Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2000 PQP away from 1K qualification - Worth it to try to get the status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2000 PQP away from 1K qualification - Worth it to try to get the status?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
“This brings the value of a round trip 60 PP upgrade to at least $1200 and in most cases quite a bit more. This comes out to be $20-$25 per PP or around $6000. for 280PP. Obviously every situation is different, but my case this makes a lot of sense.”

it does. But I flew TATL RT 5 times this year for work, and had only the flexibility of a few days at the beginning or end. I don’t mind a connection. But I found zero PZ. So after using some on domestic flights, I have 180 left. I’ll be plat and wouldn’t pay more than a few hundred to keep 1K.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Hilmar Lehnert
Typically an upgradable PE ticket cost around $1200 on United. A TATL lie flat is typically $3000+ (with TAP being often the lowest bidder) , Maybe $2500 if you are lucky
SQ often offers $2K biz ticket TATL, but you would have to book with SQ, which few people on this forum are willing to do and get sucked into status chasing.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
I like being 1K for the reasons I mentioned. IRROPS, easier phone contact, some preference in boarding, a free snack box etc. But here is my thought on PLUS POINTS:
I become 1K each year shuttling for work between Denver and Maui. United has the only non stop in each direction. I can also stop in SFO or LA in the mix, but the nonstop is just faster. Another wildcard id In or out of HNL, with a connection on Mokulele, but that adds time and complexity and if Mokulele runs late or cancels, I can get stuck in HNL.

So, somewhat grudgingly, each year I become 1K. I hit 25 to 30 segments, I hit $17,000 or so in spend, and I renew at 1K. But on the routes that I fly, PP upgrades are rare to nonexistent. Vacationers, honeymooners, people getting married; they all buy up to first class. And good for United! But not so good for me. Next year I have a higher spend threshold. Im not sure I'll make it.

Once in a while, I fly eastbound, during the day on Alaska through Seattle. I avoid the red eye, and the cost in first is less than United. But, it takes longer due to the changeover, and in IRROPS I don't have the 1K status so.... So for me, plus points do not work.
frmnj likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
SQ often offers $2K biz ticket TATL, but you would have to book with SQ, which few people on this forum are willing to do and get sucked into status chasing.
a) not often $2k and b) only JFK-FRA which is not very convenient for most flyers and SQ fares can't be combined with anything UA. Terrible earnings on SQ as well.

Don't think this is a relevant comparison for 99% of TATL flyers.
jsloan, Santander and Artpen100 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For anyone who's not been 1K the past few years, and can afford it, it may well be worth the $1000 this year, before UA jacks the qualifying theshold into the stratosphere. That way, with a year of 1K under the belt, you'll better appreciate how spectacularly not worth it 1K is at the 24,000 PQP level . . . .
seanp7 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
a) not often $2k and b) only JFK-FRA which is not very convenient for most flyers and SQ fares can't be combined with anything UA. Terrible earnings on SQ as well.
Forget the terrible earnings — OP’s specific point was an assertion that people “chase status” to their own detriment. The rest, however, is extremely important. If you happen to be in New York, and happen to need to get to Frankfurt, SQ is a perfectly reasonable option when they offer sale fares. However, if you live anywhere else, or are going anywhere else, that fare isn’t particularly valuable. Whenever I see an SQ fare sale on the Premium Fares board, I check it to see if it’s useful for me. So far, it hasn’t been.

I think OP would have a stronger case with a non-*A example. I will ignore most non-*A fare deals, and there you could accuse me of being short-sighted. However, because I’ve had a 100% success rate with PlusPoints, and I’m typically qualifying by the skin of my teeth — I expect to have 111 surplus PQP this year; in 2019, I had 140 surplus PQD — investing $2K in a KLM or BA fare has a real downside. I’m either sacrificing the PlusPoints and thus likely increasing my spend the next year, or I’m increasing my total travel budget for the year by that same $2K. Now, if some deal comes up that’s too good to miss, I’ll pull the trigger — I do have a few non-*A flights this year. But I’m doing this with my eyes open, and with the expectation that I’ll be able to continue to use my PlusPoints. If the day comes when I can no longer do that, I have the nice cushion of being UA 1MM.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: United Premier 1K , Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
If you got the money then do it now before the 1k threshold goes up next year. But I will say that I have had difficulty getting PP upgrades to clear on trans pacific flights. (Premium Plus Economy to Business mostly Korea and Japan) I dunno what it is but people actually spend the money for business class over there lol
Old Dec 19, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1k
My main route these days is BOS<->BER and doing SQ (JFK<->FRA) requires two repositioning flights or taking the train from Frankfurt. Cheapest I've seen for Jan and Feb is around $2700 (With very good availability). It's certainly an option to consider especially if I'm going to FRA but it's not super attractive either. SQ sure is nice but self connections are less fun. United has good service from Boston and typically gets me all the way there (BER, ZRH, FCO, FRA, MUC).

It's not status chasing for me, it's simple financial analysis. If we do just one trip as we did last week (BOS<->BER, $1200+6PP per person), we are already ahead.

Last edited by Hilmar Lehnert; Dec 19, 2022 at 4:04 pm
Old Dec 19, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
If you can get 1000 PQPs for $500 by flying partners, or if you have plans to use PPs next year (will likely be very tough using them on UA metal from Asia, but you may have better luck with LH/NH), I'd go for it.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 3:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm in a similar boat to the OP. After a Europe trip in early December I got to 11,418 PQP. I have an upcoming TAP itinerary that'll net me another 300 PQP or so. I considered a mileage run but ultimately decided that I haven't really enjoyed being 1K this year. I'd rather fly more American next year and stop being disappointed when my PP don't clear/being disappointed with the meal when they do clear.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I was in the same boat - but decided to go for it with a trip to Rio / Brazil. Just requalified and escaped the cold to boot…
Old Dec 30, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1k
Just came back from Brazil and made 1k. I overshot significantly: on the outbound I was rebooked to a D-class (original was in P) due to IROPS and apparently scored the D-class PQPs. Go figure: I had no idea that they do this. Maybe I should keep looking for high chance of IROPS on cheap business flights . Fun trip overall.

Last edited by Hilmar Lehnert; Dec 30, 2022 at 7:32 am Reason: typo fixes
Old Dec 30, 2022, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Just came back from Brazil and made 1k. I overshot significantly: on the outbound I was rebooked to a D-class (original was in P) due to IROPS and apparently scored the D-class PQPs. Go figure: I had no idea that they do this. Maybe I should keep looking for high chance of IROPS on cheap business flights . Fun trip overall.
Interesting. The fare bucket has no bearing in PQP, as it is based on the paid fare. Must be a glitch in your favor.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: *
Interesting. The fare bucket has no bearing in PQP, as it is based on the paid fare. Must be a glitch in your favor.
Unless flying a partner on a non 016 ticket?
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes in IRROPS the ticket gets reissued and original PQP gets lost. Then it is a glitch in flyer's favour (usually).

Originally Posted by ani90
Unless flying a partner on a non 016 ticket?
In that case, the higher PQP would be correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.