Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL900 - LHR to SFO diverted to Iqaluit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2022, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

UAL900 - LHR to SFO diverted to Iqaluit

UAL900 from London Heathrow to San Francisco was diverted to Iqaluit (Canada) because of vibrations. A recovery aircraft was sent from Denver to Iqaluit a short while ago. Where can I find what exactly happened to the flight?
Old Nov 5, 2022, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
What kind of information are you looking for? Your post has most of the details.

Currently planning to continue with the new frame at 02:00.

Code:
0900/05NOV
P LHR/OUT    104P  L00.29  EST OFF  127PAWAITING FLT
P LHR/OFF    125P
P YFB/ON     333P
P YFB/IN     338P
F YFB/ETD    200A
P SFO/ETA    435P  E00.05
F SFO/ETA    500A  L13.20
D FCF/* LHR SFO * MAINTENANCE DIVERSION * AMENITIES - YES *

SKED  LHR  ORIG   1235P              GTD  B31 SHIP 3954☨
SKED  LHR  ORIG   1235P              GTD  B31 SHIP 3954
      SFO   440P  TERM      GTA   G1
Sometimes people on the flight or insiders post more here, we'll see. Not sure what connectivity there is on the field at YFB - I assume the pax are stuck on the aircraft unless it was evacuated.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

I’m looking to know what exactly happened to the flight, i.e. what was the maintenance issue it was diverted for?
Old Nov 5, 2022, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fishbowl27
I’m looking to know what exactly happened to the flight, i.e. what was the maintenance issue it was diverted for?
Might not find that out unless you get a true insider. Announcements in cases like these tend to be limited to, 'We have an issue with an engine and cannot continue to San Francisco. We'll land safely in Iqaluit and get a replacement aircraft for you.'
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 8:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Passengers on the plane is the first source

If it is a minor, routine issue, doubt you will learn more

if it is a serious event, https://avherald.com/ may eventually have more details -- nothing yet
Not all diversions will rise to that level
Old Nov 5, 2022, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Passengers on the plane is the first source...
Yeah - UA pilots, IME, are very forthcoming to passengers about issues affecting departure or the flight itself. The only commercial aviation diversion I was ever on for a mechanical problem was a BOS-EWR flight that returned to Boston w/ pilot explaining the issue (loss of hydraulics). Back up hydraulics got us back to a runway lined w/ fire equipment.

I'm guessing the pilots explained the reason for the diversion to Iqualuit to the passengers. The primary question the passengers probably had about the ordeal was "Where the heck is Iqualuit???". I had to look it up on Google Earth when Denver was mentioned as the source of the relief a/c, out of curiousity..
Old Nov 5, 2022, 11:54 pm

Programs: QF WP
YouTube is often a good source, I think the good people of Iqaluit often upload videos of these diversion planes landing and a bit of commentary. I found this one which is not overly contributory but there may be others

Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:51 am

I think you had all the information in your original post. There was unexplained vibrations that developed enroute and the crew didn’t feel comfortable continuing the flight. Until a tech ops or maintenance inspection is completed, there is unlikely to be any thing further as to the source of the vibrations, there could be hundreds of potential causes.

Regardless, beyond that, UA is likely considering this to be a maintenance issue in terms of controllability purposes and all diversions are controllable for amenities purposes - which is also clear from the notes for the flight another poster shared.
findark, SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 2:34 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
There are photos on Instagram if you search for Iqaluit.

While diversions are rarely a good thing, I’d be pretty happy about having to spend a few hours in a place like Iqaluit. Looks interesting and it’s not a place I’d otherwise go on purpose.
moondog, nancypants, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by valdor
There are photos on Instagram if you search for Iqaluit.

While diversions are rarely a good thing, I’d be pretty happy about having to spend a few hours in a place like Iqaluit. Looks interesting and it’s not a place I’d otherwise go on purpose.
How many people on this plane would even have had suitable.clothing to venture outside in -15C weather?
wrp96 and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 5:41 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Some people may not even have the right to enter Canada
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 6:01 am

A few more details here: https://onemileatatime.com/news/unit...nadian-arctic/

Since this is Flyertalk, the important question is whether EU261 applies :-)
jasonp622 and HGHUA like this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Looks like UA182 DEN-FRA had to be cancelled to have a plane and crew for the rescue flight. Expensive solution.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pfreet
Since this is Flyertalk, the important question is whether EU261 applies :-)
Of course not! But UK261 will.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Why?
rmadisonwi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.