Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Go Light shenanigans for Star Gold

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2023, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
SAS Go Light shenanigans for Star Gold

I am 1k flying SAS on Go Light fare TATL. As I was checking at o’hare they said extra luggage allowance is not applicable because of the light fare(basic economy). Star Alliance website says that Star Gold does not get extra allowance for luggage only on infra-Europe flights. Despite me arguing with them, they did not budge.

I swear I was in the same boat in 2020 on light fare and had no issues like this. And official Star Alliance site says on intra-Europe flights are not eligible. Anyone from here encountered this and has any further clarity/advice?
Old Jan 13, 2023, 2:25 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by compwhiz
I am 1k flying SAS on Go Light fare TATL. As I was checking at o’hare they said extra luggage allowance is not applicable because of the light fare(basic economy). Star Alliance website says that Star Gold does not get extra allowance for luggage only on infra-Europe flights. Despite me arguing with them, they did not budge.

I swear I was in the same boat in 2020 on light fare and had no issues like this. And official Star Alliance site says on intra-Europe flights are not eligible. Anyone from here encountered this and has any further clarity/advice?
From the Star Alliance site:
Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
I take the "Within Europe" text to apply to Light fares on Lufthansa, Austrian and Swiss only.
Otherwise, all Check&Go, Go Light, and Seat fares do not have the benefit applied.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA
Indeed, this is a case where 0+1=0
Old Jan 13, 2023, 4:27 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
IIRC, the SAS website used to be quite clear that baggage was not included in SAS Go Light for anyone - including EB elites and *G. I just checked, and the phrasing is much, much vaguer now. While it does say "No bags included in SAS Go Light" in multiple locations, even the FAQs don't explicitly state that Go Light fares are excluded from the *G bag benefit.

Additional baggage allowance for selected membership levels
A tier benefit for EuroBonus Diamond-, Gold-, Silver members and Star Alliance Gold. They can bring baggage allowance included in a specific ticket and additional bags depending on their membership level.

Number of additional bags
  • 1 extra checked bag: EuroBonus Silver and Star Alliance Gold
  • 2 extra checked bags: EuroBonus Gold and EuroBonus Diamond
  • 1 carry-on in SAS Go light: EuroBonus Gold and EuroBonus Diamond
They do mention it in the Eurobonus section for their own members: "Check in one/two extra bag(s) weighing up to 23 kg at no charge (except on SAS Go Light/Wideroe Economy Light)." As far as I can tell (from a quick look), that's the only place where they mention the exclusion. So, if you don't already know (or you misinterpret the *A website as the OP did), you're SOL.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
So much for customer service to an elite member of their airline alliance especially since it is so vague. From what I understand, SAS has basically turned into a subpar, unfriendly and poorly run airline. That's what I generally read online and on here. Kind of sad considering it is the flag carrier for otherwise great countries.
entropy and HarbourGent like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I avoid all lite fares. It's not worth whatever you think you're saving at initial purchase.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by CApreppie
So much for customer service to an elite member of their airline alliance especially since it is so vague. From what I understand, SAS has basically turned into a subpar, unfriendly and poorly run airline. That's what I generally read online and on here. Kind of sad considering it is the flag carrier for otherwise great countries.
well, to be fair, its been this way for quite a while. SAS is Seriously a Substandard airline... SN to for that matter.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by entropy
well, to be fair, its been this way for quite a while. SAS is Seriously a Substandard airline... SN to for that matter.
SN I'm not at all surprised about as it came out of the dregs of a bankrupt Sabena, which I don't think had a world-class reputation either.

Finnair I have heard is a much better Nordic airline product/service for competitors to SAS in that region.

The OP could contest the credit charge and point to the nonexistent and vague language. It is almost worth it to just spite SAS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.