Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

AA's New Cabin Refresh - Has Polaris Been Left In The Dust?Are seat doors the future?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA's New Cabin Refresh - Has Polaris Been Left In The Dust?Are seat doors the future?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I'm a fan of doors and I was disappointed that Polaris didn't include them at the start, even though DL said their future product would back then. At the EWR event where they unveiled Polaris, one of the more frequent comments was about a lacking door. Gimmick or not, I still wish they had it.

But more importantly, I wish they didn't diminish the soft product as much as they did -especially food quality. When launched, it was a great product. Remember wine flights? Bloody Mary carts? Hot midnight snacks on demand? I miss them all. Now you can't even get edible food on most UA flights. I'm a GS that pays for F/J and the poor food alone has me questioning whether I should have any relationship with UA moving forward.

My other complaint with Polaris at the start was that it is so tight. If the proportions were just spread out 1" in all directions, especially in the foot hole, it would really be a perfect seat. And them shrinking it a bit down from 773 to 787 made me seek out the old BusinessFirst lieflats when there were still enough of them out there.

When Polaris 2.0 comes out, I hope they figure out a way to get a little more space. But in the meantime, they better improve the soft product and especially the food quality. Otherwise I won't be around as a customer to try out the new product.
PACLipper, EWR764, Dyce and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
The biggest issue with Polaris is the soft product. The seats/bedding/privacy are all up to par (in the new seating not on 752’s, etc.). The food is just awful. The service is hit or miss, sometimes amazing and sometimes awful. That can happen on most US-based airlines though.

I flew B6 premium transcon on their newer plane (20 or so J seats, all 1-1 config) and was very impressed. The seat, TV, and food were all wonderful!
EWR764 and oopl like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
But more importantly, I wish they didn't diminish the soft product as much as they did -especially food quality. When launched, it was a great product. Remember wine flights? Bloody Mary carts? Hot midnight snacks on demand? I miss them all. Now you can't even get edible food on most UA flights.
Even more sad is that the decline in the soft product was not even gradual...the then Polaris soft product was launched in December of 2016, and was alive and well through 2017, 2018, and I think 2019? That is only four years ago. Today its a joke - it's ridiculous - its unfair. UA you should be ashamed of yourself.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 1:29 am

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
Weatherboy,
If you are a true GS then you will stick around, no other carrier caters to the GS type folks like United does and that is a fact.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 4:34 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Tend to agree with the general sentiment that Polaris isn't irrelevant because of these upgrades. One could argue that AA is catching up to the Delta and UA hard product. Where Polaris continues to suffer is the soft product, meal etc... The hard product remains one of the best.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 4:47 am

I'm a fan of doors and I was disappointed that Polaris didn't include them at the start ...
My wife experienced Polaris internationally for the first time over the summer and her first question was if there was a door! For my tastes, either way is fine, but the door provides and important potential surface for sound absorption when closed, and would block additional noise from the aisle. I'd like to see them.

My other complaint with Polaris at the start was that it is so tight. If the proportions were just spread out 1" in all directions ...
You do know that the aisle-side arm rest can be lowered down to bed level, right? That gives you an additional 1 to 2 inches at the shoulders. I know I sometimes forget to lower it; maybe they can make it automatic when the seat gets switched to lay-flat mode when, eventually, Polaris is revised.

But I'd also like to see an additional inch in width at the feet, maybe even in height when in lay-flat configuration.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
There is always a risk with being the first out of the gate with a new industry leading product - or at least industry leading initially - but first Delta, and now AA have introduced new business class products that seem to render Polaris obsolete.

The new AA cabin on the 787 and 321, including a retrofit to the other widebody fleet, includes privacy doors, better privacy options for the middle seats, and a more luxurious look and feel than Polaris seats, along with a new PY seat that seems to leave the UA version in the dust.

So, while competitors are upgrading their inflight hard and soft products, we only see Kutbacks and service reductions over here.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...m-economy/amp/
My personal take is the seats are fine I do not need doors. What I want is product consistency so I get the same seat with same dimensions on all wife bodies.

What I want is for united to stop cutting soft product stuff-- the seat is fine but the general service offering as gone to $h!t.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:17 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by jp12687
My personal take is the seats are fine I do not need doors. What I want is product consistency so I get the same seat with same dimensions on all wife bodies.

What I want is for united to stop cutting soft product stuff-- the seat is fine but the general service offering as gone to $h!t.
The seats used in 777s won't fit in a 787. That's why they are slightly narrower.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by jp12687
What I want is product consistency so I get the same seat with same dimensions on all wife bodies.
I can tell you from personal experience that not all wife bodies are created equally.
😂
cesco.g, FLYMSY, UA_Flyer and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:55 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
The current Polaris seat is pretty near perfect (for me, anyway). It has plenty of privacy already, and retains good legroom, foot space and storage. Based on the renderings, the new AA seat looks tighter and more claustrophobic. If United were to change anything it would be to improve the currently sub-par longhaul meal service! Be gone with the cabbage and edamame salad, and the crime against cauliflower for good.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by EWR764
Eh, I think that's a little alarmist.
Well said.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yep, the 2024 AA seat is much better than the 2022 UA seat.

Maybe we should wait until they actually have a plane in this configuration before declaring UA's offering dead?
You don't have to wait that long. Just fly QR 787-9 and you will experience the same seat
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
You don't have to wait that long. Just fly QR 787-9 and you will experience the same seat
Obviously a "gimmick" if the AA anti-door crowd is to be believed 🙄.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Obviously a "gimmick" if the AA anti-door crowd is to be believed 🙄.
The real problem for me isn't the door, it's that Adient just made an overall worse seat that they happened to add a door to, and that's not worth the compromise. To me the older Super Diamond seat on QR's 787-8 is more comfortable than the Adient suite on the 787-9, no question about it. It's a shame that QR couldn't fit a version of the proper Qsuite on the 787.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by jpezaris
You do know that the aisle-side arm rest can be lowered down to bed level, right? That gives you an additional 1 to 2 inches at the shoulders. I know I sometimes forget to lower it; maybe they can make it automatic when the seat gets switched to lay-flat mode when, eventually, Polaris is revised.
That definitely helps in bed mode, but not when the seat is upright. Looking at the overhead shot of the new AA seat in the linked post, it looks like the combination of the door and the larger video screen make for a seat that's fairly narrow at the shoulder in the seat position. With the old AA herringbones, you had some room to move your shoulder into the aisle at times as needed.

Last edited by dtremit; Sep 21, 2022 at 11:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.