Wiki Posts
Search

Kid visit to pilots

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2022, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Kid visit to pilots

Do pilots still do “visits” to the cockpit after the flight during deboarding?

my 4 year old loves airplanes and didn’t know if worth asking or if that’s still a thing any of them do post Covid/911.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by COEWR2587

my 4 year old loves airplanes and didn’t know if worth asking or if that’s still a thing any of them do post Covid/911.
Yes anytime. Please ask Flight Attendants as you board and Pilots will be happy to accommodate, All of us are happy to show children and in fact anyone the flight deck.
rt23456p, VRFast, BearX220 and 8 others like this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Absolutely! Probably better to do it during boarding, not deplaning, as we often have more time to spare then.

Big kids can do it, too.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As a big kid, I enjoy cockpit visits and pilot chats. In fact, I always ask when I see a little kid getting the experience, but I try to avoid getting in the way or interrupting pilots at work. I also try to keep myself from hogging too much time and I only once asked for a plastic pilot wings pin, which I think some pilots distribute to kids at their own expense.
DiamondMile and COEWR2587 like this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by COEWR2587

Absolutely! Message me your flight details, and I will try and contact the crew and make sure she gets a tour either before or after the flight.

If by coincidence your on my flight, I can set something up as well.
Xyzzy, SPN Lifer, nnn and 14 others like this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 7:27 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I as a big kid got to sit in the cock pit before take off on a delta flight recently.
higher_flyer likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Much of the time I (a 52 year old) ask for a cockpit visit upon boarding. 99 percent of the time I am welcomed with open arms. Captain usually invites to sit in his seat, and they capture a photo of me.
cfischer likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As a big kid, I enjoy cockpit visits and pilot chats. In fact, I always ask when I see a little kid getting the experience, but I try to avoid getting in the way or interrupting pilots at work. I also try to keep myself from hogging too much time and I only once asked for a plastic pilot wings pin, which I think some pilots distribute to kids at their own expense.
I'm gonna pm you
Old Nov 8, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Love this stuff -- when my Naval military career ended before it really even got started (vision problems) I now only get to live vicariously through all of you -- there is still nothing so beautiful to my ears as the thump of the door closing, and then the sound and feel of the engines as you head down the runway. All my kids enjoy the visits as well.

My personal favorite commercial aircraft takeoff sound / power feeling is the 757...
limey1K, COSPILOT, Xyzzy and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
If by kid you mean 20 year olds... then yes to this day I also still ask for cockpit visits hahahah
Old Nov 8, 2022, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by 757FO
Absolutely! Message me your flight details, and I will try and contact the crew and make sure she gets a tour either before or after the flight.

If by coincidence your on my flight, I can set something up as well.
As a pilot, do you prefer visits during boarding or deplaning? If I want to get flight deck photos I usually will do it after arrival as my assumption is the pilots are less busy post flight than when running pre-flight checks but never have really gotten the pilot perspective.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Big kids can do it, too.
My wife and I were invited to the cockpit after her million mile flight. I still remember the old days (around 1991?) when I got to sit in the right seat for a couple of hours on a BA flight from LHR to SFO.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
My wife and I were invited to the cockpit after her million mile flight. I still remember the old days (around 1991?) when I got to sit in the right seat for a couple of hours on a BA flight from LHR to SFO.
Yes, being able to visit the flight deck during a BA flight was always something special. The view out of the front of the plane is so different than out of the window seats.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 2:00 am

Are young adults (25-30years old) usually allowed to visit the cockpit and can we get a photo taken in the cockpit or is this practice more so for kids and are there any special rules if the flight lands in an international destination? I am flying Y so I would be boarding last; however, should I make the request to any (or is there a specific one?) crew mid flight or right before landing?

My love for aviation started with United, and I still remember when I was in fourth grade a really kind UA Captain came up to me at IAD and gave me a Boeing 757 card because he (rightly) assumed I love aviation.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 4:14 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by huskyflyer
Are young adults (25-30years old) usually allowed to visit the cockpit and can we get a photo taken in the cockpit or is this practice more so for kids
We welcome visitors of all ages.

No special rules. There may be instances where we're busy and don't have much time but, on most flights, that shouldn't be a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.