Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Based in HKG make 1K This Year

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2022, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat
Anyone Based in HKG make 1K This Year

On the last mileage run/business trip of the year and based on my calcs i'm in the clear, and quite surprised. Anyone else based in HKG make 1k this year?

After being based in HKG for 4 years, really considering moving to Cathay but I love ANA too much and thats who I fly when I go to my house in Tokyo.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Why would anybody based in HKG WANT to be a United 1K?

There is no shortage of *A programs with better earn/burn ratios AND easier elite status qualification, not to mention that Oneworld status would be more valuable for HKG-based pax...
lsquare and rankourabu like this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I moved to HK in Q1 this year, and have no problem qualifying for GS again based on my current year spent, althoug I am a lifetime GS alreay. I fly down to Singapore to take UA 2 to the US or pending on the NH schedule, fly to NRT to connect to UA back to the US for work related trips. I prefer the the Singapore route, which gives me opportunities to scheudle additional meetings and getting my Covid tests done ( before the testing requirements were terminated in HK).
nexus7556 and AlwaysEnRoute like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 24, 2022 at 8:33 pm Reason: off topic content removed
Old Nov 25, 2022, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Why would anybody based in HKG WANT to be a United 1K?

There is no shortage of *A programs with better earn/burn ratios AND easier elite status qualification, not to mention that Oneworld status would be more valuable for HKG-based pax...
I have to travel extensively in US every year so UA is better than ANA or SQ for me. Cathay blows and AA is even worse

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I moved to HK in Q1 this year, and have no problem qualifying for GS again based on my current year spent, althoug I am a lifetime GS alreay. I fly down to Singapore to take UA 2 to the US or pending on the NH schedule, fly to NRT to connect to UA back to the US for work related trips. I prefer the the Singapore route, which gives me opportunities to scheudle additional meetings and getting my Covid tests done ( before the testing requirements were terminated in HK).
lifetime Gs that’s awesome. Agree on your points, plus I have a house in Tokyo so United hooks me up with 10 day lay overs in Tokyo so I can spend some time with the wife and kid. I don’t really fly domestically in Japan and if it’s a narrow body I can still request an upgrade via United.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysEnRoute
I have to travel extensively in US every year so UA is better than ANA or SQ for me. Cathay blows and AA is even worse.
While I can understand picking UA over NH or SQ for nonstop flights to the US (whenever UA finally restores service), but Cathay blows? Need additional context there for sure.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Repooc17
While I can understand picking UA over NH or SQ for nonstop flights to the US (whenever UA finally restores service), but Cathay blows? Need additional context there for sure.
Honestly - the pre-Covid CX we knew is long gone / if you haven’t flown them in the past few years - just trust me - don’t / it’s not the same airline at all….
Old Nov 25, 2022, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Honestly - the pre-Covid CX we knew is long gone / if you haven’t flown them in the past few years - just trust me - don’t / it’s not the same airline at all….
I flew most recently with CX back in early 2020. I haven't flown with the carrier since due to obvious reasons.

Has CX declined so much to UA's level?
Old Nov 25, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I flew most recently with CX back in early 2020. I haven't flown with the carrier since due to obvious reasons.

Has CX declined so much to UA's level?
Oh my goodness you can't believe how bad it is -- the hard product is ok -- the soft product has gone missing -- and they treat you awfully -- China's zero COVID policy is definitely trickling down to HK - CX is a hot mess right now and they just don't seem to care - as if they had a choice....
artvandalay, lsquare and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I last flew CX in J in February 2020. Those were the days...
Old Nov 25, 2022, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Business travels in and out of HK are way down. CX and HKIA are facing huge challenges ahead. CX is trying to reach 1/3 of pre-Covid scheduled flights by end of 2022.

There are a number of options for *A flyers and collectively *A should capture significant amount of traffics while CX is slowly ramping up its operations.

BR, TG, TK, LH, LX, NH and SQ all provide good connections to the rest of World. I have been flying to US via NH/SQ connecting to UA, and SQ to Australia and now looking to fly LX/LH/TK to Europe/UK.

No need to be captured by CX out of HK.
lsquare, SPN Lifer and bmwe92fan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.