Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Service Cadence on LAX-SYD Overnight Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2022, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC

I'm taking my family on the flight that departs around 11pm (and arrives in SYD the morning of the day after). Website says that in Polaris dinner will be served. Will that be shortly after takeoff like on a "normal" flight, or do most people sleep right after takeoff leading the meal service to be several hours into the flight? Also, either way is there a pre-arrival snack of any kind?
Old Oct 17, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Dinner will be served after takeoff, and breakfast will be served 1-2 hours before arrival. In between there will be snacks of some sort on request. There could be a (most likely cold) sandwich option, or only packaged snacks like chips and candy--I believe the provisioning of midflight snacks has been inconsistent between flights and/or departing airports.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Flew it 10 days ago. Dinner right after takeoff. Snacks available through the slight. Cheese plate, sandwiches and other things. Then BF 90 mins before landing.
You can't have 'dinner' later in the flight. My wife tried that 3 weeks ago and was told 'no'
DJ_Iceman and royng like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Thank you both. Sounds pretty much like a TATL red-eye, so we'll prepare ourselves accordingly.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I'm taking my family on the flight that departs around 11pm (and arrives in SYD the morning of the day after). Website says that in Polaris dinner will be served. Will that be shortly after takeoff like on a "normal" flight, or do most people sleep right after takeoff leading the meal service to be several hours into the flight? Also, either way is there a pre-arrival snack of any kind?
Dinner, sleep, breakfast.

It's the perfectly timed flight since a few hours get added to the middle of your night due to the time change.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
You can't have 'dinner' later in the flight. My wife tried that 3 weeks ago and was told 'no'
This could depend on the crew. Going from SYD or MEL to LAX/SFO I get exasperated eye rolls when I ask for lunch to be served later, but they will do it. I have not tried coming back from LAX/SFO but assume it can be done.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Just last week, SIN-SFO, the FA proactively asked me when I’d like my dinner - right away or any time later. Fantastic crew - and meal was outstanding!!
Old Oct 19, 2022, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Flew it 10 days ago. Dinner right after takeoff. Snacks available through the slight. Cheese plate, sandwiches and other things. Then BF 90 mins before landing.
was able to do this last month on the same flight number.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
In Polaris I have always been able to request the Express Dining even when it is not listed on the menu (or there were no paper menus). SFO-SYD Jan 2022 and LAX-SYD Jul 2022. No eye roll, no push back, just please be aware it takes 20 minutes to heat the meal after you make the request. I eat in the Polaris lounge before I get on the flight. Sleep then have the dinner as my mid.flight snack.

I realize when I fly in coach in December this will be unlikely...
Old Oct 20, 2022, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
In Polaris I have always been able to request the Express Dining even when it is not listed on the menu (or there were no paper menus). SFO-SYD Jan 2022 and LAX-SYD Jul 2022. No eye roll, no push back, just please be aware it takes 20 minutes to heat the meal after you make the request. I eat in the Polaris lounge before I get on the flight. Sleep then have the dinner as my mid.flight snack..
I'm traveling to Australia for the first time in March (LAX-SYD), so I'm curious, is this order of things (sleep then dine) simply a matter of personal preference for you, or do you find it helps in some way to get accustomed to the time change?
Old Oct 20, 2022, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slippahs
was able to do this last month on the same flight number.
interesting. Maybe for 1K? My wife is only a Gold
Old Oct 20, 2022, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

interesting. Maybe for 1K? My wife is only a Gold
Would guess it is just crew dependent. 🙄
TrayflowInUK and royng like this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
I'm traveling to Australia for the first time in March (LAX-SYD), so I'm curious, is this order of things (sleep then dine) simply a matter of personal preference for you, or do you find it helps in some way to get accustomed to the time change?
Dine then sleep. If you’re in Polaris, you might get lucky if you ask for your main meal later in flight.

Otherwise, dine/sleep/chips/small breakfast.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
Would guess it is just crew dependent. 🙄
possible. She was really tired connecting from BOS and had eaten a bit in the Polaris lounge in LAX and then just wanted to go to sleep.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
I’ve flown LAX/SFO-SYD multiple times this year and I have always boarded with a full stomach from the Polaris lounge. When I’ve asked to have my meal later in the flight it’s been no problem, the FA’s obliged with a smile. AIways asked during the ordering process (still on the ground).
DJ_Iceman and ZenFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.