Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Non-USA origin/destination flights (5th Freedom flights) for UA that can be booked?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-USA origin/destination flights (5th Freedom flights) for UA that can be booked?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Are there any UA flights that can be booked that are non-USA origin/destination?

UA used to have some 5th freedom flights eg HKG/NRT-SIN but those seem to be gone now.

I have some ETC/TB credits on UA but cant find any UA flights that dont originate/end in USA.

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Are there any UA flights that can be booked that are non-USA origin/destination?

UA used to have some 5th freedom flights eg HKG/NRT-SIN but those seem to be gone now.

I have some ETC/TB credits on UA but cant find any UA flights that dont originate/end in USA.

Thanks!
UA no longer operates any 5th Freedom flights except for a few in Oceania. For example, you can book MNL-ROR, or you can book part of the Island Hopper around FSM / RMI.
HawaiiO and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!
Here's a possibility If you don't you consider a connection in the US an origin/destination.

FRA-SFO-PPT
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
In 2019 I booked LHR-SFO-SYD-LAX-LHR. I was able to use 80 PlusPoints for LHR-SFO-SYD and similar for the return. Something I learned here on FT.
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

ya thanks

Entering the US means i need to be vaccinated which I am not.
So looking for UA or Star Alliance flights that can be booked using Travel Bank without touching US territory
Old Dec 29, 2022, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
ya thanks

Entering the US means i need to be vaccinated which I am not.
So looking for UA or Star Alliance flights that can be booked using Travel Bank without touching US territory
not sure if it can still be done. I used to take ua travel credits and purchase changeable ua tickets. I would then call ua and ask to use the ticket toward flights on partner carriers. It was a ti e consuming process, but it always worked.
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 10:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zrs70
not sure if it can still be done. I used to take ua travel credits and purchase changeable ua tickets. I would then call ua and ask to use the ticket toward flights on partner carriers. It was a ti e consuming process, but it always worked.
Much easier today.

Book any UA flight with the travelbank or ETCs, wait 24+ hours, cancel and get a FFC. FFCs can be used for partner flights. Good for 1 year but only for the named passenger and need to be used / travel starting in 1 year.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip!

How do we find out the pricing though for the partner flights?
Have to call in and ask/book?

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.