Wiki Posts
Search

UA to LH gate check bag question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2022, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
UA to LH gate check bag question

Friends flying on UA from LAS to DEN and then on to MUC on a UA code share operated by LH but booked on UA ticket stock.. so with all of the "come and check your bag for free at the gate" talk can their carryon bags be checked at the gate in LAS al the way to MUC or is only on all UA metal? Thanks in advance. Trying to help some newbie travel friends.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by gene2632
Friends flying on UA from LAS to DEN and then on to MUC on a UA code share operated by LH but booked on UA ticket stock.. so with all of the "come and check your bag for free at the gate" talk can their carryon bags be checked at the gate in LAS al the way to MUC or is only on all UA metal? Thanks in advance. Trying to help some newbie travel friends.
​​​​​​Stuff like this could happen, would probably advise against it (this was AC -> NH and UA-> NH)

Forced to gate check carry-ons then hit with a $600 excess baggage fee!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32286948-post140.html
Old Dec 3, 2022, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
This will be fine -- if UA asks you to check your carry-on to your final destination they will tag it and they will pick it up in MUC as if they checked it - no worries.... LH won't even know it was a carry-on....
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gene2632
id tell your newbie friends not to count on getting a free checked bag at the gate. And if the bag isn’t actually carry on size, and depending on how big it is, may be asked to use the sizer at some point along the line - including at DEN where it would have to meet LH size which is typically smaller than US carriers (Id say if it’s not flagrantly above check in size, LH is more likely to check than UA, and if it doesn’t fit, I’d suspect LH for sure would charge). Bags checked at the gate are typically checked through to final - probably they wouldn’t actually short-check it.

if it really is a carry on size bag that your friends are ok checking, then Id say ok. If this is a ploy to simply avoid the checked bag fee, Id say it’s not really worth it and just check it at the counter.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 8:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Agree on not to count on this. When flying mainline and UA offers to gate check. the individuals will get a white bag tag and will be check to destination. There iwill be not charge by the second carrier because this looks no different than a bag checked the normal way.

Note, with a UX flight, there is a second option -- a green bag tag where you pick up the bag at get off the plane.

Originally Posted by paperwastage
​​​​​​Stuff like this could happen, would probably advise against it (this was AC -> NH and UA-> NH)

Any attempt to collect addition fees would be a violation of DOT rules for a trip that touches the USA.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 3, 2022 at 8:32 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 3, 2022, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

The bag is carryon size so that is not an issue. They do have almost 4 hours in DEN so that is not a major concern. My only question what would it be checked through to final destination if the final destination is international and that has been answered so thanks. Between COVID and being retired now I don't fly much anymore but we have done 3 trips this year and on each flight the GAs have been begging for people to check their carryon bags. I also did a quick check on seats on their LAS/Den leg and right now there are only a few empty seats so I am guessing they will go out full and the GAs will be asking for folks to check bags. Thanks again for all of your input.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 5:47 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by paperwastage

I have actually seen this happened, just once. On a domestic flight, GA asked for volunteers to check bag. A guy with a smallish bag (definitely smaller than a normal carry on) volunteered. He must had rocks in his bag. As the GA lifted the bag, she declared that it was too heavy and he must pay the excess-bag fee. I bet this is the last time he volunteered to have a bag checked at the gate.

Free to check bag at the gate is only for normal bags not oversized or over weight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 6:44 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
I have actually seen this happened, just once. On a domestic flight, GA asked for volunteers to check bag. A guy with a smallish bag (definitely smaller than a normal carry on) volunteered. He must had rocks in his bag. As the GA lifted the bag, she declared that it was too heavy and he must pay the excess-bag fee. I bet this is the last time he volunteered to have a bag checked at the gate.

Free to check bag at the gate is only for normal bags not oversized or over weight.
Oddly, neither UA or the other three US majors have a weight limit for carry on bags... only checked bags. Doesn't make sense to my feeble mind.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Oddly, neither UA or the other three US majors have a weight limit for carry on bags... only checked bags. Doesn't make sense to my feeble mind.
Overweight carry on bags basically cost them nothing. They get to count them in the standard passenger weight for weight and balance purposes, so there isn't a penalty for carrying excess fuel. None of their employees are lifting it, so there isn't a worker's comp concern or the time cost of a 2 person lift.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
Overweight carry on bags basically cost them nothing. They get to count them in the standard passenger weight for weight and balance purposes, so there isn't a penalty for carrying excess fuel. None of their employees are lifting it, so there isn't a worker's comp concern or the time cost of a 2 person lift.
I understand that but I’ve seen many if not most OBs with signs stating a weight limit.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I understand that but I’ve seen many if not most OBs with signs stating a weight limit.
What's OB (not in FT glossary)
Old Dec 4, 2022, 1:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
What's OB (not in FT glossary)
More common is OHB, OverHead Bins
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

When I was still working as a sports photographer the rule was nothing in the OHBs that was over 50 pounds. 3 cameras, 5 lenses and batteries in my Think Tank roller bag pushed that limit but I never got stopped and always tried to make look lighter when I picked it up and shoved it is the overhead..... Yes, most international carriers have lower limits and that is what is driving my original question. Again, thanks for all of your input.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
depending on how big it is, may be asked to use the sizer at some point along the line
UA no longer uses sizers at the gate area since January 2020 with the thought it should have been caught in the lobby or security check point. At the gate it just needs to pass an eye ball test, if it obviously won't fit, then it will need to be checked.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.