Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA839 LAX-SYD 29 Dec 2022 Diverted to Pago Pago

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2022, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,

Hi all,

Looks like last night's LAX to Sydney diverted to Pago Pago. Looks like UA was hoping to use the same plane to continue but now has cancelled entirely. Can't find a rescue plane assigned yet.

Anyone know what happened?
Old Dec 30, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
UA100 (SYD-IAH) was canceled; that a/c will be flown as UA2976 to PPG to "rescue" the pax and fly them to SYD. They will unfortunately miss their new year celebrations. The rescue flight was originally planned to arrive SYD 0800 01JAN; it looks like that has been pushed roughly 8 hours later.

ETA: pax were told that the was an indication of an oil leak in one of the engines. that a/c (ship 3955) has landed safely in PPG.
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by riphamilton; Dec 30, 2022 at 1:09 pm
Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
UA 101 currently flying from IAH to SYD (well, I think it just landed 30 minutes ago) will land in Sydney, turn around and return to Pago Pago and retrieve all pax from Pago Pago and fly them back to Sydney.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Not that I ever really want a diversion, but if I have one, going to a place as cool as Pago Pago is near the top of my list. I assume passengers could get off the plane and such since no entry restrictions coming from the mainland U.S.?
Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Not that I ever really want a diversion, but if I have one, going to a place as cool as Pago Pago is near the top of my list. I assume passengers could get off the plane and such since no entry restrictions coming from the mainland U.S.?
If US citizen or other countries not requiring a visa. Sometimes emergency entry visas can be arranged.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If US citizen or other countries not requiring a visa.
The plane came from the US so conceivably there would be no customs to clear for anyone on the plane, correct? Like, everyone on the plane was already in the US in LAX so this is just a long domestic flight, right?
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some folks would have been looking forward to the Sydney New Years celebration https://www.sydneynewyearseve.com/

NAN is often the diversion for USA<---->AU flights
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL839
A map from the Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

https://americansamoaport.as.gov/air...rport-ppg.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pago_P...tional_Airport
Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
American Samoa has its own Immigration Laws for all foreign visitors entering the Territory.

U.S. Passport holders can travel freely to and from the Territory.
SPN Lifer and Kimberoten like this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope that UA will discover that Pago Pago is such a fantastic untapped market that they decide to launch service full-time. Even if only to GUM...
Old Dec 30, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
I hope that UA will discover that Pago Pago is such a fantastic untapped market that they decide to launch service full-time. Even if only to GUM...
Can UA use a spare CR2 for this service from GUM?
Old Dec 30, 2022, 3:37 pm

We are on plane

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If US citizen or other countries not requiring a visa. Sometimes emergency entry visas can be arranged.
we have been given rooms in different local hotels (not that many) and have a tour bus to stay with us and take us to where we as a group want to go...example island tour
Old Dec 30, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Jeff4la
we have been given rooms in different local hotels (not that many) and have a tour bus to stay with us and take us to where we as a group want to go...example island tour
Enjoy your unplanned tourism! I'm rather envious of you, to be honest.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jeff4la Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by Jeff4la
Have UA given you a departure time/date?
Enjoy AU when you get there.
ContinentalFan and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Pago Pago made me read this thread. I’m hooked. I want to learn more. Hello YouTube.
Kimberoten likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 6:20 pm
O62

Definitely a rare diversion airport! I bet that was an interesting conversation in the dispatch office and I'm sure will be a talking point for the airport staff at PPG.
ContinentalFan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.