. Hopefully I'll finish this video before the WiFi conks out again. The noise you hear in the background is coming from FC, as passengers who haven't had the Zaatar chicken before are being served it for the first time. I am enjoying the complementary burger, though and am glad I'm in row 7 so I could get one of the two that were catered on this flight.
LOL, I can picture that you don't see the email until you are on board a 787. Then you are unable to watch it using your device mobile data so you try United WiFi but the network address is not allowed without a WiFi purchase. That definitely would be United!

Originally Posted by Amargolis
Interesting. Was it the pilot himself speaking in the video? If so, please report back if that was your actual pilot that you saw on board!
Actually, the crew on this flight made so little announcements. I didn't hear anything about who were the pilots and where the crew is based. Since my CPU didn't clear, I wasn't even close to the cockpit so didn't see them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.