Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losing 1K - stay UA loyal or not?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
I was 1K for over 10 years, and earned MM as a result.

I left United largely because United left me. The flights that I would take the most was Dulles to Dubai ( eneded, now restarting) and Dulles to Moscow ( from a different era, ended )

I used to take the United ps flights ( do they even call that anymore) between New York JFK and California almost monthly for years. When United left JFK and ended that service, I switched to EWR but hated the whole experience, so I stopped and moved on to other things. United lost a lot of tech and entertainment people when they left JFK, I also moved to Europe and my travel patterns changed.

I also used to to fly all over the world with United. Nothing is forever, you should stick to a relationship that works for you.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:36 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Eh,...

There's an old adage that I believe pertains here: If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes. Rationale: especially at a hub, if you are not top tier elite you are always second best. I'd stick with UA to get whatever your MM or earned status can get you.
sharmaintl and Live4Upgrades like this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Even if I did not fly business class, I still doubt I would purchase UA for TATL right now. Maybe other *A if flying direct. When I first started flying internationally for work, I usually flew AF for its better service in economy, and PE is very good on both AF and BA. Even today, I am often not purchasing J - I can still regularly find upgrades at booking for miles on AF and BA, and it is easy even without status to transfer miles from a credit card to get what is essentially a really discounted business class deal. Gold on UA and also gold on BA (free seat selection) would probably be the sweet spot.
sharmaintl likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 7:33 am

I gave up trying to maintain loyalty to United. I don't think that United is deserving. I invariably travel with a day or two's notice by which time there is often little chance to upgrade. And on the longer routes to Boston and New York where I am able to travel in business or first class, I've encountered difficulty getting a ticket in a premium cabin because United's given upgrades away, so I book seats in first class either on JetBlue or Delta. I'm SFO-based, but I've never felt so liberated as to travel in business class on other carriers. Singapore, ANA, Lufthansa, SWISS, SAS, Air France, Virgin, Qantas -- these airlines have far superior soft products, and in all but one case (with Lufthansa) better hard products. This is clearly my opinion though I don't feel I'm in the minority expressing this opinion. I collect miles and use them, but I'm not beholden to any airline. I choose based on schedule and quality of service vs. mileage and status accrual, and I am much happier for it.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 8:04 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I'm in a similar situation, although not in a hub city. My challenge is the $. United is significantly more expensive than AA and, to a lesser degree, DL, these days. And I'm not talking about a 2-3% difference.

I'd love to fly United more, but can't justify paying 2x the fare.
Live4Upgrades likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 8:51 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
At the end of this year I will be losing 1K status for the first time in over a decade. Several of those years were as a GS. While travel in my job is picking up, and I will probably get back to 1K levels next year to requalify, I am taking this as an opportunity to revisit the loyalty I have had with UA. Points to note: I am a UA 1MM. My home airport is IAD, so a UA hub, but with multiple international and domestic options, especially for *A. I see my options as being the following:
  1. Stay with UA - it is my best option given I live by a UA hub. Maybe ask UA for a challenge to requalify 1K. And plod on to 2MM / 3MM
  2. Collect on a non-UA *A airline which has a more generous status program than UA. I am thinking TK (open to suggestions here). Gives me domestic lounge access on UA lounges.
  3. Screw status. Fly what is most convenient and pick 3 airlines to collect miles on (I am thinking UA or TK - again for dom UA lounge - for *A, AA for 1W and Emirates for well, Emirates)
  4. Options I have not thought of?
Would love to hear what the UA M+ community has to say. Thanks.
This year was one of the easiest to qualify, with an early year bonus + all the cc opportunities and continued pandemic approach. I feel like if you can't get it done this year, especially at IAD...your future of qualifying does not look too hot, which maybe will affect your decision? I can't imagine it getting any easier for 2024 1K. I am expecting UA to creep it up a little towards what was their original 2020 qual.

Last edited by Weyland Yutani Corp; Oct 3, 2022 at 9:37 am
Old Oct 3, 2022, 9:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sharmaintl
Good questions. I should have clarified. See below
Get a United Club credit card so that you can get faster service in person when there's IRROPS.
Credit card earnings will supplement your flight earnings if you want more points.
Plus, obviously, you'll now have full lounge access whenever you fly.

If you want the upgrades, buy the premium domestic ticket or upgrade for cash at check-in.

