Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO - bag drop or Premier check-in faster?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2022, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum

Looking for opinions on which will be faster for a domestic itinerary departing SFO.
I'm already checked in online, if I only need to get my bags tagged and taken am I better off going to the bag drop area or the premier check-in area? I'm Platinum but not 1K or GS.
Of course at SFO they are at opposite ends of the United terminal making it hard to know if I'm in what looks like a long line is it worth starting over by walking to the other area.
This is for a Thursday morning flight, if that influences your opinion.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I was at SFO Sat. morning, and went to bag short cut - I had a bit of time. plus the MilePlay offer to use the bag short cut, plus I hadn't seen it before. So went there. Was several people in line in front of us, maybe took us 5 minutes to get through there. Which is longer than Premier line, IME. But other than that, not too difficult a process...just scanned BP, tag printed at the desk and agent tagged and sent it on the way. Can't speak for where the crowds might be Thurs. morning.

Honestly, I'd go back to Premier next time. While the line at shortcut wasn't particularly long (line at Y check in was way, way, way, way worse), Premier is typically faster (though you have to tag yourself at SFO), and also much closer to CLEAR/PreCheck/Premier security.
ContinentalFan and jcturnbull like this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I was at SFO Sat. morning, and went to bag short cut - I had a bit of time. plus the MilePlay offer to use the bag short cut, plus I hadn't seen it before. So went there. Was several people in line in front of us, maybe took us 5 minutes to get through there. Which is longer than Premier line, IME. But other than that, not too difficult a process...just scanned BP, tag printed at the desk and agent tagged and sent it on the way. Can't speak for where the crowds might be Thurs. morning.

Honestly, I'd go back to Premier next time. While the line at shortcut wasn't particularly long (line at Y check in was way, way, way, way worse), Premier is typically faster (though you have to tag yourself at SFO), and also much closer to CLEAR/PreCheck/Premier security.
Did you get your MilePlay bonus? I did it Monday and bonus expired yesterday and it only said I completed the check-in, not the bag drop. I'm not sure who to contact.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alchemista
Did you get your MilePlay bonus? I did it Monday and bonus expired yesterday and it only said I completed the check-in, not the bag drop. I'm not sure who to contact.
my wife, did, yes. Had the bag checked in her name on the ex-SFO direction.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
Premier area at SFO is always fast in my experience, I would not waste my time battling the economy bag drop area with holiday newbie flyers
nomad420 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Today at 11:10-ish the bag drop for premier Access was busy. Curbside with tip for me. The 10-15 saved minutes matter to me at Sfo. We have precheck and there was still 10-15 people in precheck since it includes GS / flagship F.

I can’t imagine bag drop at this point.

my spouse has an adjacent empty seat. Weird. Wonder if it’ll fill.

Oops they comped a guy.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by UAalltheway
I would not waste my time battling the economy bag drop area with holiday newbie flyers
And that's how EWR was at 7am this morning. Complete zoo. At least UA was staffed up for it, I think it was fairly 50/50 on which to go to, but as mentioned up-thread, proximity to security will be my deciding factor in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.