If service and IRROPS handling is what you are after, United mileage plus is the only place you'll get it.. and the only preference is based on United status.. not Turkish status or anyone else.
sharmaintl likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 10:15 am

For me, as a 1MM on UA, one of the highly valuable intangibles is knowing the system --- schedule patterns, airframe features, airport layouts, lounge options, etc. That knowledge allows me to avoid a lot of mistakes, helps recover quickly with IRROPS, and ultimately ensures smooth and often enjoyable travel. But here's the catch: I don't fly enough to earn that deep knowledge without paring down the options from all available airlines and alliances. For my travel patterns, *A makes the most sense, and so have concentrated on its member airlines, and even then, mostly UA, LH and LX. While I get recognized for that loyalty with status, I also get the benefits from knowing the system.

If the OP is in the same situation where there are realistically limited numbers of hours to spend on travel planning and funds to spend on the travel itself, then Option 1 seems to be the best, especially with a challenge request.
sharmaintl likes this.

Last edited by jpezaris; Oct 3, 2022 at 12:23 pm Reason: clarity
Old Oct 3, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: United 1K, 1.9MM
I will also lose 1K after 18 years, some of them as a GS and I am 1MM and not far from 2MM. Since I am fly much less, I am considering going for 2MM and Platinum for life.
SPN Lifer, Silver Fox and nomad420 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
..On earnings, UA tickets are biased toward higher earns on UA ticketed flights and UA operated flights....
Is this universally true?

At the approximate same cost, I got higher credits on MP for LH PE flights than for UA PE flights.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by weero
Is this universally true?

At the approximate same cost, I got higher credits on MP for LH PE flights than for UA PE flights.
Middle fares like the lowest discount PremEcon tend fares to do well on partners but watch out for the caps on longer flights. Higher fares on partners are regularly capped out,
And due to very weak multipliers, lower fares may be better on UA.

There are exceptions all over the place.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by acr113
I will also lose 1K after 18 years, some of them as a GS and I am 1MM and not far from 2MM. Since I am fly much less, I am considering going for 2MM and Platinum for life.
I sit exactly in the same situation with about the same past hx of 1K and GS experience. I am currently at about 1.75 million LT miles and would love to hit LT Plat but that will take longer than I would probably like as my business travel has been cut back over the last several years. Probably would be at 2mil LT miles but I had about a 3 years love/hate relationship with AS and flew well over 100K with them during that time. Since AS pulled back service in the Bay Area I came back to UA more recently. I will probably still stick with UA for the present time as I will have at least Gold (probably will make Plat this year) and since SFO is a UA hub they fly pretty much everywhere I need to be. While not crazy about many issues with UA it currently is the "devil that I know".
sharmaintl and Live4Upgrades like this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 7:23 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Middle fares like the lowest discount PremEcon tend fares to do well on partners but watch out for the caps on longer flights. Higher fares on partners are regularly capped out,
And due to very weak multipliers, lower fares may be better on UA.
There are exceptions all over the place.
We flew DCA-YYZ-GRU recently and got 1500 +100 PQP on each way on a C class ticket for $6k = 3k total PQP
UA was $7k - if I had got the UA ticket, I would have 7k PQP from the flights and would be at 13k PQP for the year instead of 9k
That was a $1K difference in price for each of us but that cost me 4k PQP - likely between difference between PP and 1k for next year
However, the AC flights were much better in soft and hard product and the royal Highness will prefer AC to UA in future, thank you very much!
The devil is in the details and there are a lot of details .....
zombietooth likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 7:37 pm

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Originally Posted by zombietooth
As someone who can almost never use my PPs, and hasn't had a CPU in over 3 years, I don't see any significant value in 1K over Gold. Gold is very valuable for international lounge access, E+ at booking, and 2x70lbs baggage. However, I am almost always in paid F domestically and for that, 1K is meaningless. Internationally, I buy the cheapest J ticket, regardless of carrier. If I can find PZ, I will book it, but that is a very tough proposition these days. Also, when you are in paid F/J on another carrier, you are treated as well or better than as a 1K on UA. In fact, in J on ANA or THAI, I am treated far better than I'm ever treated on a UA flight.

I think that free agency is the way to go. Now, if things should change to where more PZ inventory is being made available or STW comes back, this value analysis goes out the window. The value of 1K/GS hinges primarily on one thing; being able to use your PPs.
I value Plat for access to IN. There are plenty of examples recently where PN=IN, and no PZ, so in some respects Plat is the new GS Given how easy it is to accumulate Chase points (which transfer to UA, AF, SQ, etc.), I am more than happy to shoot for Plat and be done with it.

I also did the DL Plat status match and will be getting that thru Jan 2024 on the basis of 3 flights (AM, KL). Enough time to see how the various airlines respond to the post-Covid business travel landscape.

That's my master plan, FWIW
zombietooth likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by acr113
But 2MM isn't worth anything, only 1MM and 3MM are.

Platinum is indistinguishable from Gold in my experience. 1K is considerably less bad than Plat/Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.